The equally annoying "Obnoxiously Obtuse Optimists"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the biggest difference between the two, IMO, is that what Suggs lacked athletically he made up for with a really solid, consistent get-off.

Shaq, on the other hand, is a bit better athlete, and probably a bit stronger at the POA when 100% healthy, but he doesn't have the same initial jump. I think that's one of the reasons he'll play as a 2-point a bit more than he would in other schemes--it'll give him a bit more space to execute. He's also got a really nice, well-developed inside move that I don't see from a lot of college EDGE guys (though it's nowhere near the type of inside move JJ Watt had coming out of Wisconsin).

I do think they share the relentless trait as Simon mentioned.

That said, there are many ways to skin the cat as a pass rusher, as we've seen with the vast differences between the way guys like Hughes and Mario create their pressure. Assuming Shaq's shoulder comes through (which I do), I think he'll be a consistent factor in the pass rush moving forward.

Yeah his get-off is not good.........he was more often than not the LAST guy off the ball for Clemson.

That initial get-off is the foundation of a highly productive pass rusher.

Obviously you still gotta put a couple floors and a roof on it to be special.....Aaron Maybin could not get off the ground despite a quick first step......but becoming a great pass rusher with a slow get-off is a monumental task.

The effectiveness of pass rush technique is time sensitive.......not allowing the tackle to get set up before he has to start making decisions is very important.

Yeah his get-off is not good.........he was more often than not the LAST guy off the ball for Clemson.

That initial get-off is the foundation of a highly productive pass rusher.

Obviously you still gotta put a couple floors and a roof on it to be special.....Aaron Maybin could not get off the ground despite a quick first step......but becoming a great pass rusher with a slow get-off is a monumental task.

The effectiveness of pass rush technique is time sensitive.......not allowing the tackle to get set up before he has to start making decisions is very important.

I see a player that relies on his power more then his initial first step when rushing the passer.

It could also be the way Clemson is asking him to play.....he is setting the edge and making sure he also plays the run.....notice the way he lowers his shoulder to force things inside and gain leverage so as not to allow a runner to gain his outside edge.

I am not saying you are wrong that he will need to be faster off the snap in the NFL....just that he did not need to be to be good at the college level.

It was a waste of around 250 million dollars last season!! Because that entire D-line was forced to play in a scheme that didn't fit their talents. It's kinda why Dareus bitched about it since training camp and then later Mario went public with his dislike of how he was being used in Ryan's scheme. Mario didn't complain as much about the scheme as he disliked dropping into pass coverage so often. Talk about a colossal waste of talent! The Bills could have had four 330lb inept slugs on that D-line instead of such highly skilled pro bowl pass rushers and still done as well.

Think about running a version of Dick Lebeau's zone blitz with the players that Buffalo had at linebacker last year. What makes more sense, to rush with the front four or send a D-linemen into pass coverage so a LBer could rush? The 2015 Bills coaches were happy about Mario dropping into pass coverage and his disrupting the pass route so Manny Lawson could get the lone hit on Kellen Moore all game. Talk about a ridiculous waste of player talent.

The biggest difference between Mike Pettine in 2013 and Rex Ryan in 2014 that I noticed was that Pettine called a whole lot more blitzes and his blitzes were effective. Then the next biggest area of difference was that Ryan was determined to mostly run a run-stopping two-gap 3-4 scheme and although both men utilized multiple looks, fronts, schemes. Petting ran a lot of a one-gap 3-4 that was very similar to what Wade Phillips ran in Denver last year.

The other differences were that Ryan had Jerry Hughes at DE and Pettine had Alan Branch. Pettine also had Kiko Alonso at MLB with Moats and Manny Lawson. Then McKelvin, Gilmore, Williams and Byrd in the secondary.

Now think about that 2013 being #2 in sacks with 57 but also actually obtaining more sacks than Schwartz did in 2014 who had 54 sacks. That 2013 Bills defense did give up a bunch of rush yards for the season and were 10th in total defense. They were 28th against the run while being #4 against the pass and the #2 team in INT's. But while being 28th against the run that Bills D was 8th in giving up rushing TD's.

Considering the difference in defensive talent on both those teams I'd take that Pettine 2013 defense over last year's Ryan's defense. If nothing else that 2013 defense under Pettine was so darn exciting to watch and created so much havoc for opposing QB's. To me, Pettine did more with less talent and got the most out of the player talent on the roster.

