Bills D #1 in NFL

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about #1, but I thought the defense played very well at times last year. Had a few bad games but some very good ones as well. I do think it will be more consistent for a variety of reasons this year. Should help the ranking and stats for whatever that is worth (all I care about is wins, personally)

Espiciallly against the jets maybe we could jut fill our schedule with games against them

We dropped into the 20's as far as D right?

Lets say they improved to.....say......tenth overall

We would have made the playoffs with that production last year.......I mean think about it for a minute....went went FOUR and TWO in the AFC East

So the D needs to improve a bunch....

The O needs to be slightly better

third

what is the update on lawson? has there been any reports on his rehab?

There's a short blurb in either the news or GR. He says reports of his missing 1/2 of the season are off base.

Here it is

There's a short blurb in either the news or GR. He says reports of his missing 1/2 of the season are off base.

Here it is

Sorry...read again after posting and I can't find anything new from Lawson. What about you twitters?

Bold prediction. Bills should be helped by returns from injury, draft additions, and familiarity with scheme in year 2. But being the number 1 scoring defense in the NFL is a lot. I would take the defense vaulting into the top 10. If the Bills defense is number 1 then I think they most likely will make the playoffs this year, the offense would just need to be below average if the Bills defense is the best in the league.

I think the Bills defense will need to be top 10 at the very least if they hope to make the playoffs. The offense was 12th last year and even with some regression they should still be a top half of the league unit.

"And I think Rex has learned from last season's mistakes and will make productive adjustments."

what part of his personality or past performance makes you think this is true?

I certainly don't consider Rex one of the NFL's elite coaches. But after reading Collision Low Crossers, it's clear Rex is a bright guy who thinks a lot about what he does. And he's got other bright guys on his coaching staff. While we can argue about Rex's record as a defensive guru, Rex has never before sunk a defense before like he did this one. Needless to say, that caused a lot of reflection. And what we've been hearing from both coaches and players is that there's already visible changes this year.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Who are the 3 rookies that we need to make a big impact? I am only counting Ragland.

Washington - he will be in a rotation at DL so we basically need him to just not suck while he goes through that rotation

Shaq Lawson is going to be mentored and spelled by Manny Lawson.....who is basically a solid player for Rex?

The guys we need to make impact plays have not left......Gilmore, Darby, Big Stuff, Meatball, Aaron Williams, Hughes

Pretty Sure our GM said those 3 would start from day 1. Sounds like they are expected to make a big impact to me, but that's just me. Guess the GM doesn't know what he be talking about.

There is a lot of talent up and down this roster. you've got to think last year was a fluke and that this year they get back to the top.

What if....last years defense was all we can expect to see again this year?

I gotta think that Rex Ryan stepped into an almost perfect situation with those 2009 NY Jets in that he inherited a defense from Eric Mangini and a team that was already loaded with defensive talent that went 9-7 in 2008. Then Mangini being a Bill Belichick disciple who runs a varied schemed 3-4 two-gap D-line system and all Ryan needed to do was bring in a few players familiar with his nomenclature. Hence the reason for that league-leading defense for two seasons and once opponents learned how to play against it then it didn't go so well as time went on. This despite the fact that the Jets spent every first round pick on defense in Ryan's six years there.

Ryan's Bills team swept the Jets and Dolphins last year but let's face it that Miami had some pretty bad coaching and that improved in hiring Adam Gase to tutor Talleywhacker. As far as the Jets go, Ryan had a lot of motivated revenge on his mind to beat the team 2x that fired him and if you look back at Ryan Fitzpatrick's record against Ryan's Jets he was 1-5. So, it's not inconceivable that Rex Ryan knew how to win against Gailey's offense with Fitz at QB and the same thing against Miami.

I know all the Bills fans out there want to see the penalty problems fixed, the various communication problems fixed, the lack of pass rush fixed. We are all hoping for the best this year! But, perhaps all we will get is another year of excuses from a bad head coach.

Believe it or not, I've been wanting a team like that 2000 Ravens team that pounds the rock and plays great defense for forever in Buffalo. Ryan looked to be the perfect guy to do that and so while I've complained a lot about him since week two of last season...it's because my expectations were the #1 defense in the league last year! Time will tell.

I gotta think that Rex Ryan stepped into an almost perfect situation with those 2009 NY Jets in that he inherited a defense from Eric Mangini and a team that was already loaded with defensive talent that went 9-7 in 2008. Then Mangini being a Bill Belichick disciple who runs a varied schemed 3-4 two-gap D-line system and all Ryan needed to do was bring in a few players familiar with his nomenclature. Hence the reason for that league-leading defense for two seasons and once opponents learned how to play against it then it didn't go so well as time went on. This despite the fact that the Jets spent every first round pick on defense in Ryan's six years there.

