Unpopular opinion thread

i do wonder what will define succes for him. If he finally beats Osu this year (they are actually ranked ahead of them in the preseason polls, he has zero excuses not to do it) then I think he buys himself a ton of time. If not, the clock starts ticking. The pressure will be immense. The funniest thing about his tweets about urban and saban is that urban has someone else run his account and saban probably doesn't even know what Twitter is. They are rolling their eyes at this guy. It's up to him to earn their respect.

I think that he has to beat the Bucks this year. This is their best chance since the Fickell season (which almost doesn't count). OSU lost a ton of talent but has a loaded recruiting class coming in and next year's looks even better. They are quickly reloading. Harbaugh has recruited well and I hope that they become relevant. It was much more fun then.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that he has to beat the Bucks this year. This is their best chance since the Fickell season (which almost doesn't count). OSU lost a ton of talent but has a loaded recruiting class coming in and next year's looks even better. They are quickly reloading. Harbaugh has recruited well and I hope that they become relevant. It was much more fun then.

That is the thing with CFB that many don't understand. With the CFB playoff committee we need Michigan to be good. We need them to recruit well. We need them to win. I want Harbaugh to succeed. All of these things help Ohio state! The young Bucks are going to lose a few games this year. Will Michigan be one of them? Possibly. But he will face them at the Shoe, at the end of the season, when they are usually at their best. Despite the 18 new starters, mostly freshman, Osu will be rolling out, that game won't be easy for him to win. There is still a talent disparity and a coaching disparity until proven otherwise.

Brady Hoke actually came much closer to beating them his last two years than Harbaugh did. I loved to see the big buckeye win in Ann Arbor, but was also disappointed Michigan could barely compete on the same level, after coming so close to beating them the two years before, with worse teams. It was weird.

Edited by YoloinOhio

we are dangerously close to Sparty becoming a bigger rival than the maize and blue. Never thought it would happen. All of harbaugh's talk and hype landed with a big thud last November. If he can't back it up he will be a joke. This is their big chance and at this point their relevancy is due to the Khaki-Cam, stupid tweets and silly recruiting tactics. They are selling tickets again and the hype is high with their fans. 42-13 must have been a giant buzzkill but he's got hopes up again. Too bad they didn't come to Cbus last year instead of this year for the The Game. Would have been a much better set up for him. My favorite moment after the huge celebrity bash he threw for NSD with Rick Flair, Brady, Jeter, etc. where he acted like the recruiting class had actually won something ... A reporter asked Urban how Osu was going to do to celebrate NSD. He said "Practice."

That's awesome. You're right in the heart of this so you'd sure know what's happening. I remember the Cooper years (I was a freshman for Earl Bruce's last year). So many years of doing so poorly against scUM sucked beyond belief. Ditto hearing scUM fans with their condescending attitudes about the rivalry and longing for the days when it was more competitive. Yuck. I will never root for a competitive rivalry with scUM. I want us to roll them every single year. If that means MSU takes their place as our main rival, so be it.

As for Harbaugh, I don't know what he'll do there. He's had success in college and the pros, but he's never lasted more than 4 years anywhere. Until I see otherwise my expectations are that he'll do the same there. He'll improve the team, maybe even turn them around - and then move on.

For as much hype and coverage that Harbaugh gets, Urban still runs circles around him when it come to recruiting (Saban too). He will make Michigan better and they'll win some but they are still a long way from the level of the perennial powers. They are closer to Wisconsin than they are OSU.

He has worn out his welcome everywhere else. Will he get Michigan back to their previous level (on a consistent basis) before his act gets tired?

The man did take a 5-7 team and go 10-3 in his first year while only losing to OSU and MSU in the division. You need to go back to 2004-2003 to Michigan's previous level of 10-3, and it was all the way back to 1997 that they went 12-0.

NFN but Harbaugh took over a 2006 Stanford team that was 1-11 and in four years took them to a 12-1 season before being hired by the 49ers.

Worn out his welcome in SF because he didn't get along with a not very bright GM who should be fired soon. I think the 49ers parted ways with the wrong guy. But, that's me.

In general the NFL doesn't really care about the players, their safety or their futures after football. They are largely just assets with expiration dates.

I wouldn't call it unpopular. Its sad and its true. We may prefer not to hear certain things said out loud, but that does not make them necessarily unpopular.

Worn out his welcome in SF because he didn't get along with a not very bright GM who should be fired soon. I think the 49ers parted ways with the wrong guy. But, that's me.

It wasn't just Baalke he had fallen out with. There were reports of disagreements with senior players all season long. I agree Baalke should have gone as well though... but Jim Harbaugh is a 3-5 year coach anywhere he is not a true long term option.