Sure, Ryan could change things up for 2016 and start running more of a one-gap 4-3 scheme while calling more blitzes. Dareus could still be used as the nose tackle and still play the O tech while going full bore on one side of the center while the linebacker crashes the other in a one-gap scheme. He might even enjoy that a whole bunch more than playing in Ryan's two-gap in which he is to control the center and a draw double team from an OG. Yes, the latter would be a waste of a 100 million dollar pro bowl pass rusher.

If anyone thinks that Mario or Dareus were wrong to complain about last year's scheme. Stop and think about what Bruce Smith would have said or done had he been asked to not rush the passer, but to stay put over the OT, to control both the "B'' and "C" gaps he is responsible for...

7fd1ef2d24d04ac3a5446ce4bf9ae59a.jpg

Thank you for this wonderful post.

Good post.

I never bought into the whole "Mario is a cancer" Schtick.

Only because you're blind to the facts.

When an employee disagrees with what his boss has asked him to do, he has options:

1 -- realize he's being paid to do a job and do it to the best of his ability

2 -- go to the boss and express his dissatisfaction, and try to come to an agreement before going back to #1 (i.e., giving best effort)

3 -- act like a spoiled brat and give half-assed effort because he knows better

If you believe Mario did either #1 or #2, you're a fool.

When an employee disagrees with what his boss has asked him to do, he has options:

2 -- go to the boss and express his dissatisfaction, and try to come to an agreement before going back to #1 (i.e., giving best effort)

Pro sports players are not regular employees.

Cop out.

Perhaps. All I know is that it's a reality that professional players have much different relationship than a standard employee under their "boss." For example, Mario Williams has seen 3 regime changes alone since signing in Buffalo. 3 different bosses. He's the one making $100M. Not Gailey, or Marrone or Rex. He's the talent.

It's a reality that in the climate today, coaches are responsible in part for getting their players to buy in. It happens in the NBA to a much higher degree than the NFL, but it's common in the NFL. Ask Philbin. That team sucked on purpose to get him fired, or they didn't care enough to save him. Either way.

It's my opinion that Rex did not put forth enough effort into getting the players to buy in when he started. He was too cocky. I think he underestimated how players would feel and how reticent they would be to change things. One silver lining is that I think he's learned his lesson.

I don't agree with the ad hominen attack (there's no reason to call fellow Bills fans fools). But you are right with Mario's choices. And this is why his fellow players complained about Mario - he made the worst possible choice.

Rex talks in his MMQB article about other players who have played for him that did their non-glamorous assignments without complaint and it's a fair point.

I do believe that the coaching staff should find ways to bring out the best in each player. Rex and Dennis failed with Mario last year and deserve some of the blame. But that doesn't excuse Mario. His behavior was immature and not good for the team. He needed to be cut.

Perhaps. All I know is that it's a reality that professional players have much different relationship than a standard employee under their "boss." For example, Mario Williams has seen 3 regime changes alone since signing in Buffalo. 3 different bosses. He's the one making $100M. Not Gailey, or Marrone or Rex. He's the talent.

It's a reality that in the climate today, coaches are responsible in part for getting their players to buy in. It happens in the NBA to a much higher degree than the NFL, but it's common in the NFL. Ask Philbin. That team sucked on purpose to get him fired, or they didn't care enough to save him. Either way.

It's my opinion that Rex did not put forth enough effort into getting the players to buy in when he started. He was too cocky. I think he underestimated how players would feel and how reticent they would be to change things. One silver lining is that I think he's learned his lesson.

Actually, much as I dislike Ryan's first year (regressed D, too many penalties, late play calls, poor timeout management), I am with eball on this one. I loved Mario as a player and a person prior to last year but the former surely took a hit this past season. This is also not the first time this has happened and Houston fans had complained about a similar attitude issue (if the D is not to his preferences). You can try to fault Ryan's motivational skills, but there is no way for us to know that. Again, for all of Ryan's faults, motivational problems havent surfaced in the past so based on history also, I am apt to put more of the blame on MarioW than on Ryan.

Having said that, I still am extremely skeptical about the upcoming season because chronic issues with Ryan's coaching (as above), the lack of receiving threats on O, inattention to the right side of the OL are highly likely to doom the upcoming season.

