TOD 7/15: Should player off the field conduct matter?

Hypothetically, if most of us get a DUI, beat our spouse or act like an idiot outside of our workplace we likely do not face fines, suspensions or terminations. Should the off the field conduct of football players matter?

I think companies who face bad press, publicity and bad business should feel free to let someone go based on their actions. An individual is responsible for his own actions after all, and if a company wants to part ways, then that is fine.

The problem I have with it is the mob mentality of the internet that exerts an unproportional amount of emphasis such as "Well if you employ that person then you must condone such actions". To each their own, but I hate that mob mentality especially in this internet age where no one actually looks at the facts.

Edited by What a Tuel

Hypothetically, if most of us get a DUI, beat our spouse or act like an idiot outside of our workplace we likely do not face fines, suspensions or terminations. Should the off the field conduct of football players matter?

Really? If you made the front page of the paper for beating your wife you wouldn't get fired? I bet I would.

It is entertainment paid for by advertising dollars. If the companies thought they could make a few more bucks by selling dog rape stations and how to guides to beat a breathalizer, they would give these guys awards not suspensions. They don't care one bit about the players, their families, or who they hurt. It is all about advertising revenue.

Really? If you made the front page of the paper for beating your wife you wouldn't get fired? I bet I would.

So the real issue is the publicity. How many wife beaters make the front page? Sadly, the wife beating part happens all the time the publicity happens rarely. Therefore, the reality is that from an employment standpoint the vast majority of wife beaters act with impunity.

It depends on the action of the player involved.

Something like drink-driving is highly stupid and potentially very dangerous. It speaks to poor decision making but I'm not sure it inherently makes you a terrible person. My dad lost his license in the early 80's for it and I don't see that he could've had a complaint if he lost his job as a result. Actions have consequences but I'm not naive enough to think that teams will cut valuable assets over something like that.

Something like beating a woman or torturing dogs should come with an automatic life ban. There is absolutely no way that the league should reward people like that. I get that it's a violent sport but the vast majority manage to turn it on during a game and can flip that switch back off afterwards. The people who can't control that are dangerous.

If suspensions and fines from Roger does not deter players from poor off field behavior not sure what will.

The Bills and Sabres should find the best motivational counselor to try to steer these guys in the right direction.

Explain they have a short career , they can party when it's over.

Does your employer have a personal conduct policy that states actions that are deemed inappropriate and states what the consequences are? The NFL does and has had for many years. So yes off the field conduct matters.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/sports/football/roger-goodell-wont-assess-penalties-under-revised-conduct-policy.html

First, if I were to be arrested for any reason, and created any bad press, I would immediately be terminated as I am in a position of leadership for my company. Second, because I'm in sales leadership and are paid mileage, or if I had a car allotment, would be terminated for a DUI. IT's also unethical and immoral as you can hurt or kilo yourself or someone else.

As far as DUI, I agree with the earlier post, UBER is darn easy, it makes no sense to get a DUI. Most NFL teams actually support a car service for their players when needed.

It is about publicity, not necessarily the morality component. It's pretty simple. Don't be stupid, don't get arrested and don't hurt anyone. Not exactly a high bar. It's called being a contributing member of society.

Does your employer have a personal conduct policy that states actions that are deemed inappropriate and states what the consequences are? The NFL does and has had for many years. So yes off the field conduct matters.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/sports/football/roger-goodell-wont-assess-penalties-under-revised-conduct-policy.html

In asking the question I was not, and do not, condone the behavior.

The Bills used to support the notion that an even higher standard of character mattered when it came to who was on their roster. That standard has slipped. Now there is a measure of "we will forgive" if not overlook your issues.

It is an issue we struggle with on a societal level.

In asking the question I was not, and do not, condone the behavior.

The Bills used to support the notion that an even higher standard of character mattered when it came to who was on their roster. That standard has slipped. Now there is a measure of "we will forgive" if not overlook your issues.

It is an issue we struggle with on a societal level.

It honestly could be that the "current generation" of players character has slipped...so you gotta deal with what is available.

The Bills used to support the notion that an even higher standard of character mattered when it came to who was on their roster.

When, exactly, was that? Certainly wasn't the 90s.

Why people with so much to lose drink and drive... When they can call a service...is beyond stupid.

Do you know that a lot of teams and leagues have a service for players and it's free?!? I'm not sure exactly how it works but I know it exists. Edited by Kirby Jackson

First, if I were to be arrested for any reason, and created any bad press, I would immediately be terminated as I am in a position of leadership for my company. Second, because I'm in sales leadership and are paid mileage, or if I had a car allotment, would be terminated for a DUI. IT's also unethical and immoral as you can hurt or kilo yourself or someone else.

As far as DUI, I agree with the earlier post, UBER is darn easy, it makes no sense to get a DUI. Most NFL teams actually support a car service for their players when needed.

It is about publicity, not necessarily the morality component. It's pretty simple. Don't be stupid, don't get arrested and don't hurt anyone. Not exactly a high bar. It's called being a contributing member of society.

All true. Virtually any job that requires driving usually stipulates that a DUI is grounds for termination. Many companies have various other stipulations. I can't imagine how much stuff doesn't get reported and I know crazy stuff goes on everywhere. One story I was privy to involved a high ranking financial institution executive who had been tagged as their next CEO. But some hookers he was doing blow with decided he was a good mark for some big, quick cash from some branches. That FI paid large to keep the story from going public. The exec immediately left his position to spend more time with his family, but faced no criminal charges. (Not sure what happened to the hookers.) I know crazy stuff goes on with NFL players, too. I've heard some of those stories as well.

I think the real problem with players using Uber is that some don't make a decision about how to get home until they're wasted. Gotta make that decision ahead of time and prearrange a sober friend or service to drive you - both ways. Or maybe just don't get hammered.