What hours do you work?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I get to count the hours I spend on TBD while I am supposed to be working?

My wife and I have our own company...my standard joke is that I have a flexible work schedule, I work any 70 hours of the week I choose.....we are busy (thank God) so its more factual than I like some weeks...

Varies seeing I'm the boss. :D But I usually get in the office around 7-7:15 and leave anywhere from 3-7pm or later. And I work the occasional Saturday like I did this past Saturday for several hours.

BTW I would kill for your new schedule. I'm an early riser.

8am - 5pm EST with an hour lunch. I also have a one hour commute.

15 minute commute baby!! Unheard of here in CA.

8am - 5pm EST with an hour lunch. I also have a one hour commute.

The beauty of a small area. I'm a mile or so from I86 and the Elmira exit is about a mile or so from my office. 15 minute commute, closer to 10 if I hit the lights getting on and off and want to get there sooner

So I work in an office and had typical hours. (8-4:30EST) Monday-Friday

I just agreed to a new shift of 6am-2:30PM still Monday-Friday

I did this because it will help avoid rush hour traffic.

What kind of hours do you all work?

CBF

I would take a earlier schedule similar to that quick. Less dickheads to deal with for the first few hours.

15 minute commute baby!! Unheard of here in CA.

I enjoyed a 10-minute or less commute for nearly 20 years straight. I knew when that job came to an end that my short commute would, too. I'm fine with it, but it forced me to part with my Jeep, which was sad.

11 pm to 7 am. 20 minutes to work. Stay over most days to communicate with the day leader or EHS. 1/2 hour to 1 hour almost every day.. starting next week all Safty reps will be starting at 10:30 PM. Work to 7. 1/2 hour OT every day . Last 5 years 20-40+ hours of OT any week you want it. Sept will make overtime go nuts again

All new swing shift this past January:

0600-1800 (days) & 1800-0600 (over-nights) three days a week, 0800-1600 once every two weeks to make 80 a pay period (every two weeks). But I take the 8 hour day off as leave, because I have use or lose annual leave (vacation) to use up before end of year. After almost 30 years I earn (@ 15) 8 hours annual leave every two weeks and I can only carry over 240 hours into the next leave year.

Don't ask what the days I work are and the rotation, I still haven't remembered out the 6 week rotation yet. All I know is every so many weeks, I get a 7 day off "weekend."

I just finished a swing of 4 1800-0600 over-nights... I am off till Thursday, 0800-1600 & then work Friday and Saturday 0600-1800. I will go in on Thursday because I have to go to The Quad Cities for boat operator refresher class on Friday.

Make sense? Simply put, I am home more for longer stretches than @ work... Commute (18 miles) obviously less too.

12 hour days are nice... Especially on holidays you are off. I can't take comp time as essential mission personnel. This 4th was sweet... Was my 7 days off and when I returned on the 7th I got the Holiday Bonus (work 12 get paid for 24). Probably once in a career time that happened!

Confused?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Since I'm not a morning person, always worked a swing shift, AND would gladly work weekends in exchange for week days off. I don't like to wait in lines, or rush hour traffic. I also, stay away from weekends, when everybody else is off, and in front of me in various lines.

That got me thru 35 years at United Airlines and and additional 12 at Richmond Airport, working for the Airport Commission, not an airline. By the time I started work all the "parades and dog & pony shoes" were pretty much over. Just retired last February.

Oh yeah, no overnight shifts either.

I enjoyed a 10-minute or less commute for nearly 20 years straight. I knew when that job came to an end that my short commute would, too. I'm fine with it, but it forced me to part with my Jeep, which was sad.

I essentially bought my car because of the sound system. And now that you can stream pretty much anything through bluetooth I sometimes regret my short commute.

Since I'm not a morning person, always worked a swing shift, AND would gladly work weekends in exchange for week days off. I don't like to wait in lines, or rush hour traffic. I also, stay away from weekends, when everybody else is off, and in front of me in various lines.

That got me thru 35 years at United Airlines and and additional 12 at Richmond Airport, working for the Airport Commission, not an airline. By the time I started work all the "parades and dog & pony shoes" were pretty much over. Just retired last February.

Oh yeah, no overnight shifts either.

Exactly! I coulda put in for promotion and be a 9-5 stiff, do everything when others do it, etc... No way... My new hours are sweet.

But,big butt:

I get in an hour after bosses leave and leave an hour before they come back... I don't see them for weeks on end! I love over-nights! The real mission gets done: keeping things and the economy moving!

Very odd schedule, Our contract requires us to cover nights up to 9 am and weekends.

I work the swing shift on contract at front of week but because Friday person gets off at 2 am I need to cover Saturdays.

Saturday 9 am to 9 pm

Mon-Wed 5 pm to 2 am

with one extra hour to put in.

Since we are double covered on Wednesday boss offered to let me work day shift for Wednesday instead and I usually put in 2 5 hour days Wednesday and Thursday.

It gives me more flexibility but also more commuting. Since I live 3 miles from work it is not too bad except when I get off in middle of rush hour.

I have a 60 minute commute.

I am the chief chemist and start around 645am. Samples arrive

at sporadic times, so lunch is on the fly.

I usually leave at 1530 or so.

In the fall I can leave earlier to officiate

High school soccer matches.