June Movies: Independence Day, Finding Dory, & Free State

The Summer Season of movies kicks into high gear, as the month of June arrives. Schools are closing for vacation, and temperatures are getting hotter. Two big superhero movies in May have already given the public a big share of action, but there is still plenty more to come. Comedies will be a big option this month as well. Of course there will be sequels too. Two of the biggest ones are from hit movies that came out a long time ago.

In 1996, 20th Century Fox brought the public a highly anticipated sci-fi/disaster/war movie with "Independence Day". A few months earlier Fox opened a bunch of eyes with it's first trailer shown during the Super Bowl, something that movie studios had never done before. People were awestruck as they saw the White House being destroyed by a ray blast from the sky. Audiences flocked to see this movie, as it made Jeff Goldblum a summer staple and launched Will Smith's movie career. 20 years later, after long in development plans, 20th Century Fox brings the sequel, "Independence Day: Resurgence". Two decades after the first Independence Day invasion, Earth is faced with a new extra-Solar threat. But will mankind's new space defenses be enough? Trailers have been effective, but are fans of the original who have asked for a sequel many times, still interested in this brand? For the generation who grew up watching this on TV, they will find appeal in the newer faces that will add star power for them. Starring Liam Hemsworth, Maika Monroe, Joey King, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, William Fichtner, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Vivica A. Fox, Sela Ward, Judd Hirsch & Brent Spiner.

In 2003, Disney & Pixar released it's 5th computer animated movie, "Finding Nemo". The story of a Clownfish searching for his kidnapped son was a huge success for Pixar as they continued to show how great they were at making these movies, and it brought Ellen Degeneres' career out of the toilet. 13 years later, Disney/Pixar release a somewhat unexpected sequel, this time focusing on a secondary character in "Finding Dory". The friendly-but-forgetful blue tang fish reunites with her loved ones, and everyone learns a few things about the real meaning of family along the way. Fans who loved the original movie, will no doubt show up for this one as well. The only bit of skepticism is, did this story really need a sequel? Starring the voices of Ellen Degeneres, Albert Brooks, Idris Elba, Kate McKinnon, Bill Hader, Dominic West, Diane Keaton, Kaitlin Olson, Andrew Stanton, Ed O'Neill, Ty Burrell and Eugene Levy.

Matthew McConaughey stars in, "Free State of Jones". As civil war divides the nation, a poor farmer from Mississippi leads a group of rebels against the Confederate army. It is not often that you see historical dramas released around this time of year, McConaughey's star power and subject matter have caught people's attention. It's quite likely that many people will be reading up on this event, that very few no about, that took place during the Civil War. Also starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Keri Russell.

Blake Lively stars in, "The Shallows". A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, with her short journey to safety becoming the ultimate contest of wills. If you saw "Captain America: Civil War", you saw the trailer for this. Shark movies bring a lot of excitement, and this taut thriller could be a surprise hit. Also starring Oscar Jaenada, Brett Cullen & Sedona Legge.

In "Warcraft", The peaceful realm of Azeroth stands on the brink of war as its civilization faces a fearsome race of invaders: orc warriors fleeing their dying home to colonize another. As a portal opens to connect the two worlds, one army faces destruction and the other faces extinction. From opposing sides, two heroes are set on a collision course that will decide the fate of their family, their people, and their home. Starring Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster & Dominic Cooper.

In "TMNT: Out of the Shadows", As Shredder joins forces with mad scientist Baxter Stockman and henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady to take over the world, the Turtles must confront an even greater nemesis: the notorious Krang. Starring Megan Fox, Will Arnett, Tyler Perry & Laura Linney.

Andy Samberg stars in "Popstar: Never Stop Popping". When it becomes clear that his solo album is a failure, a former boy band member does everything in his power to maintain his celebrity status. Also starring Jorma Taccone, Akiva Schaffer & Sarah Silverman.

In "The Conjuring 2", Lorraine and Ed Warren travel to north London to help a single mother raising four children alone in a house plagued by malicious spirits. Starring Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Madison Wolfe & Frances O'Connor.

In "Me Before You", A girl in a small town forms an unlikely bond with a recently-paralyzed man she's taking care of. Starring Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin, Janet McTeer & Charles Dance.

From the sequel that nobody was asking for department comes, "Now You See Me 2". The Four Horsemen resurface and are forcibly recruited by a tech genius to pull off their most impossible heist yet. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Dave Franco, Daniel Radcliffe, Lizzy Caplan, Sanaa Lathan, Morgan Freeman & Michael Caine.

Finally Dwayne Johnson & Kevin Hart star in "Central Intelligence". After he reunites with an old pal through Facebook, a mild-mannered accountant is lured into the world of international espionage. Also starring Aaron Paul & Amy Ryan.

