Bills' 2016 Organized Team Activities - Week 3

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown's last post on bb.com is from June 1, and no mention of Henderson being at OBD.

but what about EJ? I hear he sucked but we're not supposed to talk about it because everyone knows he sucks so he shouldn't have his nose rubbed in "it" every day. How do you feel about this because it really hasn't been discussed enough.

Chris Brown's last post on bb.com is from June 1, and no mention of Henderson being at OBD.

He wasn't supposed to be at OBD until Thursday after his medical check on Wednesday in Minnesota. Nothing from the team or any other source on whether he made it or not.

This is laughable. A backup QB making a few errant throws in a practice in shorts is "news?" And only losers feel compelled to dwell on the past.

Aside from five really terrible minutes of football, EJ did OK in his backup role last season. The Bills as a team played poorly in the 2nd half vs. Cinci, and in reality they should have pulled out the W in London.

Tell me, in how many other markets in which the starting QB is established do you think reporters tweet commentary on how the backup looked in OTA practice? The only one is probably Boston, because they're worried Janeane Garafolo might have to actually play the first four games.

This particular backup was a number one pick. The fact that he's still around after giving this team nothing over the years (he wasn't okay last year) is newsworthy.

This particular backup was a number one pick. The fact that he's still around after giving this team nothing over the years (he wasn't okay last year) is newsworthy.

Yep. If TT gets hurt this year and the Bills miss the playoffs thanks to the disaster of the backup QB, all fingers of blame need to point to DW for not correcting his mistake, and the press is just lining everything up now in the event that scenario plays out. Edited by Rico

Ahhh.. you mean first round pick. Big difference.

Yep. If TT gets hurt this year and the Bills miss the playoffs thanks to the backup QB, all fingers of blame need to point to DW for not correcting his mistake, and the press is just lining everything up now in the event that scenario plays out.

How would you suggest he correct his mistake? Trade? Cut? Hes gone after this year so I think itll be ok

Ahhh.. you mean first round pick. Big difference.

How would you suggest he correct his mistake? Trade? Cut? Hes gone after this year so I think itll be ok

I think he should've been cut after London during the bye week. If that happened to the Pats, BB might not have let him get on the plane home.

Right now? I would cut him today. Plenty of time between now and Week 1 to find a care-taker QB who hasn't shown any similar signs of major meltdowns. You want a name? I would trust Josh Johnson before I would trust EJ to start a game. I'd rather take a chance on the unknown rather than dealing with a proven failure. I don't think I want DW involved in picking the replacement though, let Roman give him a list of candidates to bring in and then make the final decision.

I think he should've been cut after London during the bye week. If that happened to the Pats, BB might not have let him get on the plane home.

Right now? I would cut him today. Plenty of time between now and Week 1 to find a care-taker QB who hasn't shown any similar signs of major meltdowns. You want a name? I would trust Josh Johnson before I would trust EJ to start a game. I'd rather take a chance on the unknown rather than dealing with a proven failure. I don't think I want DW involved in picking the replacement though, let Roman give him a list of candidates to bring in and then make the final decision.

Fair enough. Thanks for throwing out a name. I'm willing to let EJ run the course of his contract. I do have worries if he has to come into a game, but I think most NFL teams also have this problem. Thanks again.

Yep. If TT gets hurt this year and the Bills miss the playoffs thanks to the disaster of the backup QB, all fingers of blame need to point to DW for not correcting his mistake, and the press is just lining everything up now in the event that scenario plays out.

Ask any coach or GM about the backup QB and they'll tell you the same thing -- all you're hoping for is that your team can go .500 with the backup until the starter is back. I concede, EJ didn't do that last year (he was 0-2), but Whaley is not incorrect when he says EJ is about as good as it gets for a backup.

This is laughable. A backup QB making a few errant throws in a practice in shorts is "news?" And only losers feel compelled to dwell on the past.

