John Clayton predicts TT to sign with Denver in '17;Rex gone

Clayton's logic is severely flawed in his piece. Your assessment is 100% correct and the article is a complete waste of time.

I think I understand Clayton's logic. The season goes awful and TT is not extended and Rex is fired. But I am skeptical that the season ends that badly. I think it would have to be like 2-14.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I understand Clayton's logic. The season goes awful and TT is not extended and Rex is fired. But I am skeptical that the season ends that badly. I think it would have to be like 2-14.

Too many good players on the team for them to be that awful.

I saw this yesterday. John Clayton isn't very good. Taylor isn't going anywhere and barring a catastrophe neither is Rex.

I agree with this but feel that Rex is the personification of a catastrophe so I do believe there is a chance he is gone.

The Bills are in a perfect position wrt Taylor and if he has a good season and is in a position to sign a big contract, the best landing spot for him is likely............THE BILLS. The Denver thing is really stupid. They are probably in the bottom 5-10 of most likely landing spots for Taylor at this point.

I predict that John Clayton will be without a job sometime in the next couple of years and living with his mother.

LOL

Not sure why anyone cares what Clayton thinks anyway, he's gotta be among the low end of mindless sports reporters that's wrong more often than not.

There's way too much sports media out there. Most of it is brainless and lacks any merits. Like the world needs 20 different major outlets reporting sports developments.

The 24-hour news cycle, particularly as it relates to sports, has contributed to the dumbing down of America in no small way.

Whomever said "franchise tag" is right. It Taylor plays well and the Bills make him an offer after this season, he'll stay, he'd be a fool not to.

I agree with this but feel that Rex is the personification of a catastrophe so I do believe there is a chance he is gone.

The Bills are in a perfect position wrt Taylor and if he has a good season and is in a position to sign a big contract, the best landing spot for him is likely............THE BILLS. The Denver thing is really stupid. They are probably in the bottom 5-10 of most likely landing spots for Taylor at this point.

Depends upon whom you believe. There's been nothing formal about Ryan or Whaley being gone if we don't win much less make the playoffs. This whole thing about extending Whaley so that they'd be on the same sheet before getting fired after the season makes no sense to me. You don't extend someone that you may fire.

The sole exception is if Pegula wanted to try to preempt Whaley from making yet another "grasping at straws" trade that would harm the team going forward like he did in trading the farm to get Watkins.

At this point we're so thin at such key offensive positions, with two of our three only starting caliber players nursing significant injuries, that everything has to go right just to be .500 when we couldn't be more than that last year with better WRs, healthy RBs, and an easier schedule.

IMO we regress back to the 6-10's we were in Whaley's first years. We had pretty easy schedules the last two seasons, with the Pats record making them seem more difficult than they were. Everything has to go all but perfectly in order for us to merely be .500 as I see it.

Rex is the personification of catastrophe though. Whaley's not good either. Hopefully if he fails he and Whaley are gone.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I'm so tired of this absolute stupidity (at best laziness, at worst fabrication for clicks) that the Bills aren't giving Tyrod a big contract this off-season b/c they don't want him or value him. This season they have limited salary cap space, but they have the room next year. They don't have to pay him this year (a major difference from the mediocre QBs getting ridiculous contracts this off-season), so it would make zero sense to throw money at him now, risk having to cut a player or two (although they do have some room now), and hampering any other late moves.

if they have the room down the line (they do), then they could structure it to work today (they could)

that they are waiting isnt a product of cap, but maximizing the options available to them and being patient (and rightfully so)

Clayton's logic is severely flawed in his piece. Your assessment is 100% correct and the article is a complete waste of time.

We see this over and over again. Often times - such as in this case - it's just a national media "personality" viewing the teams that are less popular nationally and in smaller markets as AAA affiliates of the more popular, larger market teams. It's not "What can Tyrod do for Buffalo?", it's "Can Denver find its QB answer in Buffalo?" At best it's pandering.

if they have the room down the line (they do), then they could structure it to work today (they could)

that they are waiting isnt a product of cap, but maximizing the options available to them and being patient (and rightfully so)

I think the reasoning is just that, they want to see him show again that he can be a good starter in this league and don't want to hand him a huge deal without seeing another year from him. Unfortunately it can hurt them just as much as it helps. He could play very well again and price his way out of town, and it's possible he decides to not RE-sign until he tests free agency where someone could overpay. The franchise tag for a QB is huge and may prevent Whaley from using it for Taylor. The Broncos could decide to make a move for TT to get some who can play now since Lynch has shown absolutely nothing in the league and he can stay as a backup where they can then trade one of them at a later date.

I think the reasoning is just that, they want to see him show again that he can be a good starter in this league and don't want to hand him a huge deal without seeing another year from him. Unfortunately it can hurt them just as much as it helps. He could play very well again and price his way out of town, and it's possible he decides to not RE-sign until he tests free agency where someone could overpay. The franchise tag for a QB is huge and may prevent Whaley from using it for Taylor. The Broncos could decide to make a move for TT to get some who can play now since Lynch has shown absolutely nothing in the league and he can stay as a backup where they can then trade one of them at a later date.

there is no way that his play could be TOO GOOD for us to be able to sign him. it just wont happen. if he plays that well, we tag him and its a value even close to 20m.

Franchise tag trumps all.

And with the money QBs are getting? It might be the smart play.

I saw this yesterday. John Clayton isn't very good. Taylor isn't going anywhere and barring a catastrophe neither is Rex.

Clayton is actually good, when he sticks to what got him there -- hard-nosed research and connections with NFL contacts. He, like so many others, however, has found that he needs to write "opinion" pieces in order to get clicks. This is a piece of trash.

Clayton is actually good, when he sticks to what got him there -- hard-nosed research and connections with NFL contacts. He, like so many others, however, has found that he needs to write "opinion" pieces in order to get clicks. This is a piece of trash.

Good clarification regarding what got him accolades throughout his career. His prognostication has been very bad and this article was poorly thought out.

clayton is a good information man, salary cap and free agency type stuff. His prediction track record is brutal, not his thing but when he goes on radio they ask so he throws some darts.

yes Tyrod goes where there is a first round draft pick qb in his second year to hold down the fort for a year?