June Movies: Independence Day, Finding Dory, & Free State

This movie was just made too late to really capitalize on WoW's peak popularity. Personally, I think they should have used either Cataclysm or the Lich King story lines. Those are more easily adapted to movie-based story telling. but would they have to do pre-quels afterwards?

With the success in China, it did make a profit, but I think they need to make this a Netflix series if they want to continue in the future.

Lich King would have been great. But NO.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood TMNT. The cartoons never kept my interest, have not seen the movies. Saw the trailer for this one while watching Cap'n America: Civil War and yawned. What am I missing?

I'm interested in ID2 from a nostalgic point of view; not expecting it to be great.

The turtles are from after your time. It really is that simple. We all have shows we can say the same thing about.

Matthew McConaughey stars in, "Free State of Jones". As civil war divides the nation, a poor farmer from Mississippi leads a group of rebels against the Confederate army. It is not often that you see historical dramas released around this time of year, McConaughey's star power and subject matter have caught people's attention. It's quite likely that many people will be reading up on this event, that very few no about, that took place during the Civil War. Also starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Keri Russell.

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/06/free_state_of_jones_leader_new_1.html#incart_most-read_living_article

Surprising that Warcraft has a 30% Critic rating but 80% of audiences liked it.

I said the same thing. It's like the critics are hating on it because they think they are supposed to? Or they just have such a disconnect from the story they have no idea what's going on.

ID2 is getting bad reviews unfortunately, hopefully they are wrong. I think I will enjoy it!

Edited by What a Tuel

ID2 is getting bad reviews unfortunately, hopefully they are wrong. I think I will enjoy it!

I just got back from checking out ID2... it wasn't terrible but it wasn't very strong either. Even judging it just on a Roland Emmerich. Even though it clocks in at 2 hours, it felt rushed. Like it needed a good 30-40 minutes more to establish some of the characters and stories. It has its charm, it's big and loud and the effects were fun (until the end which looked too much like watching a video game).

It was just "meh" for me.

Why is there a media blackout on ID2?

I haven't seen any advertising or press releases, not even from the actors, on this movie. We usually get a year or two of teasers, but it feels like ID2 is almost a surprise. I saw my first trailer of it before watching X-Men Apocalypse -this month.

Why is there a media blackout on ID2?

I haven't seen any advertising or press releases, not even from the actors, on this movie. We usually get a year or two of teasers, but it feels like ID2 is almost a surprise. I saw my first trailer of it before watching X-Men Apocalypse -this month.

I can't speak for everywhere, but in LA there's been plenty of press/billboards/TV spots. They also ran a bunch of spots during the NBA finals.

I can't speak for everywhere, but in LA there's been plenty of press/billboards/TV spots. They also ran a bunch of spots during the NBA finals.

Is there any movie they don't advertise for out there?

I said the same thing. It's like the critics are hating on it because they think they are supposed to? Or they just have such a disconnect from the story they have no idea what's going on.

It's always going to be like that. Your typical movie goer sees a movie because they want to. Critics see it because they have to.

The turtles are from after your time. It really is that simple. We all have shows we can say the same thing about.

Yeah, I think you're right. I wasn't remembering the timeline but I just researched it...TMNT started getting popular just as I was heading off to college. Definitely after my time for that sort of stuff.

For those who have seen the new Independance Day, do they explain Will Smith's absense?

Did they kill off his character?

CBF

They do and they did. It's handled off screen, he died testing out a new plane.

Yup. Saved the world only to die as a test pilot -- because someone like him wouldn't be seen as too valuable to risk as a friggin' test pilot.

We saw "Finding Dory" on Sunday afternoon. Watching my 3 year old grandson was more fun than

watching the movie. He loved it. I recommend it to any age group.

Except for the screaming 6 month old four rows behind us.

Saw "Finding Dory" last night and I liked it, although I don't think it's as great as most people are saying. I admit that I have had issues with reasons for this movie being made in the first place. It felt like a pure cash grab, and not some meaningful story was being made.

To me, "Finding Nemo" had a very good story and it had a good ending that made you feel that there was nothing more to add to these characters. I also am in the minority when it comes to the consensus that Dory is the funniest character in "Finding Nemo". Dory is funny, but she's a supporting character and she's part of the act with the interaction with Marlin. Personally, I think Marlin is funnier than Dory. Having a movie centered around Dory, just did not make sense to me.

As for the movie itself, the animation is spectacular, as usual. It is nice to see these characters again, although I wish they hadn't recycled some of the same jokes from the last movie, i.e. Krush & the Seagulls.

Of the new characters, the most welcome addition is Hank the octopus. He is by far the best and funniest of them all. Becky is one oddball character that had the audience laughing a lot at. The Sigourney Weaver joke was quite clever.

The whale speak joke was way overdone in this movie. It worked in the first movie, because it was one scene and it was brief. This time it came off as annoying. Also, why is Dory speaking whale to a creature that isn't a whale?

Anyway, the movie is enjoyable, the artists at Pixar do a fine job. I did love the scene at the very end of the credits. Good job.

Now please, Pixar, get back to "Toy Story 4" & "The Incredibles 2". Those are sequels that really need to be made.

Saw "Finding Dory" last night and I liked it, although I don't think it's as great as most people are saying. I admit that I have had issues with reasons for this movie being made in the first place. It felt like a pure cash grab, and not some meaningful story was being made.

To me, "Finding Nemo" had a very good story and it had a good ending that made you feel that there was nothing more to add to these characters. I also am in the minority when it comes to the consensus that Dory is the funniest character in "Finding Nemo". Dory is funny, but she's a supporting character and she's part of the act with the interaction with Marlin. Personally, I think Marlin is funnier than Dory. Having a movie centered around Dory, just did not make sense to me.

There was more to be added - how such a mentally idled character survived not being eaten for so long - just not one I am willing to pay full price for. I'll wait for it to come on cable movie channel.

Now please, Pixar, get back to "Toy Story 4" & "The Incredibles 2". Those are sequels that really need to be made.

Toy Story 4? Why can't they just leave it where they did? That would be a great ending to the whole series.

ID1 was the biggest letdown in terms of movie going experience for me.

All the hype, along with being the first movie I ever went to a midnight opening showing it was utter trash.

It may have launched Will Smith's career for some, but it ruined his career for me.

I have no desire to waste my time or money on ID2.