MMQB Profile of Marquise Goodwin

It's been discussed, but there are certainly differences in the preferred nature and type of training required to be an Olympic long jumper vs. an NFL wide receiver. It's not all just running. When you have the injury history Marquise has, one would presume the Bills' trainers would prefer to see a training regimen that gives him the best opportunity to stay healthy -- not jump the farthest.

So whose offseason training regimen would you say would be more conducive for a NFL player- Goodwin or Karlos?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see a day-by-day comparison of Goodwin's offseason with that of any other Bill. I don't think many people would argue that he is hurting himself or the team by training for the long jump.

I think that's exactly what many people are arguing. Goodwin was already a bubble player. Prioritizing another sport over the one that pays his bills has definitely hurt his chances of making the team. Training for another sport has definitely hurt his chances of making this football team.

You think training to jump the farthest is the same as training so your body can withstand the rigors of NFL football?

Maybe not, I'm not sure. But for what it's worth, I was at the Olympic trials yesterday and Goodwin looked considerably thicker than all of the other long-jumpers, except for Adoree Jackson, the USC WR/DB. Do you know what the average NFL player's offseason regimen looks like?

Maybe not, I'm not sure. But for what it's worth, I was at the Olympic trials yesterday and Goodwin looked considerably thicker than all of the other long-jumpers, except for Adoree Jackson, the USC WR/DB. Do you know what the average NFL player's offseason regimen looks like?

Petty crime and training for football?

So whose offseason training regimen would you say would be more conducive for a NFL player- Goodwin or Karlos?

i did find it surprising that the karlos thread was much lower key in the tone. i suppose hes accomplished more though.

Is there no middle ground in this debate?

Yes, Goodwin probably trained harder this offseason than most Buffalo Bills players. His results are great speed, explosive leaps, low body fat, etc. These will benefit the Bills.

No, Goodwin's didn't design his training to maximize his NFL readiness. He probably now needs to work more on upper body strength/bulk, some flexibility, and other things that will help him be more durable. He also needs to start practicing more route running.

It was an interesting decision by Goodwin. He went after his dream of medalling in the Olympics by risking his on-the-bubble NFL career.

It's been discussed, but there are certainly differences in the preferred nature and type of training required to be an Olympic long jumper vs. an NFL wide receiver. It's not all just running. When you have the injury history Marquise has, one would presume the Bills' trainers would prefer to see a training regimen that gives him the best opportunity to stay healthy -- not jump the farthest.

i didnt dispute that - simply said we have no idea how wide the gap in potential ability is between what he did and an ideal regimen (or alternatively, whatever his regimen wouldve looked like without the olympics).

i agree that some of his injuries may be training related, while others likely are not (see hand, broken).

i wasnt opposed to him chasing his dream, and am fine with coaches/gm making the decision to cut him if it gets in the way. hes a heckuva athlete though, and i wont complain that we hopefully get to see him a bit more focused on this season and see if it can help him contribute more fully -- because he does have potential.

i did find it surprising that the karlos thread was much lower key in the tone. i suppose hes accomplished more though.

Yup. Some people are more invested in hating on Goodwin. He's had a few seasons to disappoint and let people get entrenched in their positions (some rational, some not) whereas Karlos hasn't.

The hate has been a little over the top for Goodwin but it looks like he stirred the pot a bit with some of his recent comments. Until then the discussion was mostly about Goodwin and his obligation too the team and his contract. A borderline player with an extensive injury history and juggling offseason commitments would have been better served biting his tongue in that presser.

Karlos got lazy while tending to his pregnant wife and ate himself into a dad bod. That is relatable for average fans which is unlike Goodwin's story. Karlos also hasn't said anything inflammatory towards the fans and it hasn't even been 10 months since we watched him play for us. When I think about Karlos I think of a hard running kid with a soft head. When I think of Glass I see a side talking car salesman who will always be hurt returning to work after a company softball game.

Yup. Some people are more invested in hating on Goodwin. He's had a few seasons to disappoint and let people get entrenched in their positions (some rational, some not) whereas Karlos hasn't.

give it time.

Is there no middle ground in this debate?

Yes, Goodwin probably trained harder this offseason than most Buffalo Bills players. His results are great speed, explosive leaps, low body fat, etc. These will benefit the Bills.