I put this in another thread but I suppose it probably belongs here:

The NHL is "sort of" one of the 4 major sports. It is a regional sport and the ratings reflect that. The Stanley Cup averaged less than 4M viewers in the U.S. By comparison, it is roughly the equivalent of your average Monday Night Raw episode. That's roughly 1/3 of the people watching the Indianapolis 500.

The reality is the NHL is LIGHT YEARS from the other leagues. I'm a hockey fan but they aren't on equal footing with the other 3 leagues. You can't have 10% of the people watching and consider yourself an equal.

Unpopular Opinion:

Bills fans are NOT the most knowledgeable in the NFL.

Maybe once-upon-a-time we were, but the Internet has made everyone's brains soft. This based on the constant Hot Takes that are rooted solely in opinion stated as fact.

But I still love you.

Most of you...

:beer:

Unpopular Opinion:

Bills fans are NOT the most knowledgeable in the NFL.

Maybe once-upon-a-time we were, but the Internet has made everyone's brains soft. This based on the constant Hot Takes that are rooted solely in opinion stated as fact.

But I still love you.

Most of you...

:beer:

Losing means less games at the highest levels of competition.........where greatness happens........not getting to see that from an all-in perspective certainly hurts the knowledge of a fan base.......even if they are avid like Bills fans......so I concur.

Watching the Bills on the road is better than at RWS - only exception being Oakland's horrible stadium.

I'm 45 and have two kids. I don't want to sit next to a 22 year old whos has been drunk since noon. Full disclosure, I didn't want to sit next to that guy when I was 22 either. Build a new stadium with 64,000 seats and double the ticket prices. Do anything you can to make the game-day experience at the new stadium better. The new stadium needs better and more food options and better beverages. If you build it they will come.

I put this in another thread but I suppose it probably belongs here:

The NHL is "sort of" one of the 4 major sports. It is a regional sport and the ratings reflect that. The Stanley Cup averaged less than 4M viewers in the U.S. By comparison, it is roughly the equivalent of your average Monday Night Raw episode. That's roughly 1/3 of the people watching the Indianapolis 500.

The reality is the NHL is LIGHT YEARS from the other leagues. I'm a hockey fan but they aren't on equal footing with the other 3 leagues. You can't have 10% of the people watching and consider yourself an equal.

agreed and in some regions it is also behind college sports in popularity. I do think it is a growing sport in the US as I know tons of people whose kids are in youth hockey and that is in places like Ohio, Portland, and California where hockey isn't very big. I think it is a growing sport with kids in the US. The #1 pick in the draft was from Scottsdale and 5 kids taken in the 1st round were from St. Louis. That said, I love hockey but it is definitely regionalized. We have a professional hockey team here but it gets about a tenth of the local media coverage that the Sabres do in buffalo. Edited by YoloinOhio

agreed and in some regions it is also behind college sports in popularity. I do think it is a growing sport in the US as I know tons of people whose kids are in youth hockey and that is in places like Ohio, Portland, and California where hockey isn't very big. I think it is a growing sport with kids in the US. The #1 pick in the draft was from Scottsdale and 5 kids taken in the 1st round were from St. Louis. That said, I love hockey but it is definitely regionalized. We have a professional hockey team here but it gets about a tenth of the local media coverage that the Sabres do in buffalo.

Without a doubt college football is bigger. 33.4M people watched the Buckeyes championship game. 4 million people watched the Stanley Cup.

He is the Rex Ryan of CFB because of the media obsession with him and his clown antics. Climbing trees at recruits houses and sleepovers, his celebrity soirée for NSD, wearing the jerseys of local stars at his 7500 satellite camps - it's the definition of trying too hard. Subtweeting at Saban and urban calling them out, even though they have seven titles to his zero. Next he will probably jump out of a plane like Rex. They are kings of the offseason.

I should have said Harbaugh was Belichik and Michigan were the Pats? Bills are Osu? Yes, that would indeed go in the unpopular opinion thread. Michigan has beaten Osu once in the last 13 years and that was the year Osu had their LBs coach as the interim HC and went 6-6. And they still almost lost. The absolute pounding Harbaugh took at home to Osu (after being favored!) reminded me of what the Patriots did to the Bills at home after the Bills were favored. I can't think of anything Harbaugh is doing that reminds me of Belichik, sorry.

It's up to him to prove me wrong. I didn't say he wasn't a good coach, but I didn't say Rex wasn't a good coach either. I said they both have proven they can win off season hype and media attention, and the rest we are waiting on. He needs to show he can beat Sparty and Osu just as Rex needs to show he can beat the Pats.

By the way, I don't "hate" Michigan or harbaugh. I just want them to actually do something. We need them to be better than they are for the rivalry and for the conference. I haven't hated Michigan since the 90s.

their antics have nothing in common, Rex says stupid stuff that only he actually believes.

Jim does weird things to get recruits and to play mind games with the opposition. Jim is evil genius and Rex is court jester.

and he has already proven you wrong you just don't want to believe it.