Mowing the neighbors lawn update 5/25

mead107

They are a young couple that moved in last year. Mowed the lawn all last year. (I have a rider)

They raked leaves into piles in back yard this spring and have not picked up. I ran over the new hose that they left on the ground and cut it. Should I buy them a new one? This is a freebie.

I also mow the neighbors next door,they are 80 plus .

Edited by mead107

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are a young couple that moved in last year. Mowed the lawn all last year. (I have a rider)

They raked leaves into piles in back yard this spring and have not picked up. I ran over the new hose that they left on the ground and cut it. Should I buy them a new one? This is a freebie.

Not enough information provided, Is she hot?

Put a little sign on your lawn tractor that says "Mead's Lawn Service...$75/mowing". They will tell you to stop pretty soon.

You are a hell of a nice neighbor for doing this, but it is high time that they realize that with a home comes these types of chores and responsibilities. Sounds like they are better suited for condo or apartment living....

Kudos for helping your elderly neighbors!!!

Talk to them??? I borrowed a very long, heavy duty hose from my neighbor just last week to fill a pool. The sprayer nozzle was locked in place. After about 10 minutes of struggling, I worked out a deal. He cut the hose apart, I use and keep hose, I buy him new hose and sprayer to make it up. Done deal.

My advice, just talk to them... There's a high probability that they just don't know normal neighborly etiquette since they're young and naive. Maybe they'll pay for your blade, maybe not. Maybe they'll just say "i owe you" and make it up some other way (labor, trade, etc.) If they're jerks about it, lower the blade and ruin their lawn, or dump chemicals into the septic vent to screw with them.

After doing it for them all last year, they now expect you'll do it. It's time for them to buy their own mower and learn what being a homeowner is like.

I disagree. mead has trained them and their expectation is that the mowing will continue & they owe him nothing. The only solution is for mead to buy them a lawnmower & replace the hose that he destroyed.

I'd buy them a cheapo $20 or less hose from Value and explain to them that you don't want to have any future issues so you will not be cutting their lawn anymore in the future.

I really hope they didn't B word at you for mowing the hose up. Cause if they were nasty about it if tell them to F#K OFF.

1. Did you damage their rock with your blade? If so, you should replace it.

2. You led them on with a year of free mowing. It's only right that you continue to do it until they're in their 80s like the other neighbors. Fair is fair.

3. You're obviously irresponsible with the mower, having destroyed a rock last year and a hose (which you should absolutely replace) already this year. I suggest raising the blade if you can't handle the machine. You can operate a crane, but not a !@#$ing lawnmower??? Come on.

She walks around with those tight yoga pants

Well that changes EVERYthing!!!! ^_^

But seriously, if you don't want to do it anymore either for time or non-compensation mixed in with liability, I'd do what mrags said above. Only, I'd just go the hose-mender route because that's a cheaper fix.

Edited by UConn James

She walks around with those tight yoga pants

She probably tells her guy, "Could you please buy a lawn mower so I don't have to keep paying the creepy guy next door with cheap thrills. He gets distracted ogling me and already hit a rock and cut the hose".

She probably tells her guy, "Could you please buy a lawn mower so I don't have to keep paying the creepy guy next door with cheap thrills. He gets distracted ogling me and already hit a rock and cut the hose".

A much more plausible scenario is that the woman is going to get sick of her neighbor having to do tasks that her man should be handling. Mead will soon be getting a side of yoga pants with those brownies. Stay the course!

Did they ask you to? Then it's on them. If you did it on your own you owe them a hose.

Just an FYI, in some states mowing a neighbor's lawn gives you a right to claim their property. That's the case in NH. We had to ask our neighbor to stop mowing into our property for that reason.

Well that changes EVERYthing!!!! ^_^

But seriously, if you don't want to do it anymore either for time or non-compensation mixed in with liability, I'd do what mrags said above. Only, I'd just go the hose-mender route because that's a cheaper fix.

It looks as though the "hose mender" would require mead to decipher male and female parts....any other ideas?