Thoughts on Why Bills Should Extend Gilmore NOW.

I'm pretty sure they extended him because he wasn't going to come unless he got a new deal.

100% He had less than a million guaranteed left on his existing deal. I know it's a common theory around here that the Bills could have forced him to play out his deal after the trade -- but that would have ensured a disgruntled McCoy, had he bothered to report at all.

The new deal not only showed good faith, it helped soothe the ego of a guy who just got blindsided by his "hometown" team.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've said this in 43,432 other threads. What about Gilmore aka (the topic) ?

If Janoris Jenkins who sucks got paid then Gilmore pretty much has an open checkbook. Pay him now.

I agree that the Bills should re-sign and pay Gilmore like a top line player, because he is one. The OP implied that Gilmore might not sign because some other players rebelled against genius Rex. I found that less than realistic. Gilmore, like many of Whaley's picks, has performed at or above expectations and I would love to see him retained.

OMG

Yes lets cherry pick those stats

How is the winning team determined at the end of an NFL game?

I agree that the Bills should re-sign and pay Gilmore like a top line player, because he is one. The OP implied that Gilmore might not sign because some other players rebelled against genius Rex. I found that less than realistic. Gilmore, like many of Whaley's picks, has performed at or above expectations and I would love to see him retained.

How is the winning team determined at the end of an NFL game?

If you choose to be such a simpleton as to go by JUST that stat....I really dont know what to tell you.

I could say the same thing to Goodell who goes by JUST that stat when determining wins and losses.

No he doesn't. He goes by which team scored more in each game - not your yearly ranking of points allowed.

Edited by Triple Threat

I agree we should extend Gilmore now, but not with the OP's sentiment that players view Buffalo as a team/place with a bad reputation. Not anymore at least.

I could say the same thing to Goodell who goes by JUST that stat when determining wins and losses.

Despite the defense's poor performance compared to 2014, the points allowed per game were actually very good throughout the season. You have Patriots 1 and the Bengals which really skew the totals, but Rex made corrections that halved the Patriots points in game 2.

Your argument about points per game allowed fails in that regard because more often than not, the Rex Ryan defense held teams to low amounts of points. (or above league average.)

7 games - 17 or less points allowed (Seahawks who were #1 in the league averaged 17 points allowed per game)

4 games - 18-24 points allowed (23.4 League Average points allowed per game)

1 game - 25-33 points allowed

4 games - 34-40 points allowed (Patriots, Bengals, Jaguars, Redskins)

Edited by What a Tuel

Good point Rquinn. But the fans belief of the Bills' reputation is different than the players viewpoint. From their viewpoint, the last few guys were paid well and all taken care of. Hughes actually took a hometown discount, he could have got more on the open market. Dareus and Glenn were taken care of. Gilmore is probably only looking at that, not the old regime, or even the recent perceived bumbling of the new one. Most of these players like Buffalo and their teammates.

though he isn't in the category the op focuses on, incognito took less than what he could've got elsewhere as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg Rosenthal of NFL.com is predicting Gilmore finally makes the Pro Bowl this year.

6. Stephon Gilmore, Buffalo Bills cornerback: Ronald Darby, Gilmore's tag-team partner, is also a good candidate for his first Pro Bowl after finishing second in the Defensive Rookie of the Year voting. Still, it seems wrong for Darby to make it before his veteran teammate who also plays a physical style.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000666098/article/nine-players-that-could-make-their-pro-bowl-debuts

Edited by hondo in seattle

I am very confident that the Bills will get a long term extension done with Gilmore before the season starts. I'm not the least bit concerned about it.

Gilmore is a very good player and will be paid as such. My guess is that he gets a deal just shy of what Norman got on a Per year basis but he might get an extra year. I'm thinking 6yrs at a little more than $14m per year.

This is one of the accounts (Bills Fanatics) that picked up on specifics of Lawson surgery before it was announced fwiw

@BF_insiders

More and more a reality that 24 isn't the Bills biggest priority.

Dare I ask what the Lawson section refers to? As in did they know more/earlier than what was getting out around the gossip channels (and here)

Dare I ask what the Lawson section refers to? As in did they know more/earlier than what was getting out around the gossip channels (and here)

as I recall, they tweeted that he tweaked his shoulder during a drill. It was after it was posted on here that he would be miss time, but before it was reported.

Scrolling through that account's TL, they've been adamant since late May that the Bills want to sign TT more than Gilmore right now.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the Josh Norman deal handed out by the Redskins really screwed up things between the Bills and Gilmore. I think the sweet spot for a Gilmore deal was $12.5M-$13.5M per year. With Norman getting $15M per year and a massive amount of his contract guaranteed (he gets $36.5M in the first 2 years of the deal.....INSANITY!), I suspect Gilmore and his agent are probably asking for the moon.

I don't think Gilmore is worth the moon, BTW. He's a nice player and one you want on your team, but the Bills have the leverage in this situation. Let him play out this year under his cap hit of $11.08M. You can always use the franchise tag on him next season which will be around $14M. Worst case scenario we have him for the next 2 years at roughly $25M. Sounds good to me.

The Bills would be smart to control the asset, that is Gilmore, for the next 2 seasons at $25M. No reason for a big extension now, who knows in 2 years maybe you decide to extend Darby and have another solid CB on the come up and you can let Gilmore walk......and fetch a 3rd round compensatory pick in the process by letting him walk.

Don't forget Gilmore has missed 11 games the past 3 seasons. I wouldn't call him injury prone, but consistently missing a handful of games each season the past 3 years would make me even more hesitant to shell out top dollar right now. Just doesn't make good business sense on the Bills part.

I think the Josh Norman deal handed out by the Redskins really screwed up things between the Bills and Gilmore. I think the sweet spot for a Gilmore deal was $12.5M-$13.5M per year. With Norman getting $15M per year and a massive amount of his contract guaranteed (he gets $36.5M in the first 2 years of the deal.....INSANITY!), I suspect Gilmore and his agent are probably asking for the moon.

I don't think Gilmore is worth the moon, BTW. He's a nice player and one you want on your team, but the Bills have the leverage in this situation. Let him play out this year under his cap hit of $11.08M. You can always use the franchise tag on him next season which will be around $14M. Worst case scenario we have him for the next 2 years at roughly $25M. Sounds good to me.

The Bills would be smart to control the asset, that is Gilmore, for the next 2 seasons at $25M. No reason for a big extension now, who knows in 2 years maybe you decide to extend Darby and have another solid CB on the come up and you can let Gilmore walk......and fetch a 3rd round compensatory pick in the process by letting him walk.

Don't forget Gilmore has missed 11 games the past 3 seasons. I wouldn't call him injury prone, but consistently missing a handful of games each season the past 3 years would make me even more hesitant to shell out top dollar right now. Just doesn't make good business sense on the Bills part.

This is a reasonable approach given the cost of contracts for top DB's, but the fly in that ointment is Taylor. If Taylor is not signed this year, you will want that franchise tag for him, assuming he performs. I am not sure they have the bucks to resign Taylor now, unless that can get Gilmore's cap number down some via extension.