Calendar with Trailers

6/3

"Me Before You": http://mebeforeyoumovie.com/#/

"TMNT: Out of the Shadows": http://www.teenagemutantninjaturtlesmovie.com/

"Popstar: Never Stop Popping": http://www.popstarmovie.com/

6/10

"Warcraft": http://www.warcraftmovie.com/

"Now You See Me 2": http://www.nowyouseeme.movie/

"The Conjuring 2": http://www.theconjuring2.com/

6/17

"Finding Dory": http://movies.disney.com/finding-dory

"Central Intelligence": http://www.centralintelligencemovie.com/

6/24

"Independence Day: Resurgence": http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/independence-day-resurgence

"Free State of Jones": http://stxmovies.com/freestateofjones/

6/29

"The Shallows": http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/theshallows/

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FInding Dory - probably first Pixar film which I have no desire to see at theatres; Losing Dory I would see.

ID2 - maybe, great movie for theatre but is it more CGI, too much CGI, then first movie?

Now you see me 2 - better film than I expected when I rented it so maybe if Mrs wants to see I will.

TMNT 2 - I liked TMNT but something feels wrong here, not sure what. It is not doing to well so think others feel it too.

Others - blah; maybe okay to rent see on cable movie channel but not enough for me to go to theatre and put up with commercials/previews just to get a good seat.

Last summer, Jurassic World felt like the sequel that no one really wanted to see made, but it wound up being a huge surprise. I don't see the same happening with Independence Day this year. I just don't get a good feeling from the trailers. And speaking of those, one thing really bugs me about some of the story presented there. So in the 20 years since the first one, the aliens have developed much more advanced technology so that they can re-attack. Why didn't the same thing happen during the even longer period of time between the area 51 crash and the first movie? Yeah, I know, there's no movie without it, but it just seems dumb to me. And I almost never focus on stuff like this.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw "Finding Dory" on Sunday afternoon. Watching my 3 year old grandson was more fun than

watching the movie. He loved it. I recommend it to any age group.

Except for the screaming 6 month old four rows behind us.

Watched Warcraft.

It's the best movie, based on a video game, ever made. Mainly because It didn't sell out.

The story and characters are taken from the games, and included a lot of useless tidbits, just to be accurate. However, it's probably why it's getting bad critical reviews because it doesn't cater to non-players. Basically, if you've never played Warcraft -ever, you're going to be asking "who the hell is that guy, and why did they mention him if we never see him again?" and "Why are there multiple main characters? Why can't they just follow one plot?"

-an example would be the significance of the baby. Completely pointless if you have no idea who he is...

As a player, you're going to see a lot of easter eggs- and squeal like a girl when you see actual game characters (and architecture, and armor) in the movie. It was produced by the game developers, and not a movie studio.

As an oblivious movie goer, you're going to be confused (and bored) in parts. Like your girlfriend when you forced her to watch LOTR.

FYI: i've played the game, but know next to nothing about the lore or backstory.

The international title is "Warcraft: The Beginning" , so it's meant to have sequels.

I have no interest in the movie, but I do like hearing stuff like that. I know these studios are almost always motivated by the almighty dollar and want to make movies with broad appeal, but I like that they can throw something out there with a very specific target audience in mind. I don't care in the slightest if no one else likes a movie as long as I do. Warcraft isn't the movie for me, but I'd love to see more movies out there where I am the target viewer.

I have no interest in the movie, but I do like hearing stuff like that. I know these studios are almost always motivated by the almighty dollar and want to make movies with broad appeal, but I like that they can throw something out there with a very specific target audience in mind. I don't care in the slightest if no one else likes a movie as long as I do. Warcraft isn't the movie for me, but I'd love to see more movies out there where I am the target viewer.

They probably should have released it as a mini-series on Netflix instead of a theatrical release. It's similar to the final fantasy movies -not for general audiences.

It does have the best cgi Magic effects I've ever seen in movies. Very well depicted. (better than LOTR)

I will admit that I got excited when one of the characters was holding a weapon I had used in the game... So a little bit of fanboy came out.

Would having seen the first Conjuring movie be a necessity in order to get/enjoy Conjuring 2?

I ask because we have a drive-in theater that has two screens in our town. On one screen, Finding Dory is on first with a crap movie following; on screen two, however, Conjuring 2 is playing second.

I'd like to finagle a way to switch screens in between movies, but want to know if I'd enjoy Conjuring 2 without seeing the original.

For Warcraft that target audience was in China.

...Same goes for most tentpole flicks these days, but especially Warcraft.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-china-box-office-warcraft-200-million-20160620-snap-story.html

Watched Warcraft.

It's the best movie, based on a video game, ever made. Mainly because It didn't sell out.

The story and characters are taken from the games, and included a lot of useless tidbits, just to be accurate. However, it's probably why it's getting bad critical reviews because it doesn't cater to non-players. Basically, if you've never played Warcraft -ever, you're going to be asking "who the hell is that guy, and why did they mention him if we never see him again?" and "Why are there multiple main characters? Why can't they just follow one plot?"

-an example would be the significance of the baby. Completely pointless if you have no idea who he is...

As a player, you're going to see a lot of easter eggs- and squeal like a girl when you see actual game characters (and architecture, and armor) in the movie. It was produced by the game developers, and not a movie studio.

As an oblivious movie goer, you're going to be confused (and bored) in parts. Like your girlfriend when you forced her to watch LOTR.

FYI: i've played the game, but know next to nothing about the lore or backstory.

