MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTR- you make a good point, but why do these guys keep thinking talking tough in the media is going to help. I can see Belicheck reading this stuff and laughing.

Did they not read coach speak 101 with something like, Belicheck is a HOF coach, and we are going to give him our best. We'll let the scoreboard do the talking. No predictions. It's not backing down, but it's not smack talk before games. Let's hope for their sake the appeals are laughed at for Brady and he really is out for four games.

I gave thh edge to the Cardinals anyway for week 1 in Arizona, but without Brady, we need to win, and hope one of the other two teams can pull one off (probably the Texans as the Dolphins will be awful this year).

Just for the sake of fun. Wouldn't you rather beat Brady early while he drags this thing out an extra month or two and then has to serve his suspension late in the year. Maybe even Playoffs? One can dream....

PTR- you make a good point, but why do these guys keep thinking talking tough in the media is going to help. I can see Belicheck reading this stuff and laughing.

Did they not read coach speak 101 with something like, Belicheck is a HOF coach, and we are going to give him our best. We'll let the scoreboard do the talking. No predictions. It's not backing down, but it's not smack talk before games. Let's hope for their sake the appeals are laughed at for Brady and he really is out for four games.

I gave thh edge to the Cardinals anyway for week 1 in Arizona, but without Brady, we need to win, and hope one of the other two teams can pull one off (probably the Texans as the Dolphins will be awful this year).

I'll grant you if it were me I'd keep my mouth shut and save the rah-rah for the locker room. Rex can't stop himself in front of reporters, but I don't quibble with the message. The Bills should believe they can beat anyone.

He should just kowtow to the Patriots and tell his guys to give up and shoot for second place. Yeah, that's better.

Well said. This is football. It is a tough game. I would rather that our coaches and players have confidence and believe in themselves.

A few observations:

(1) The threads that turn into Rex bashing threads bring out the "usual suspects" who presumably do not realize the irony of their criticizing Rex for supposedly being a blow hard.

(2) Do you really think that what Rex or Rob said is going to give Belichick any more motivation to beat us. We have been embarrassed plenty of times by the Pats over the years with coaches of varying personalities. Oh, by the way, those complaining about this presumably ignored the part when Ryan said Belichick is the best coach in the history of the league.

(3) I suspect that those who take the lead in bashing our head coach are card carrying members of the Bucky and Sullen fan club (or Bucky or Sullen themselves).

(4) I suspect that the people who are so negative are (like sports radio and negative people on twitter) in the minority even though they tend to be the loudest and post/call/tweet most often.

(5) I hope that we (as a fan base) continue to support our team, coaches, and ownership. As I mentioned in another post, negativity breeds negativity. TBN (or at least some of the writers for TBN) and some here keep pushing their negative agenda no matter what the subject re the Bills or Sabres. There is a difference between being a realist and looking for the cloud in the silver lining.

Go Bills!

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

I'll grant you if it were me I'd keep my mouth shut and save the rah-rah for the locker room. Rex can't stop himself in front of reporters, but I don't quibble with the message. The Bills should believe they can beat anyone.

Then say it to the team and shut up with the media. These two dudes are so desperate for attention. They are like the Kardasdians.

Well said. This is football. It is a tough game. I would rather that our coaches and players have confidence and believe in themselves.

A few observations:

(1) The threads that turn into Rex bashing threads bring out the "usual suspects" who presumably do not realize the irony of their criticizing Rex for supposedly being a blow hard.

(2) Do you really think that what Rex or Rob said is going to give Belichick any more motivation to beat us. We have been embarrassed plenty of times by the Pats over the years with coaches of varying personalities. Oh, by the way, those complaining about this, presumably ignored the part when Ryan said Belichick is the best coach in the history of the league.

(3) I suspect that those who take the lead in bashing our head coach are card carrying members of the Bucky and Sullen fan club (or Bucky or Sullen themselves).

(4) I suspect that the people who are so negative are (like sports radio and negative people on twitter) in the minority even though they tend to be the loudest and post/call/tweet most often.

(5) I hope that we (as a fan base) continue to support our team, coaches, and ownership. As I mentioned in another post, negativity breeds negativity. TBN (or at least some of the writer for TBN) and some here keep pushing their negative agenda no matter what the subject re the Bills or Sabres. There is a difference between being a realist and looking for the cloud in the silver lining.

Go Bills!

Just my two cents.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

I would love to have beers with the Ryans. It just bothers me when you don't learn. I would argue that Dick Jauron accomplished more with less talent than Rex did last year.

Then say it to the team and shut up with the media. These two dudes are so desperate for attention. They are like the Kardasdians.

