How the Ravens went from SB winner to afterthought

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is simple - bad drafting. I made a post earlier in the offseason about how the great Ozzie Newsome has failed to rebuild the previously fearsome Ravens defense. They have spent so many 1st and 2nd rounders the last 5 or 6 years on defense and have had very few success stories among them.

This explanation makes me even happier that the Bills have not broken the bank by paying Tyrod elite money yet (yet is important here). I am ok with the idea that they have taken a wait and see approach with him. The cap dynamics of paying a player QB elite money for average or worse performance can be crippling to a franchise.

The article correctly points out that there are other issues with the organization. The Bills are hardly immune from them either.

This is overblown, they were 10-6 two years ago. Last season they had a record amount of injuries and many of them too key positions. They had something like 20 guys on IR and 8 of those were week 1 starters. Any team that loses its starting QB is screwed, then to lose 3 WR's, a TE, two running backs etc.

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Reach-Record-Number-Of-Players-On-Injured-Reserve-In-John-Harbaugh-Era/b13d9c11-26a3-4102-abf8-ffde6a307f95

The answer is simple - bad drafting. I made a post earlier in the offseason about how the great Ozzie Newsome has failed to rebuild the previously fearsome Ravens defense. They have spent so many 1st and 2nd rounders the last 5 or 6 years on defense and have had very few success stories among them.

They had one bad draft in 13'.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0325&type=team

They got caught. Flacco went on a tear the year they won the SB, and they were forced to pay him.

I wouldn't mind getting "caught" like that. Flacco bet on himself, carried the Ravens through the playoffs to a championship and got paid large for it. He hasn't been worthy of the contract since, but I'd gladly be in that spot. This season if Tyrod wants to go on a tear, win a championship, get an Andrew Luck deal and then revert to mediocrity, he can be my guest.

The Ravens are in salary cap jail just like the Colts.

They have had cap issues due to money tied up in underperforming and/or aging players. That is compounded by some poor/unlucky drafting. Ozzie has generally taken risks in the draft. In the years leading up to the Super Bowls he hit a lot of home runs when he was swinging for the fences, but now he's striking out a lot. It is telling to see him pass on Tunsil for Stanley. Times are a changin'. Edited by BarleyNY

This explanation makes me even happier that the Bills have not broken the bank by paying Tyrod elite money yet (yet is important here). I am ok with the idea that they have taken a wait and see approach with him. The cap dynamics of paying a player QB elite money for average or worse performance can be crippling to a franchise.

The article correctly points out that there are other issues with the organization. The Bills are hardly immune from them either.

Yeah, with all that offensive talent at WR and RB, Flacco should be killing it in Baltimore.

They got caught. Flacco went on a tear the year they won the SB, and they were forced to pay him.

I'd take him here in a nanosecond

Paying average QB's stupid money is a good way to screw up your franchise.

Playoff flacco is the opposite of average. Try again.

Played the eventual SB champion Pats really tough only a year ago in the playoffs. Not sure one year where the starting QB tears his ACL makes them an "afterthought."

Did this author think the Colts were an "afterthought" when Peyton's neck exploded?

Edited by FireChan

This is overblown, they were 10-6 two years ago. Last season they had a record amount of injuries and many of them too key positions. They had something like 20 guys on IR and 8 of those were week 1 starters. Any team that loses its starting QB is screwed, then to lose 3 WR's, a TE, two running backs etc.

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Reach-Record-Number-Of-Players-On-Injured-Reserve-In-John-Harbaugh-Era/b13d9c11-26a3-4102-abf8-ffde6a307f95

They had one bad draft in 13'.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0325&type=team

I am the first to accept that they had a lot of key injuries last year and they were still close in every game bar 1.

But as for the drafts... in the 6 drafts 2010-2015 (inclusive) the Ravens spent ELEVEN of their 18 picks in the first 3 rounds on defense. From that 11 only 4 are likely to line up in the starting team when the Bills visit on opening day and only 2 of those 11 are top end starters at their positions (Jimmy Smith and CJ Mosley).

Call that good drafting if you like but I call it bad and it had left them struggling for depth.

Yea I heard this a few months ago on Sirius NFL talking about how they have not been doing well in drafting which is killing them.

Trade the future for the past? Who wouldn't do that?

All about a Super Bowl.

LOL. Flacco is average at best.

What a joke. You try again.

Why do you insist on embarrassing yourself with football takes ?

Flacco has put Brady and Manning teams to sleep in the PLAYOFFS while winning a SUPERBOWL as well, please knock it off or use google to search for facts.

I'll help you though, my google machine works. It says Flacco is 10-5 in the playoffs with 25tds and 10ints. 10 playoff wins. 10 more than any bills qb on the roster. Poof be gone Raven.

He's average because he didn't win a Super Bowl with Kamar Aiken as his #1 and a 4th string Rb this season, I got it.

Trade the future for the past? Who wouldn't do that?

"Future" "Past" Lol X 2 Edited by Ryan L Billz