No, Goodwin's didn't design his training to maximize his NFL readiness. He probably now needs to work more on upper body strength/bulk, some flexibility, and other things that will help him be more durable. He also needs to start practicing more route running.

It was an interesting decision by Goodwin. He went after his dream of medalling in the Olympics by risking his on-the-bubble NFL career.

He already made an NFL roster, He likely has overextended himself at this point and may well lose that privilege (pun intended )

The hate has been a little over the top for Goodwin but it looks like he stirred the pot a bit with some of his recent comments. Until then the discussion was mostly about Goodwin and his obligation too the team and his contract. A borderline player with an extensive injury history and juggling offseason commitments would have been better served biting his tongue in that presser.

Karlos got lazy while tending to his pregnant wife and ate himself into a dad bod. That is relatable for average fans which is unlike Goodwin's story. Karlos also hasn't said anything inflammatory towards the fans and it hasn't even been 10 months since we watched him play for us. When I think about Karlos I think of a hard running kid with a soft head. When I think of Glass I see a side talking car salesman who will always be hurt returning to work after a company softball game.

the way the question was posed I think any athlete would agree. Same money etc and I'd rather run track than football. A lot less risk

I want Goodwin to do whatever makes him happy......

but

When I hear how football is not his first love.....well......

Football isn't my 1st love either. Way too much on crap flying around and with no real proof to back up allegations. Goodwin had a chance to represent the entire country. That would be a huge honor. That still doesn't take away from his desire to play for the Bills. People seriously need to lighten up. Really gets on my nerves when folks act like everything is in black & white. The real truth often isn't so easy to pin down.

the way the question was posed I think any athlete would agree. Same money etc and I'd rather run track than football. A lot less risk

Particularly when there are all of those "nice" track fans out there to cheer you on.

That whole interview was ridiculous, and Goodwin brought most of the "hate" onto himself.

He's had the two longest jumps so far this year. Can you imagine being the best in the world at something? And having the chance to win gold at the Olympics? That's got to be super exciting for an athlete!

As a football player, he's an oft-injured 2nd teamer. No wonder he like track & field more.

I can't blame the guy for trying to do both. As much as I love football, if I was in his shoes, I'd want to compete in the Olympics too.

And, yeah, Goodwin gets a lot of mileage on Bills fan sites. Why not? How many Olympic athletes play for the Bills?

He's not the best Bill, but he is a hardworking young man trying to do something good with his life. I see no problems here.

Very well said...

I read the article, and I could swear that it said if all things were equal he would still choose football over track. So either I misread something or someone else did and everyone is running with it because they didn't read it and are going off another post. In fact, I just went back and verified...here is the quote below copy and pasted from the article. So I am not sure where you guys are getting this track is more important to him than football stuff.

PS: This kid still has a lot of upside and potential, the talent is there...he is a football player...he runs good routes, incredible speed, and good hands. The two issues plaguing his stat line are the first 2 years of having atrocious OC and QB and his overall ability to stay healthy. I think the QB and OC issues are behind us now, so the real question about this kids future in the NFL is can he stay on the field to contribute? If he can, then I think he can be a good player still. Fred Taylor seemed made of glass early his career and got past it eventually, Matthew Stafford and others too...so maybe this kid can too...however, he is working with a much smaller frame than a lot of those guys, so this is a BIG question mark for him now. I gave him the benefit of the doubt coming out of college on staying healthy, but after 3 injury riddled years, I think its going to be tough.

Goodwin made headlines when, in a Facebook chat (with me) last week, he said that if the money was equal, he would choose football over track.

Failure to attend any voluntary OTAs -- there's a scrap. Yes, they're voluntary, but how many physically capable players didn't attend?

Attendance at mandatory minicamp but refusal to participate because of Olympic training -- there's another scrap.

It will be nice to see Marquise dedicate himself to his job and find out what he can do.

your talking to a brick wall Eball. These people don't get it. They continue to argue and stand up for a guy that averages 7 receptions, 1 touchdown, and less than 150 yards a season.

That's where you lost me. I'll never understand that sentiment. Why do you hold Glass to a higher standard than your own wife? He might not even have known she was married. If anything, kill her not the random guy.

ive gone through this entire thread and I didn't lose you until this post???

I must be growing on you.

Edited by mrags

Yeah, she (Morgan Goodwin-Snow) wasn't really close. She got through the first round but finished 14th in the semis. If she had run her 1st round time she would have made it to the finals.