Aside from five really terrible minutes of football, EJ did OK in his backup role last season. The Bills as a team played poorly in the 2nd half vs. Cinci, and in reality they should have pulled out the W in London.

Tell me, in how many other markets in which the starting QB is established do you think reporters tweet commentary on how the backup looked in OTA practice? The only one is probably Boston, because they're worried Janeane Garafolo might have to actually play the first four games.

Back in the Jim Kelly days, I couldn't care less how Frank Reich looked in practice.

In fact, I didn't care much how Kelly looked. Practice is just practice. Timing might be off, skills might be rusty... that's why you practice.

Not really, he's around purely for financial reasons.

Ask any coach or GM about the backup QB and they'll tell you the same thing -- all you're hoping for is that your team can go .500 with the backup until the starter is back. I concede, EJ didn't do that last year (he was 0-2), but Whaley is not incorrect when he says EJ is about as good as it gets for a backup.

"as good as it gets"

I dont know about that......I think that if we stepped back and looked at EJ's stats and compared them to other back up QBs (and stop trying to force ourselves to look at him as a starter...he is not nor will he ever be at this point a starting caliber NFL quarterback)

He probably compares pretty well to BACKUP QBs in stats

I wouldn't have EJ as a top 20 backup in the league. USA Today did there list late last year and had him at 24. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/11/19/backup-quarterbacks-rankings-matt-hasselbeck-brock-osweiler-mark-sanchez-derek-anderson/76036812/

Some of these situations have changed but others like Cincinnati have improved. He is a really bad player.

I wouldn't have EJ as a top 20 backup in the league. USA Today did there list late last year and had him at 24. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/11/19/backup-quarterbacks-rankings-matt-hasselbeck-brock-osweiler-mark-sanchez-derek-anderson/76036812/

Some of these situations have changed but others like Cincinnati have improved. He is a really bad player.

Really hoping in year 2 that our rookie QB is ready to hold that clipboard and make a few throws

Really hoping in year 2 that our rookie QB is ready to hold that clipboard and make a few throws

It's possible but Cardale is really raw (and I like him). I heard at the rookie camp he was even "rawer" (if that's a word) than they even expected. He has the physical skills but is a long way from playing valuable snaps. They could have taken a Kevin Hogan type that has a high floor but a low ceiling. Instead they went high ceiling and low floor. I'm okay with it.

I would however be much more comfortable if they had Matt Moore, a McCown or Derek Anderson as their #2. A smart, reliable vet that can manage the games for a few weeks.

It's possible but Cardale is really raw (and I like him). I heard at the rookie camp he was even "rawer" (if that's a word) than they even expected. He has the physical skills but is a long way from playing valuable snaps. They could have taken a Kevin Hogan type that has a high floor but a low ceiling. Instead they went high ceiling and low floor. I'm okay with it.

I would however be much more comfortable if they had Matt Moore, a McCown or Derek Anderson as their #2. A smart, reliable vet that can manage the games for a few weeks.

I think they should def have a competition for the number 2 spot....but you cant keep a drafted QB on the bench forever (as a backup) or imo they wont progress.

I am in no way, shape, or form suggesting that C. Jones replace TT......I want to see TT under center for us for years to come.

I think they should def have a competition for the number 2 spot....but you cant keep a drafted QB on the bench forever (as a backup) or imo they wont progress.

I am in no way, shape, or form suggesting that C. Jones replace TT......I want to see TT under center for us for years to come.

I agree and do think TT is the guy. I wish that they had a vet backup instead of EJ. A guy that can help on the sidelines, in the film room and play in a pinch. Matt Hasselbeck is the ultimate.

"as good as it gets"

I dont know about that......I think that if we stepped back and looked at EJ's stats and compared them to other back up QBs (and stop trying to force ourselves to look at him as a starter...he is not nor will he ever be at this point a starting caliber NFL quarterback)

He probably compares pretty well to BACKUP QBs in stats

Umm, yes, that's the point...as good as it gets as a backup.

I disagree, but that's ok. To each his own.