Ryan's Bills team swept the Jets and Dolphins last year but let's face it that Miami had some pretty bad coaching and that improved in hiring Adam Gase to tutor Talleywhacker. As far as the Jets go, Ryan had a lot of motivated revenge on his mind to beat the team 2x that fired him and if you look back at Ryan Fitzpatrick's record against Ryan's Jets he was 1-5. So, it's not inconceivable that Rex Ryan knew how to win against Gailey's offense with Fitz at QB and the same thing against Miami.

I know all the Bills fans out there want to see the penalty problems fixed, the various communication problems fixed, the lack of pass rush fixed. We are all hoping for the best this year! But, perhaps all we will get is another year of excuses from a bad head coach.

Well, there's that....

Believe it or not, I've been wanting a team like that 2000 Ravens team that pounds the rock and plays great defense for forever in Buffalo. Ryan looked to be the perfect guy to do that and so while I've complained a lot about him since week two of last season...it's because my expectations were the #1 defense in the league last year! Time will tell.

I think you're take on Rex is mostly right. But you didn't mention that despite all those early draft picks, the Jets D was not loaded with talent in Rex's later years.

It's hard for me to imagine a guy as bright as Rex, who watches film as much as he does, not being able to adjust to new wrinkles in offensive schemes. How much have offenses evolved in the past 10/20 years? Rex can't study tape and see how the great D's are adapting? His DC and position coaches can't figure it out either?

I'm not looking for Rex/Thurman to have the best D in the league. But I am hoping for our D to at least be in the #5 to #10 tier. I'm hoping for the same from Roman and the O.

I'm not looking for Rex/Thurman to have the best D in the league. But I am hoping for our D to at least be in the #5 to #10 tier. I'm hoping for the same from Roman and the O.

I'd love exactly that!

(And maybe a little less bravado - just do it!)

I think you're take on Rex is mostly right. But you didn't mention that despite all those early draft picks, the Jets D was not loaded with talent in Rex's later years.

It's hard for me to imagine a guy as bright as Rex, who watches film as much as he does, not being able to adjust to new wrinkles in offensive schemes. How much have offenses evolved in the past 10/20 years? Rex can't study tape and see how the great D's are adapting? His DC and position coaches can't figure it out either?

You would think that Rex was right there working with the GM on who to draft and who to acquire in free agency his last four years just like he was his first two years. If you look over those 6 years of drafting the Jets during Rex's time there he missed on just about every defensive position except DT.

That second sentence is what gets me because you would think that he would adapt and change with what offenses are currently doing. Yet we all saw last season he couldn't get the most out of four of the very best defensive linemen in the league and put them into a scheme that didn't utilize their best abilities. Square peg, round hole type of thing. Who would have thought that would happen with all those pro bowlers?

Now without the teams best pass rusher gone and the other pass rushing DE more suited to play OLBer then DE in his 3-4. I gotta wonder if the defense will indeed be fixed this year. Like someone else said, this defense has far too much talent to be in the last 10.

Maybe, this is a top 20 defense probably only top 25. Not a lot to get excited about.

• No pass rush, absolutely none
  • #1 pick Lawson does not play in 2016
  • #2 pick Ragland, can't cover out of the backfield
  • #3 pick, Washington, average at best
  • 2nd best lineman, KW, is old and coming back from another foot/ankle injury, he never returns to form and retires.
  • #1 corner won't re-sign, misses camp, and plays it safe to not get hurt, his play is abysmal, probably gets hurt anyway.
  • #2 pick last year regresses this year
  • AW its top safety doesn't make it back from serious neck injury and retires.
  • Corey White, the other safety is too old and slow
  • DB depth is playing elsewhere this year
  • OLBs playing new positions.
  • Preston Brown doesn't assume leadership role in the middle of the D
  • Head coach hires sibling causing confusion and media circus in defense.
  • Top rated DB coach Henderson is booted for an ex player (Reed) that never coached.
  • Rex blames all of the above for his failure and is not fired yet another year of nothing awaits in 2017

It's a bottom 10 D, depending on what way you are looking

Crazy talk from the writer, we have good cornerbacks playing outside of what looks to be a band of misfits, unless Rex morphs into something new this upcoming season. He likes Dlinemen that occupy blockers, we have Dlinemen at their best when penetrating. He has two slow ILB's playing infront of two below average safeties when in coverage. He has one elite pass rusher playing opposite a role player who is now forced into a starting position due to Shaq's injury and absolutely zero depth in the front 7.

