Getting married in a month...

Wooderson

I actually talked to a coworker who's wife calculated how much overtime he needed to work so they can talk a cruise every year (instead of every other -like they discussed before marriage). Guess how much more time she needed to work? zero.

Hooray feminism.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think vewy, vewy carefuwy before you take another step in this matter. This advice comes to you from the perspective of my 57 years of wedlock. (Give some thought to the last four letters of that word.)

Keep 3 bank accounts:

80% - Family money, long term savings, etc.

10% - Her discretionary - shoes, purses, spa

10% - your discretionary - golf, bills tickets, guys' nights out on Aero Dr....

This is by far the best advice in this thread.

Honestly, I think having three separate accounts is a bad idea. i like having all joint accounts; it fosters trust. And everything is "ours," and we tend to run all bigger discretionary expenses past each other.

Also, with separate accounts, what if one spouse doesn't work? It seems like funding the other spouse's account is like giving him/her an allowance.

Valid points....it would have to be a dual income marriage.....my wife and I have this exact set up....actually we probably give ourselves a little more in our individual accounts but we never....and I mean never argue over money or what is being spent....our bills are paid...we have a large safety net in the joint account....all are retirement accounts are properly funded..... Edited by zevo

Getting hitched in 32 days. Any wedding day advice? Marriage advice? Well wishes or warnings?

Have at it.

1. Talk to her like you do your best friend, minus the vulgar sex stuff of course :D (unless she likes that kind off stuff :flirt: )

2. do the things you did to make her fall in love: go on dates, get flowers, cards etc. You need to her make her feel special; this needs to be done from the beginning till death. Tell her she is beautiful, you love her and how much you appreciate her for all the things she does. This will go a LONG WAYS in keeping you both happy.

3. Don't go to bed angry but give her time and space to cool down before discussing why you all got mad at each other.

4. don't try to fix her (unless she has got some REAL problems)

5. if she needs to vent let her and don't interject unless she asks your opinion. When women are upset they just need to let it out and don't want us to fix their problem, they just want us to listen at this time.

I don't really have marriage advice, but here's what works for Mrs. Bandit and I: it's not a 50/50 deal; literally everything is my responsibility.

That goes for both of us...if something isn't going well, then it's my responsibility to address it, not hers. She feels the same way, thankfully.

As to the wedding, well, I ran weddings for 6+ years, and here's the advice I always gave: once you get to the day of, just relax. All the work is done, and it's time to enjoy yourselves.

Is there anything you don't do :D

I'll give you the only advice I've known to be true for every man who ever got married: say goodbye to blowjobs.

not for me :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Her paycheck remains "Her" paycheck, your paycheck becomes "our" paycheck. Get used to it,

BS. My paycheck is mine and hers is hers.

We had a joint and I was constantly broke and had to work every drop of overtime to just get by. After a few yrs I calmly sat her down and told her that I need to get my own account and that she will thank me for this down the road. She was PISSED but know she is glad I did because we are not dead ass broke and in 7 yrs max hopefully sooner the house will be paid off and all our debt gone. then I can spend the rest on travel which is something we both want to do.

You can thank women's magazines for this. Somehow, some woman got it into her head that being able to pee in front of your spouse is a sign of intimacy... and she managed to convince the coven. It's on the barometer between passing gas and watching her give birth.

She can then brag about how close you guys are to her girlfriends.

I honestly don't care, you gota go you gota go. I walk in on her all the time no big deal either way. but this is really between you and discuss it.

Come up with a plane for the possible need to dispose of the in-laws bodies.

my in laws our awesome, I actually like my mother in law better than my mom who is VERY SOCIALLY INAPROPRIATE.

Make sure that your future wife and you are good friends above all else.......

Some of us have found out the hard way that when that basic level has broken down......its downhill from there

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Honestly, I think having three separate accounts is a bad idea. i like having all joint accounts; it fosters trust. And everything is "ours," and we tend to run all bigger discretionary expenses past each other.

Also, with separate accounts, what if one spouse doesn't work? It seems like funding the other spouse's account is like giving him/her an allowance.

yeah that's great if you don't have the typical over spender that most women are.

BB: on you last point below re women being over spenders, my view is that one of the most critical criterion in a spouse is like-minded spending habits/money management.

If you are not on the same page as your spouse on money (or can't get there after getting married), it is trouble. I think all the stats show that money is the #1 cause of stress in relationships.

Well it works for me, love my wife more than anything but no touchy the money. Can't have everything perfect and no way was I booting her because she sux at money.