Granted it's a lot of talk, but they didn't force MMQB to come to OBD to interview them.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

A few observations:

(2) Do you really think that what Rex or Rob said is going to give Belichick any more motivation to beat us. We have been embarrassed plenty of times by the Pats over the years with coaches of varying personalities. Oh, by the way, those complaining about this presumably ignored the part when Ryan said Belichick is the best coach in the history of the league.

(5) I hope that we (as a fan base) continue to support our team, coaches, and ownership. As I mentioned in another post, negativity breeds negativity. TBN (or at least some of the writers for TBN) and some here keep pushing their negative agenda no matter what the subject re the Bills or Sabres. There is a difference between being a realist and looking for the cloud in the silver lining.

Go Bills!

Just my two cents.

I agree with you. I post on four sites devoted to the Bills and read a few others.

Sadly, this site is actually generally more positive than the others, imo.

Personally, if I was convinced in the way many of the negative posters appear to be, I'd find something else to do with my time.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Sadly, there were many who complained and wanted to get rid of Lincoln as well. It is a good thing we stuck with him.

Granted it's a lot of talk, but they didn't force MMQB to come to OBD to interview them?

They could either:

1) say no thanks but then they don't get attention

Or

2) not talk crap.

Be humble and learn from your mistakes. I want Ryan to build a dominant team here but they don't seem to change. I'm sure we will have the same undisplinced team that isn't held accountable by the coaches. Then next offseason, he will brag how this year will be different. Shut up and prove it.

Sadly, there were many who complained and wanted to get rid of Lincoln as well. It is a good thing we stuck with him.

Haha. Good point. A difference is the Ryan brothers would be the generals of the South, bragging, talking crap, and flying their loser flag after they lost the war. :)

They could either:

1) say no thanks but then they don't get attention

Or

2) not talk crap.

Be humble and learn from your mistakes. I want Ryan to build a dominant team here but they don't seem to change. I'm sure we will have the same undisplinced team that isn't held accountable by the coaches. Then next offseason, he will brag how this year will be different. Shut up and prove it.

Haha. Good point. A difference is the Ryan brothers would be the generals of the South, bragging, talking crap, and flying their loser flag after they lost the war. :)

Given that I believe that the Ryan brothers are good guys and their "army" has quite a different demographic, I see them as repelling Picket's (I mean Belichick/Brady's) charge and leading us to victory.

One can hope.

I agree with you. I post on four sites devoted to the Bills and read a few others.

Sadly, this site is actually generally more positive than the others, imo.

Personally, if I was convinced in the way many of the negative posters appear to be, I'd find something else to do with my time.

I am a very positive Bills fan and have been called a homer on many occasions. I just try to call it like I see it. The Ryan BS doesn't impress me at all. Jets fans got tired of it and I can see why.

I am a very positive Bills fan and have been called a homer on many occasions. I just try to call it like I see it. The Ryan BS doesn't impress me at all. Jets fans got tired of it and I can see why.

It is not correct to state that "Jets fans got tired of it . . . ." Some fans, yes. Nevertheless, I know plenty of Jets fans (including my uncle and cousins) who were upset when he got fired and continue to wish that he still coached the Jets.

Given that I believe that the Ryan brothers are good guys and their "army" has quite a different demographic, I see them as repelling Picket's (I mean Belichick/Brady's) charge and leading us to victory.

One can hope.

Haha. And I hope you are right and I know they are good guys. I just wish they were guys who would learn.

I've been a fan of the people who know they are awesome but never tell you how awesome they are. Like Derek Jeter. The Ryans are the complete opposite of that and they haven't won a thing.

It is not correct to state that "Jets fans got tired of it . . . ." Some fans, yes. Nevertheless, I know plenty of Jets fans (including my uncle and cousins) who were upset when he got fired and continue to wish that he still coached the Jets.

I think it is pretty easy to see they upgrade at coach with a guy who has a much different personality.

Some people will like his personality. But his coaching results don't back up his bravado.

Can someone who understands x's and o's more than I do please explain what Rob Ryan was talking about re: Jarius Byrd:

ROB: I think everything starts with the head coach and goes higher than that. They signed players; they signed a free-agent free safety [Jairus Byrd in 2014], and said, we are going to keep him in the middle of the field like the goalpost. Well, that’s great. He’s not going to make one play back there, and now we have changed the entire defense for one signing, and it ruined us. He’s a great kid. But the truth of the matter is, you let an All-Pro safety walk, Malcolm Jenkins, and lost your two best leaders on the team, him and Roman Harper. We changed the entire style of play. It was strange.

there is no x's and o's to what he said. from what i remember of the situation the saints hoped to have byrd become the pivot of their defense and siphon action to a position where he can manage the game if it beats the front line coverage of the run defense or if it gets anywhere beyond umbrella coverage in passes. byrd was very important impact player in stopping the run in buffalo. he was good on tackles and didn't miss often. he wasn't fast or quick but he got to where the ball was going to be all of the time. they hoped this was going to be the case in new orleans - hoped that by skimping in linebacker positions they could make up for better db's.

they failed miserably because they had a lot of holes on defense and byrd went to sucktown.