I don't agree with the ad hominen attack (there's no reason to call fellow Bills fans fools). But you are right with Mario's choices. And this is why his fellow players complained about Mario - he made the worst possible choice.

Rex talks in his MMQB article about other players who have played for him that did their non-glamorous assignments without complaint and it's a fair point.

I do believe that the coaching staff should find ways to bring out the best in each player. Rex and Dennis failed with Mario last year and deserve some of the blame. But that doesn't excuse Mario. His behavior was immature and not good for the team. He needed to be cut.

I think Rex's other MMQ points surrounding this issue were well made. Specifically that players in his system have won DPOY's, been to Pro-Bowls, been named All-Pro's, etc. And at every level of the defense. So exactly what is it about Rex's defense that doesn't allow for individuals to excel?

Actually, much as I dislike Ryan's first year (regressed D, too many penalties, late play calls, poor timeout management), I am with eball on this one. I loved Mario as a player and a person prior to last year but the former surely took a hit this past season. This is also not the first time this has happened and Houston fans had complained about a similar attitude issue (if the D is not to his preferences). You can try to fault Ryan's motivational skills, but there is no way for us to know that. Again, for all of Ryan's faults, motivational problems havent surfaced in the past so based on history also, I am apt to put more of the blame on MarioW than on Ryan.

Having said that, I still am extremely skeptical about the upcoming season because chronic issues with Ryan's coaching (as above), the lack of receiving threats on O, inattention to the right side of the OL are highly likely to doom the upcoming season.

The players share blame, for sure. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But Mario was far from the only player grumbling or slacking. He was the worst of them and the ring leader.

It is very easy for me to see a personality like Rex thinking he could walk in and the men would be willing to die for him like certain members of the Jets. But without the 6 year history, that doesn't happen. But you're right, it's just a theory.

Edited by FireChan

The players share blame, for sure. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But Mario was far from the only player grumbling or slacking. He was the worst of them and the ring leader.

It is very easy for me to see a personality like Rex thinking he could walk in and the men would be willing to die for him like certain members of the Jets. But without the 6 year history, that doesn't happen. But you're right, it's just a theory.

It's human nature. I work for a global consumer company and we just hired a new CEO. Not everyone's on board with her way of doing things, people at the highest echelons of the company. Guess what? They probably won't make it through the year. And she'll probably bring in her Justin Leonhards and her Bart Scott's to replace them. It's not a Rex Ryan way of doing things.

To that point, the reason it worked for him in the past, with the Jets, was because he brought players with him. Bart Scott. Jim Leonard. It seems from the interviews on MMQB, he understands by not bringing in guys that have played for him before, some players won't buy into it. Like you say, silver lining, he seems to have learned that.

I think Rex's other MMQ points surrounding this issue were well made. Specifically that players in his system have won DPOY's, been to Pro-Bowls, been named All-Pro's, etc. And at every level of the defense. So exactly what is it about Rex's defense that doesn't allow for individuals to excel?

My question with Rex's scheme has never been is it capable of being great - the answer is obviously yes. It is whether it is capable of being great the way that more and more NFL offense are now playing with more spread option concepts and quick release offenses. I have my doubts but maybe with the personnel they selected this year they will prove that it can.

My question with Rex's scheme has never been is it capable of being great - the answer is obviously yes. It is whether it is capable of being great the way that more and more NFL offense are now playing with more spread option concepts and quick release offenses. I have my doubts but maybe with the personnel they selected this year they will prove that it can.

I've heard that Rex's scheme is weak against power football and weak against the spread. Can't possibly be both.

I've heard that Rex's scheme is weak against power football and weak against the spread. Can't possibly be both.

I think it's issue is against the spread and the quick release offenses. I don't have any doubt about its ability to stand up to teams who want to try and run it down your throat.

It comes down to communication, execution, and commitment in addition to talent. We'll see.

It's human nature. I work for a global consumer company and we just hired a new CEO. Not everyone's on board with her way of doing things, people at the highest echelons of the company. Guess what? They probably won't make it through the year. And she'll probably bring in her Justin Leonhards and her Bart Scott's to replace them. It's not a Rex Ryan way of doing things.

This is a good point....and probably why Schwartz was not retained.

Rex Ryan has his own way of doing things.....get with the program or the program is gonna get rid of you.