The international title is "Warcraft: The Beginning" , so it's meant to have sequels.

i played the game religiously for years. Was damn good too.

I hated this movie. I know it was "The Beginning" meaning it all took place before WOW itself ever took place. But it just wasn't good IMO.

I know there is a ton of lore with the game and characters that play major roles. It I feel they got the movie all wrong. The game at the beginning at least was all about quests and raiding. In that regard they completely lost track of what die hard fans might be looking for. Even if they wanted to keep the storyline the way it was they could have easily had the main characters partake in some quest to find a weapon or armor or book/spell to defeat the Horde. Or from the Horde side, vice versa.

It also would have been nice to see more than basically 2 races in the movie. The Orcs and Humans got boring. The Elves have been around for centuries and they were almost non existent. Same with the Dwarves.

It also would have been great to see more places in the movie. In the game the world is massive. And that's not including the instances or raids. It would have been nice to see some of the instance areas and throw in some boss fights. (A wow player will understand)

I hope it created enough buzz to make more and if like to see where they go with it but I wasn't pleased with this movie.

i played the game religiously for years. Was damn good too.

I hated this movie. I know it was "The Beginning" meaning it all took place before WOW itself ever took place. But it just wasn't good IMO.

I know there is a ton of lore with the game and characters that play major roles. It I feel they got the movie all wrong. The game at the beginning at least was all about quests and raiding. In that regard they completely lost track of what die hard fans might be looking for. Even if they wanted to keep the storyline the way it was they could have easily had the main characters partake in some quest to find a weapon or armor or book/spell to defeat the Horde. Or from the Horde side, vice versa.

It also would have been nice to see more than basically 2 races in the movie. The Orcs and Humans got boring. The Elves have been around for centuries and they were almost non existent. Same with the Dwarves.

It also would have been great to see more places in the movie. In the game the world is massive. And that's not including the instances or raids. It would have been nice to see some of the instance areas and throw in some boss fights. (A wow player will understand)

I hope it created enough buzz to make more and if like to see where they go with it but I wasn't pleased with this movie.

The lore goes beyond World of Warcraft. There were three games before that.

Warcraft 1 was orcs vs humans. They had to make a few adaptations, (the fact it took months instead of years) but you have to remember that they had to reference the books and previous lore as well. You can't skip the first game if you're doing origins.

The biggest criticism of this movie is that they tried to put in too much. I agree that it would have been better if they had focused on one plot, but then you also said that you were disappointed that they didn't include elves, undead, tauren.... goblins... there is sooo much to put into one movie.

Gamers are split on this movie because they have their own memory of which game(s) should have been the focus. Many liked 2 & 3 story while others only know about WoW. -I have friends who've played them all.

Actually, I thought it would have been funny if they had focused on the "hero" aspect of it (we are the gamers) and sent some noob on his first "quest" and come back commenting that half the wolves had no teeth to loot...

The lore goes beyond World of Warcraft. There were three games before that.

Warcraft 1 was orcs vs humans. They had to make a few adaptations, (the fact it took months instead of years) but you have to remember that they had to reference the books and previous lore as well. You can't skip the first game if you're doing origins.

The biggest criticism of this movie is that they tried to put in too much. I agree that it would have been better if they had focused on one plot, but then you also said that you were disappointed that they didn't include elves, undead, tauren.... goblins... there is sooo much to put into one movie.

Gamers are split on this movie because they have their own memory of which game(s) should have been the focus. Many liked 2 & 3 story while others only know about WoW. -I have friends who've played them all.

Actually, I thought it would have been funny if they had focused on the "hero" aspect of it (we are the gamers) and sent some noob on his first "quest" and come back commenting that half the wolves had no teeth to loot...

yeah. I know there were games before wow. I know there's a ton of lore in it. But let's be honest with each other. The only reason why there was even a remote chance of this game becoming a movie is because of the die hard WOW players. I dont take away from the lore. In fact I am glad they got to as much as they did. But realistically they would have been better off starting from WOW pre BC days for the first movie. Going in from there and maybe doing some prequels. Because as it is now, I think tuI movie did fairly poorly and I see them having a very hard time getting funds for additional movies at this point.

Just MO

Never understood TMNT. The cartoons never kept my interest, have not seen the movies. Saw the trailer for this one while watching Cap'n America: Civil War and yawned. What am I missing?

I'm interested in ID2 from a nostalgic point of view; not expecting it to be great.

yeah. I know there were games before wow. I know there's a ton of lore in it. But let's be honest with each other. The only reason why there was even a remote chance of this game becoming a movie is because of the die hard WOW players. I dont take away from the lore. In fact I am glad they got to as much as they did. But realistically they would have been better off starting from WOW pre BC days for the first movie. Going in from there and maybe doing some prequels. Because as it is now, I think tuI movie did fairly poorly and I see them having a very hard time getting funds for additional movies at this point.

Just MO

This movie was just made too late to really capitalize on WoW's peak popularity. Personally, I think they should have used either Cataclysm or the Lich King story lines. Those are more easily adapted to movie-based story telling. but would they have to do pre-quels afterwards?

With the success in China, it did make a profit, but I think they need to make this a Netflix series if they want to continue in the future.