TOD 7/17: Are we too accepting as fans?

Well, I think that stat is skewed somewhat because different stadiums have different capacities... I think % capacity would be more interesting to look at.

Anyway, I think two things have played into the good attendance numbers over this dark period for the franchise - the fact that the Bills are ingrained into the WNY culture, as well as the continued fears that the team would move away. Now that the second has been resolved for a few years, I will be curious to watch the actual attendance numbers for this season to see if there is any change (assuming the team's performance remains relatively consistent with the recent past).

The missing data is the stadium full capacity so you can see the percentage of filled seats. Of course Dallas is #1, because they have a 100,000 seat stadium. We averaged 69,880 out of 71,870 which is 97.2% full for all 8 games.

Dallas is an 80,000 seat stadium, but can be expanded to 100,000 seats. What I don't know is do they always sell 100,000 seats and were only able to fill 91%.

As far as loyalty, emptying the stadium in protest isn't going to increase motivation to put a better team on the field, I.e. 10 years ago when we perpetually sucked we dropped to 55-58,000 seats, and nothing improved.

I'm glad we almost dill the stadium providing more of a home field advantage to us. My guess in the 97% fill capacity is skewed to December when we are most likely out of the playoffs and the weather is rough. If we were competing for a playoff spot in December, I'm confident we would sell out even if ther were snowstorms.

Go Bills!

I am sure "fans" would LOVE for fans to boycott the Bills by not attending so they could say "See I told you. If you listened to me team would not have moved to Toronto/San Antonio/latest hot city." but would that HELP? Once again this is a slanted question.

If there was a actual turnstile number like they used to show before the NFL got embarrassed the Bills would move way up that list not down. All you have to do is watch a Jets game and you can see the place is half full so them averaging 78k is a joke.

...I guess I'm a a old time loyal fan of my teams The Bills, Orioles and Sabres. I must be the last champion was the Orioles.... sighhhhh

No. They play 10 home games a year including preseason. If you can't commit to those 10 dates you aren't a good fan base (at all). Even at 0-16 you should be full every week.

Fandom isn't a rational endeavor & trying to examine it as such doesn't work.

These two posts work together. Expecting a full stadium even when the team sucks (such as 0-16) is irrational. But is also expected by the league and a lot of fans.

These two posts work together. Expecting a full stadium even when the team sucks (such as 0-16) is irrational. But is also expected by the league and a lot of fans.

It's not rational but it's expected. That's the state of the NFL (major college football as well). Now if you played 40+ home games it'd be different.

I think it's stupid to boycott the games, that's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I do think there is a vocal minority on this board though that looks the other way & give the coaching staff & especially the front office a big pass, but the majority acknowledges the mediocrity of the leadership, at least to some degree.

Edited by Rico

No. They play 10 home games a year including preseason. If you can't commit to those 10 dates you aren't a good fan base (at all). Even at 0-16 you should be full every week.

I remember '84 and '85 sitting with about 19K other people at games

KJ- take a look at the data. It states regular season games only recorded. I had to look myself bud.

Thanks, I didn't catch that. Either way, if the fans can't commit 8 times there's a problem.

Football has grown to a point where it's now a "season." We used to call it fall or autumn and now it's football season.

I've been reading this board for a while, and there are some people who can't even SEE accepting from where they reside. I wonder if there is even a road that will get them there.

Too accepting? That's ridiculous. What do you prefer? That we all go to the stadium and boo them until they leave?

Oh, and that's pretty funny!

Too accepting? That's ridiculous. What do you prefer? That we all go to the stadium and boo them until they leave?

Do you REALLY think that booing will chase an NFL team away?

Can you name one example where an NFL team left because their fans were too critical?

It's a product......if you keep buying tickets they will keep selling.......whether you approve or not.

And as bad as their owner was they still managed about 15 good seasons out of 55..........so as a fan there is always hope regardless of the incompetence of management.

The NFL system is set up to reward everyone. The Bills have been so bad that they haven't even been able to get aboard the carousel of parity but it doesn't take much to get there so there is no reason to give up hope as a fan either.