Former Bills to Open High End Steakhouse in Buffalo

Lets pace ourselves then. One of my favorite threads.

Do the high end places use the sous method?

There must be a trick besides due diligence to nail it night after night under the high speed life of the grill Chef.

Put together a starter grill with my future son in law.

Has a smoke box. He is a very good cook and he wanted to learn more about slow cooking.

I feel a good summer coming up.

What was the opening date for the Restaurant ?

looking forward to some reports

Sous vide has to be how banquets, etc. crank out 300+ meals at a time. Places like the Ritz have to do this, I'd think.

Glad the future son in law can cook! Happy SUMMER!!!!

Anyone been to a Jeff Ruby's? We are getting one here soon.

Haven't been to the Jeff Ruby's in Cincy, but I follow a lot of stuff there. (Hint, hint, Xavier basketball.) His places get rave reviews, but I recall seating is tight and can be a little noisy. Not uncommon. Hope you enjoy!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't lived in Buffalo in a long time and I'll admit to not being a big steakhouse fan, but I like Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. The aging is really important and hard to replicate in different locations. The steaks at the Peter Luger's in Great Neck are not as good.

As to the sous vide, it's looks interesting. I think I saw something about some chef using this method for cooking something. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Some day I'm going there, seen it plenty on tv and looks awesome.

You are NOT a lemming--I learned about sous vide from a 5-star chef who told me that anyone who loves great food is selling themselves short if they don't have one in their home.

Yup.

And once companies started making them for the home and they came down in price, it was a no brainer for me.

The seriouseats.com site recommended the Oliso -- it had good reviews so that's why I ordered that one.

Thanks. I'll put one on my wish list. Once you get rolling let us know what you think of the whole sous vide thing. Good luck!

After reading this thread, I told the wife I was going to give her an Anova for Xmas so she could start doing sous vide.

She wasn't happy.

I gave my wife a grill for our first Xmas together. Even better, I "snuck out" with a friend to go put it together while leaving my lovely bride with my parents. The friend and I ended getting frustrated - and more than a little drunk. Yep, I was quite the catch!

(In my defense, she's had 30+ years of not having to cook on grill nights.)

Thanks. I'll put one on my wish list. Once you get rolling let us know what you think of the whole sous vide thing. Good luck!

I'm extremely curious and excited to try it! Will definitely let you know how it goes. My wife is actually a great cook so I'm "surprising" her with it as well.

It's what I have too. I've been very happy with it. I would go with a whole unit system next time largely for convenience and because I already have the Anova for vessel flexibility. If prices were vastly different I'd just get another Anova.

I don't have a good recommendation as I hate mine. I owned it prior to the Anova and didn't know what I needed. I'd Recommend getting one with a wet/liquids setting so it doesn't mash your more delicate foods. Mine just has one mode and it crushes delicate food so I have to use ziplocks for that stuff.

If you've got the cash, get a chamber sealer. They're meant to handle wet foods and even liquids. You can sous vide soup or braise in the bag.

If you've got the cash, get a chamber sealer. They're meant to handle wet foods and even liquids. You can sous vide soup or braise in the bag.

The Oliso will supposedly also work with liquids...on their website it lists for $169.99 but if you put one in your shopping cart and register, but then leave it in the cart for 30 minutes, they will send you a 20% off code via email to "help" you finalize your decision.

I did this yesterday and ordered it with free shipping for $136.

I'm extremely curious and excited to try it! Will definitely let you know how it goes. My wife is actually a great cook so I'm "surprising" her with it as well.

about to pop some eggs in this morning, and probably doing some steaks this evening.

I did some steaks for my first attempt. Timed it for my wife's arrival back from work. She then informed me she had a massage for a sore neck, and it would be another hour plus. That never would have been "cool news" in the past. Turned out fine, but I should have had the temp lower, closer to 130. Not the fault of the system though. LOVED that flexibility!

Does anyone else think Ruth Chris is meh ? I don't think I love it.

Aberdeen Barn and River Stone Chopshouse in Hampton Roads Va are excellent.

Last trip to Ruth's Chris was less than meh. Hence, the last trip. Years ago it was much better. Too many options to give them too many chances.