Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you've missed the sarcasm. This team is far, far more talented than the likes of Colorado. I think anyone with a modicum of hockey IQ can see that. The fact that we can't beat inferior teams falls on Bylsma. Then again GMTM is the one that hired him, and appears to be standing by him.

We do not have a defense and the goalie is unreliable.

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. jImdkj8O_200x200.jpg

SABRES (27-28-12) at BLUE JACKETS (42-17-6)

FRI MAR 10, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 324)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 67 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 31 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 17 games
Kyle Okposo (ribs, March 4) – 3 games
Dmitry Kulikov (upper body, March 5) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/8: Assigned F Cal O’Reilly to the Toronto Marlies (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, March 11: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, March 14: Buffalo at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 16: Buffalo at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.
Friday, March 17: Buffalo at Anaheim, 10 p.m.
Monday, March 20: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at BLUE JACKETS
This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Blue Jackets this season.
Last meeting: Columbus defeated Buffalo 4-1 in Buffalo on April 8, 2016
Next meeting: Saturday, March 11 in Buffalo
The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Blue Jackets; 4-5-1 on the road
This is the 24th game all-time between Buffalo and Columbus; Buffalo has a 9-12-2 series record.
The Sabres are 4-5-1 on the road against the Blue Jackets all-time.

Morning Skate: March 10, 2017 at 11:30 am – 12:30 pm at Natiownwide Arena

@BuffaloSabres

Hard work, "bringing your work boots" the theme of practice as Sabres seek to get past tough stretch: http://bufsabres.co/hCcGIN

C6gNYWnWcAQpStE.jpg

Thursday's Practice

9 Evander Kane - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 56 Justin Bailey
26 Matt Moulson - 15 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
82 Marcus Foligno - 28 Zemgus Girgensons - 12 Brian Gionta
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 63 Tyler Ennis

29 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
41 Justin Falk - 47 Zach Bogosian
4 Josh Gorges - 6 Cody Franson

40 Robin Lehner
31 Anders Nilsson

Personally, I think building this team just got a lot easier. Eichel has officially arrived and they have their superstar. It's going to be a hell of a lot easier assembling a team when you have that key centerpiece in place. The kid has one single flaw, that he's not from or playing in Canada.

Not sure what you mean by this - are you from Canada and root for all the teams? I know we'd have more Canadians in the building if he was from Canada.

Not sure what you mean by this - are you from Canada and root for all the teams? I know we'd have more Canadians in the building if he was from Canada.

He's not getting the attention he deserves nationally (internationally?) because he's not Canadian (McDavid) and does not play in Canada (Matthews and to a much lesser extent Laine).

He's not getting the attention he deserves nationally (internationally?) because he's not Canadian (McDavid) and does not play in Canada (Matthews and to a much lesser extent Laine).

Your position makes little sense to me. Eichel is not getting the attention he deserves not because he isn't a Canadian but because he is playing on a downtrodden organization that isn't a serious team. Matthews is an American and gets a lot of public attention. Surely playing for Toronto, a Canadian city, is a factor but the bigger factor is that he is playing on an emerging team. Team success breeds player recognition.

The best way for Boston Jack to get more North American attention is for him to play on a competitive team. When the playoffs start Jack will be invisible not because he is not worthy of attention but because his team is out of the more meaningful and dramatic post season.

I thought you meant he's allowed to be beat on by opponents with refs turning a blind eye.

Your position makes little sense to me. Eichel is not getting the attention he deserves not because he isn't a Canadian but because he is playing on a downtrodden organization that isn't a serious team. Matthews is an American and gets a lot of public attention. Surely playing for Toronto, a Canadian city, is a factor but the bigger factor is that he is playing on an emerging team. Team success breeds player recognition.

The best way for Boston Jack to get more North American attention is for him to play on a competitive team. When the playoffs start Jack will be invisible not because he is not worthy of attention but because his team is out of the more meaningful and dramatic post season.

And Laine?

While I agree with your larger point about the lack of exposure relative to playing for a poor team, if the situations were reversed and Eichel played on a crappy Toronto team while Matthews played on a playoff contending team in Buffalo, Eichel would be getting a ton more ink and air time. Canadian media drives hockey coverage in North America and Toronto drives Canadian media.

While I agree with your larger point about the lack of exposure relative to playing for a poor team, if the situations were reversed and Eichel played on a crappy Toronto team while Matthews played on a playoff contending team in Buffalo, Eichel would be getting a ton more ink and air time. Canadian media drives hockey coverage in North America and Toronto drives Canadian media.

If Eichel played for the Rangers he would be much more promoted. His lack of exposure has more to do with playing on an inconsequential team that is not of much of a factor in the league. I'm not arguing that playing in Toronto doesn't result in more coverage because it obviously does. But this big league Buffalo talent is less visible because he plays on a lackluster team that lacks relevancy. In Chicago both Toews and Kane are well known to all of North America because they are playing for a team that consistently contends for the Cup. Would they get even more attention if they played in Toronto? Absolutely. But without a doubt the Canadian market is acutely aware of those Chicago players because of the caliber of the team they play for. The same line of thinking applies to Sid the Kid in Pittsburgh.

If Eichel played for the Rangers he would be much more promoted. His lack of exposure has more to do with playing on an inconsequential team that is not of much of a factor in the league. I'm not arguing that playing in Toronto doesn't result in more coverage because it obviously does. But this big league Buffalo talent is less visible because he plays on a lackluster team that lacks relevancy. In Chicago both Toews and Kane are well known to all of North America because they are playing for a team that consistently contends for the Cup. Would they get even more attention if they played in Toronto? Absolutely. But without a doubt the Canadian market is acutely aware of those Chicago players because of the caliber of the team they play for. The same line of thinking applies to Sid the Kid in Pittsburgh.

I know.

I'm asking you to imagine what the situation would be if the Eichel/Matthews and Sabres/Leafs roles were reversed. Matthews would be largely ignored and Eichel would have the media all over his nutsack. A study of how the Leafs tank vs. our tank was covered is all the proof I need.

I know.

I'm asking you to imagine what the situation would be if the Eichel/Matthews and Sabres/Leafs roles were reversed. Matthews would be largely ignored and Eichel would have the media all over his nutsack. A study of how the Leafs tank vs. our tank was covered is all the proof I need.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that the Toronto and Canadian market are on a different level that drive the sport. It's similar to the European market compared to the American market in soccer.