Bills: New Stadium or Renovation?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the stadium report that was released a couple years ago it wouldn't cost that much more building an open air stadium downtown then it would renovating the Ralph to match what Green Bay and KC did.

It's pointless to build in OP.

...except for all the existing parking and infrastructure.

According to the stadium report that was released a couple years ago it wouldn't cost that much more building an open air stadium downtown then it would renovating the Ralph to match what Green Bay and KC did.

It's pointless to build in OP.

That low crime rate in Orchard Park sucks.

...except for all the existing parking and infrastructure.

Do not worry, the mayor of Buffalo will be kicking in millions for infrastructure improvements!

Hammer disagrees! :beer:

I can't wait for this topic to come up again in 2-3 months.

Should the Bills build a new stadium, or extensively renovate the Ralph like what Chicago did in 2002?

1. Would they move the stadium away from the snow belt and move downtown?
  2. Where would they play home games during the renovation?
  3. Is a retractable roof a possibility in either renovation or new build?
  4. How much would an extensive renovation cost compared to a new stadium?
  5. Would the state or NFL help fund the stadium?
  • Shouldn't but that does not mean they should
  • Renovations are done in stages and the NFL often adjusts schedule for this work; some teams only have one game at home in September so maybe our home game will be in London so they have until October to get stadium ready. Preseason? See if Orlando will for preseason games, there is more action then a ProBowl and they pay for that
  • Retractable roof is a BAD idea - these roofs cannot handle amount of snow Buffalo gets (see game moved to Detroit). Make it a shell around the stands with center open and the sides slanted to help snow fall off.
  • A lot less
  • Depends on how soon after they were asked to kick in for renovation they just paid for.

I think it should be in Horseheads right off I86.

No Horseheads is the new landfill designation for all the buildings they would need to tear down for a new stadium; while they are at it they can clean out the Niagara dump and move it there too.

I am calling my shots right now: (or I have had so many shots I am drunk)

5.) This project will create hudnreds of construction jobs in WNY over the next 10 years and will be a tremendous boost to the area.

Ten years of construction jobs. LOL!

Two Words: Goat Island.

Will be fun to watch the fans hurl themselves over the falls each time Shaq Lawson drops into coverage (those that haven't already because of his medical issues or just Rex in general).

Fans are worried about ghosts from a Indian cemetery will be really worried when some goat ghosts show up. But having fans who go overboard and insane hurl themselves over the falls is a good; maybe Bills can set up a PPV Cam.

Do not worry, the mayor of Buffalo will be kicking in millions for infrastructure improvements!

That check will bounce so many times you will think Pat* ball boys handled it.

I love the idea of a new stadium downtown, but if they can do a full renovation like Arrowhead, why not? Someone said that the Ralph is not suited for that but I can't see why not. I'm moving more to the renovate camp.

They can but whether it fits in their plans is the big question and I do not expect them to be honest about it for it could drive up their costs.

With contentious new-stadium talk trailing #Bills, #WNY like a heat-seeking missile, a backgrounder on the process: http://blogs.canoe.com/krykslants/nfl/new-bills-stadium-not-so-fast/

Great read, thanks for posting. Sheds light on the need for furtiveness at this point, frustrating though it may be for those of us who want to know everything all of the time.

I still think back to the Pegulas' introductory press conference where Terry said, as quoted in Kryk's piece here:

“We will gradually proceed to plan and design a stadium for the Buffalo Bills. You know these things take time.”

I distinctly remember that Russ Brandon couldn't get on mic fast enough to walk that comment back, understanding that the Bills benefit from nothing but staying completely mum on the topic for the time being, under the current terms of the lease.

Edited by jimmy10

Ten years of construction jobs. LOL!

Thanks for the well thought out and intelligently stated reply. LOL

Seriously though, construction of the new stadium will take several years, right? (3-5 years). Upgrading the roads and infrastructure in and around the area will take several years and will need to start before actual stadium construction. And then once they move to the new stadium, something will need to be done with the Ralph. Demolition, clean-up and rebuilding something else in its place will take time. No matter where it is built, a new stadium will lead to new jobs (good paying jobs) being created in WNY over an extended period of time.

I now await your comprehensive, intellectual rebuttal.

Every new stadium has a gimmick... What would the Bills stadium gimmick be?

Ex: Jerryworld has a giant TV and Arizona has a retractable field.

A "No Games After December" policy?

this has been discussed a lot and argued. I think all angles have a lot of merit (except for the silly Niagara Falls idea)

1. I think that they would prefer it downtown. Would the costs of the property and infrastructure be too burdonsome than it would adjacent to RWS?

2. If there is a Reno, I think they would have to tier it over a few years. It isn't feasible for the team to play elsewhere. Syracuse and Toronto would be the only options.

3. Retractable roof would be a possibility only with a new stadium.

4. Extensive renovation would be significantly less than a new stadium, especially when factored in infrastructure costs.

5. The State and County would help with a Stadium. Im assuming Pegula would have significant private investment, as would Delaware North. The NFL has their loan program too.

Niagara Falls is not so silly.

I'll call my shot. I won't be a Bills season ticket holder by the time a new stadium is built. I'll be 49 this year and I don't see me making the trek past 60. Having a hard time picturing everything coming together in 11 - 12 years. Location, funding, blueprints, workforce, time to build, I'd be shocked if it's ready in my season ticket lifetime.

Beyond that I like Orchard Park as the location, it feels like home. Keep it there and get some kind of legacy agreement from the NFL to allow traditional tailgating forever and ever.