I think what we are already starting to see is the defense is starting to "take it personally" as well...from the reports at OTA's it is night and day difference from last year with how comfortable they are in the system...

Hmm...I wonder who Rex is referring to with this quote:

"I don’t know if we have 100 percent buy-in from even the entire building. I don’t know yet. "

rex is referring to whoever he can set up as the scapegoat. it is going to be a self fulfilling prophecy that where there is an issue he can convince himself that when he failed it was because someone else did not support him. it is a thinking error that counseling helps develop and correct.

he needs counseling.

A few observations:

Go Bills!

Just my two cents.

great cents.

regards to...

2. i guess its not that we're concerned about what others think, its that we're tired of hearing it ouselves. show us the baby or shut up.

3. sully is sullivan from tbn? who's bucky? i don't read buffalo media as much as many others here. simply don't care to. i can get much more info here. haven't read a tbn article or dc article in...years? hell, i may read 4-5 actual legit articles on the bills a year. i'll read 30-40 buffalo quips on espn, nfl.com, or other sites from time to time when it mentions something simple - someone hurt, etc. but i read a lot of the rob quinn stuff, etc. tho i disagree with it often.

4. i do not know if i i would say this. johnc has been loosing a lot of steam, for example, on enthusiasm. beerballs son, gugny, too. i have generally been upbeat. last year i chose to remain mum because i was not all that excited but i was optimistic... this year i have the same feeling and i am just tired of seeing the same OOO group that refuses to acknowledge anything less than 19-0 nonsense. there are many of them that cannot hold any weight to their statements.

5. i can only speak for myself. I SUPPORT THIS TEAM. and in my best opinion based on my studies, my evaluations of what i have seen on tape, what i know of this team, and what is in the best interest... the best interest of this team is to fire rex ryan immediately. you can support this team and still not like their decisions. if you blindly support everything the team does in the guise of supporting everything they do you knob gobble every bit of it until you just can't stop. sorry, i don't polish the helmet. once you start buffing the pleasure rod you just can't stop licking the lolly.

as already noted, lincoln had detractors. he was also a man of great irony and hypocrisy. he divided a nation by war preemptively, without cause, for starters. i only bring this up (not for politics reasons or ppp nonsense) but because the effect drawing hard lines in the sand. ryan has done so. my side and my way or youre not on my side.

well, those lines didn't exist last year. if they ddi they were ambiguous. if they ever are going to exist this year theyre goign to be tested because players will already realize rex is soft. and he will clearly favor better players to test those. hes that type of leader. anyone can see it in him with a lick of sense. he's a poor leader.

i don't doubt that those fans are still out there wanting rex back with the jets. there are also fans who still want marrone, gailey and dickerson.

Haha. And I hope you are right and I know they are good guys. I just wish they were guys who would learn.

I've been a fan of the people who know they are awesome but never tell you how awesome they are. Like Derek Jeter. The Ryans are the complete opposite of that and they haven't won a thing.

I think it is pretty easy to see they upgrade at coach with a guy who has a much different personality.

Some people will like his personality. But his coaching results don't back up his bravado.

I believe that part of the talk is that they are responding to the negativity and the questions that are posed to them. They feel compelled to defend themselves. I have no problem with that.

I love Derek Jeter. On the other hand, guys like Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith were never shy about letting everyone know just how good they thought they were.

I met Jim Kelly when he first started playing with the Bills. Let me say this: He is a much nicer guy now than he was then. That is to his credit.

As an aside, whenever I have heard/read Rex or Rob speak about Bill Belichick for example, they always go out of their way to say what a great coach he is. I have read many Pats fans making this observation on their message boards as well how much they respect Rex and that they do not perceive that Rex makes excuses when his team loses.

As for Bowles v Rex, all I know is that Rex's team beat them twice . . . and in the second game, the Jets had EVERYTHING to play for.

rex is referring to whoever he can set up as the scapegoat. it is going to be a self fulfilling prophecy that where there is an issue he can convince himself that when he failed it was because someone else did not support him. it is a thinking error that counseling helps develop and correct.

he needs counseling.

Ding ding ding. He needs counseling and he hired his brother who is an enabler's enabler.

I love how Rob says they're going to beat Belichick because it's "two against one" LOL. Reminds my of those clips from the 70's where Andre The Giant manhandles two other wrestlers in a "handicap" match. Good luck with that boys.

That quote stuck out to me as well. Belichick must read this stuff and laugh himself to sleep every night.