Can Kyle Williams and Adolphus Washington keep Ragland and Preston clean? I don't think anyone would feel good about that...is Kyle's health going to let him see the field for 10+ games? Sure hope so. Darby and Gilmore will be able to mask some of the problems but I'd be happy with a top 15 D. The run D will be a problem this year.

I don't see the cast of players that would allow such a major leap forward. This season is in Tyrod's and Roman's hands, the offense could take strides forward.

I am not worried about the run D at all. Pass D? We will get beaten with slants and dumps. I am WAY more worried that TT slumps once Ds figure out how to clog his passing lanes. His is one of those weird situations where a player may do worse in a contract year, mostly because he is trying to prove he is not a running QB.

I am not worried about the run D at all. Pass D? We will get beaten with slants and dumps. I am WAY more worried that TT slumps once Ds figure out how to clog his passing lanes. His is one of those weird situations where a player may do worse in a contract year, mostly because he is trying to prove he is not a running QB.

Run D is a total team effort, I just don't see the guys upfront being able to keep opposing Olinemen from reaching the 2nd level. Is Rex and company going to be content sitting MD in the middle all year long? T.J. Barnes is not NFL material, the tryouts at tackle all but assured that. Kyle never was a space eater and coming off a major injury I just don't see anything good happening there. The options are limited and in a draft where multiple true NT's slipped down the board the decision making looks questionable. I'm convinced it's going to take a hell of a coaching job if we are going to field a middle of the road defense. The pieces just don't fit.

You would think that Rex was right there working with the GM on who to draft and who to acquire in free agency his last four years just like he was his first two years. If you look over those 6 years of drafting the Jets during Rex's time there he missed on just about every defensive position except DT.

That second sentence is what gets me because you would think that he would adapt and change with what offenses are currently doing. Yet we all saw last season he couldn't get the most out of four of the very best defensive linemen in the league and put them into a scheme that didn't utilize their best abilities. Square peg, round hole type of thing. Who would have thought that would happen with all those pro bowlers?

Now without the teams best pass rusher gone and the other pass rushing DE more suited to play OLBer then DE in his 3-4. I gotta wonder if the defense will indeed be fixed this year. Like someone else said, this defense has far too much talent to be in the last 10.

With an entire off-season of film study, reflection, and listening to advice, I've got to believe - as a fan - that Rex will make fewer and less costly mistakes this year than last.

And then there's this: I think Rex is happier with this year's roster and this year's coaching staff. They're both more suited to Rex's needs and more supportive of his approach.

And, finally, I'm expecting we won't be as hard bitten by the injury bug this year.

So I'm expecting an improvement, if not a dominant D.

I don't think we'll be top 5, but I really can't imagine bottom 10.

Maybe, this is a top 20 defense probably only top 25. Not a lot to get excited about.

• No pass rush, absolutely none
  • #1 pick Lawson does not play in 2016
  • #2 pick Ragland, can't cover out of the backfield
  • #3 pick, Washington, average at best
  • 2nd best lineman, KW, is old and coming back from another foot/ankle injury, he never returns to form and retires.
  • #1 corner won't re-sign, misses camp, and plays it safe to not get hurt, his play is abysmal, probably gets hurt anyway.
  • #2 pick last year regresses this year
  • AW its top safety doesn't make it back from serious neck injury and retires.
  • Corey White, the other safety is too old and slow
  • DB depth is playing elsewhere this year
  • OLBs playing new positions.
  • Preston Brown doesn't assume leadership role in the middle of the D
  • Head coach hires sibling causing confusion and media circus in defense.
  • Top rated DB coach Henderson is booted for an ex player (Reed) that never coached.
  • Rex blames all of the above for his failure and is not fired yet another year of nothing awaits in 2017

It's a bottom 10 D, depending on what way you are looking

I wanted to respond to each of these "points" but decided I have better things to do. Good god though.

2 rooks....

Just repeating whaley's comments after the draft. Sooo... 3 rooks, unless you're not counting Lawson. Either way that's 3 rooks we are counting on to turn the d around. Gonna be tough. As I said previously, I hope it works out. Not too optimistic w Lawson out and being a rook, an average MLB and another who is a rook(w a bad heart!?) an olb who struggled w Indy at that same position, Kyle playing what position?, Aaron Williams coming off of neck surgery, Manny isn't scaring anyone in place of Mario/Shaq, and finally, is Marcel going to be utilized to his strengths? Having trouble being a 1/2 glass full person here. So, to my original point, 3 rooks unless you're counting out Shaq, were to be counted on heavily.