ESPN: Ryans planning to take control.

From what I heard on ESPN radio this morning it sounds as though ESPN believes that Rex and Rob Ryan are planning to espouse their control of the Bills this season. This all stems from the fact that Vic Carruci reported back in January 2015 that the Pegulas issued an ultimatum to both Whaley and Rex Ryan that either they get the Bills into the playoffs in 2016 or they will both be fired.

The implication is that Rex is now "all in" meaning that if he is going to go down then he is going to go down "his way". "His way" means that Rex is going to surround himself with people who believe in him as a HC and in his defensive philosophy. He has added Ed Reed and vet DC Rob Ryan already, which fortifies that thought. He has also let guys like star player DE Mar. Williams fly the coup because they were not "all in". He seems seriously pissed at Mario for the way that he behaved last year.

ESPN seemed to think that if push comes to shove that the Ryans will stick together (they are very close after all) and overtake Whaley if need be in order to stay employed with the Bills and then eventually usher in THEIR choice for the new Bills' GM job.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Of course, winning solves all.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I heard on ESPN radio this morning it sounds as though ESPN believes that Rex and Rob Ryan are planning to espouse their control of the Bills this season. This all stems from the fact that Vic Carruci reported back in January 2015 that the Pegulas issued an ultimatum to both Whaley and Rex Ryan that either they get the Bills into the playoffs in 2016 or they will both be fired.

The implication is that Rex is now "all in" meaning that if he is going to go down then he is going to go down "his way". "His way" means that Rex is going to surround himself with people who believe in him as a HC and in his defensive philosophy. He has added Ed Reed and vet DC Rob Ryan already, which fortifies that thought. He has also let guys like star player DE Mar. Williams fly the coup because they were not "all in". He seems seriously pissed at Mario for the way that he behaved last year.

ESPN seemed to think that if push comes to shove that the Ryans will stick together (they are very close after all) and overtake Whaley if need be in order to stay employed with the Bills and then eventually usher in THEIR choice for the new Bills' GM job.

I dont have a problem with any of this

at least RR will not be able to say at the end of the year that it is anyone's elses doing (if he fails)......

Let him do this....that is what I say

Edited by John from Hemet

I hate to be a naysayer. I'm really trying to find a hint of optimism. But reading that just made me feel like this team is going to be a 4-win team (after 17 weeks, not 4).

I don't see this as good news. At all.

I hate to be a naysayer. I'm really trying to find a hint of optimism. But reading that just made me feel like this team is going to be a 4-win team (after 17 weeks, not 4).

I am suprised.......really....that you feel this way.

Edited by John from Hemet

I dont have a problem with any of this

at least RR will not be able to say at the end of the year that it is anyone's elses doing (if he fails)......

Let him do this....that is what I say

So he crashed it....now he will burn it....and is already committed to stabbing Whaley in the back because he knows it won't work and he needs an excuse? And you don't have a problem with THAT?

Is there ANYTHING you WOULD have a problem with?

FWIW I think ESPN is doing their normal trash and interpreting the SI article. As usual they seem to be doing it in a sensational and illogical manner. They have their teams they praise and those they criticize. We are on the wrong list. They have done it for so long that I find it hard to believe it resonates with anyone. Personally I don't see Ryan as a high profile back stabber like this. Preston Brown is one thing but going after Whaley doesn't seem likely.

But if it were to be taken at face value there is a lot in there to "have a problem with".

This makes no sense. He's going to surround himself with his people, go all in on his way of doing things, but then have the ability to get the GM fired when none of that works? Talk about throwing **** against a wall.

Sounds like someone at ESPN read the MMQB article and is inferring from that, doesn't it?

So he crashed it....now he will burn it....and is already committed to stabbing Whaley in the back because he knows it won't work and he needs an excuse? And you don't have a problem with THAT?

Is there ANYTHING you WOULD have a problem with?

FWIW I think ESPN is doing their normal trash and interpreting the SI article. As usual they seem to be doing it in a sensational and illogical manner. They have their teams they praise and those they criticize. We are on the wrong list. They have done it for so long that I find it hard to believe it resonates with anyone. Personally I don't see Ryan as a high profile back stabber like this. Preston Brown is one thing but going after Whaley doesn't seem likely.

But if it were to be taken at face value there is a lot in there to "have a problem with".

Im not going to have a problem because I understand big picture and am not a chicken little

They are past year 1

It is not year 2

I will look at it again after year 2

So what exactly do the Ryans have against Whaley? Not drafting enough defensive players? I figured they were all on the same page.

Oh, and when did Mario Williams become the "victim?"

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He should be pissed at Mario. Hell, I'm not "all-in" on my current project either - it's a !@#$ed-up, bass-ackwards mismanaged death-march of a project with almost no hope of success. Doesn't mean I'm not giving it my all.

Of course, I'm not at risk for serious injury (aside from DVT or a heart attack from sitting at a desk 18 hours a day). But I'm not getting paid $100m, either. Mario's actions - or lack thereof - were bush-league nonsense.

I think people are making up stories. Rex and Doug seem to get along just fine.

This is kind of like Vic's supposed source who said that the Pegulas issued an ultimatum. One does not have to have an inside source (as Vic's said he had) to know that an ultimatum is not the Pegulas' style.

This is complete BS in my opinion.

Wasn't it just a rumor that Pegula delivered the ultimatum? I seem to recall that story being discredited shortly after it came out, though I don't have a link at the moment.

Yes, it was. If memory serves me correctly, it was even discredited by one of Vic's colleagues at TBN (either Ty Dunne or TG)

Edited by Peter

From what I heard on ESPN radio this morning

Sorry, I stopped reading there. What makes anyone think the blowhards on ESPN radio have any inside information as to what is going through Rex Ryan's mind?

Besides, it's simple -- all you have to do is ask him, like Jenny Vrentas did.

What a ridiculous thread.

Im not going to have a problem because I understand big picture and am not a chicken little

They are past year 1

It is not year 2

I will look at it again after year 2

And if they stab Whaley in the back like they said here, will you have a problem with it then?

I dont think you hate to.