And it would not be the first time in history this has happened somewhere else...it happens all the time. The PROBLEM HERE is that fans have not seen playoffs in 15 years.....so patience is short (and justifiably so in my opinion)

Because I don't believe it's suddenly a scheme that's ineffectual against whatever an offense throws its way. Do you believe that?

Not really. I was mostly being flippant, but there is no logical reason why a scheme that struggles against the spread couldn't also suck against a power attack. Edited by mannc

Not really. I was mostly being flippant, but there is no logical reason why a scheme that struggles against the spread couldn't also suck against a power attack.

Respectfully disagree. You run the spread to counter defenses built to stop a power attack...

Whether or not defensive personnel is actually GOOD at stopping the power attack doesn't take away from the fact that the spread is intended to exploit them and NOT play in to their perceived strengths.

Not really. I was mostly being flippant, but there is no logical reason why a scheme that struggles against the spread couldn't also suck against a power attack.

It's been a flippant offseason. You have been awarded the password to the billsvet/scottlaw club.

Respectfully disagree. You run the spread to counter defenses built to stop a power attack...

Whether or not defensive personnel is actually GOOD at stopping the power attack doesn't take away from the fact that the spread is intended to exploit them and NOT play in to their perceived strengths.

So a couple of things here

- I really thought that the aquisition of Zach Brown was to help us with issues of spreading us out.....I think Ragland's short area cover skills are very underrated but if it came to a situation where teams where trying to turn it into a track meet.....we have the fast linebacker in the league.

- Our down line is pretty darn good....but we also have a lot of speed on this team. I feel like we can make adjustments and match up well against opposing defenses.

Thank you for this wonderful post.

You're very welcome Bill. I hope life is treating you well.

I was sorta hoping that someone would remember what Bruce Smith said and did against his first head coach in Hank Bullough. Bullough had been known to ride Bruce a bit to try and motivate him and Smith hated him for it.

In week 9 of the 1986 season against the Tampa Bay Bucs, it was said that Smith told the other players in the defensive huddle on the field " if anyone makes a tackle ...they answer to me!" Bullough was fired after that game and replaced by Marv Levy.

What so many Bills fans forget is before training camp that many Bills players were loving Rex Ryan and gloating about how the 2015 Bills defense could be the best ever.

"Asked about the defense’s goal for the season, Marcell Dareus answered, “Best ever. It’s so obtainable. All we have to do is continue to do what we want, and not what we can. If we do what we want, and do everything to head in that direction, why can’t we? Why can’t we?”

Dareus has bought into everything that Ryan is selling."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/bills-think-they-can-have-the-greatest-defense-ever/

That is until Dareus saw how he would be utilized in Ryan's scheme in training camp and he went very vocal to the public then. I can only imagine that if he had known what Ryan had planned for him he would have never resigned with the Bills. I can tell you he probably still isn't happy about playing the nose or even a DT in Ryan's scheme.

Bills fans say Oh, what about the second half of the season in which the defense looked better! I seem to recall how embarrassed I felt watching that Redskin game with Skins QB Kirk Cousins throwing for 319 yards, four TD passes with no INT's and looking like an elite QB. That's what happens when you can't generate a pass rush and can't get pressure on the QB. Those two losses to the 7-9 Eagles and 9-7 Redskins kept the Bills from a winning season and no shot at the playoffs.

The 2015 Buffalo Bills roster had enough talent to get into the playoffs. The Bills FO hired a head coach that had just gone 4-12 with his last team and was fired for it. I get the idea that the Bills FO thought they were hiring another defensive mind like Mike Pettine...only better because this man was Pettine's mentor and a defensive genius.

I was sorta hoping that someone would remember what Bruce Smith said and did against his first head coach in Hank Bullough. Bullough had been known to ride Bruce a bit to try and motivate him and Smith hated him for it.

In week 9 of the 1986 season against the Tampa Bay Bucs, it was said that Smith told the other players in the defensive huddle on the field " if anyone makes a tackle ...they answer to me!" Bullough was fired after that game and replaced by Marv Levy.

What so many Bills fans forget is before training camp that many Bills players were loving Rex Ryan and gloating about how the 2015 Bills defense could be the best ever.

"Asked about the defense’s goal for the season, Marcell Dareus answered, “Best ever. It’s so obtainable. All we have to do is continue to do what we want, and not what we can. If we do what we want, and do everything to head in that direction, why can’t we? Why can’t we?”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/bills-think-they-can-have-the-greatest-defense-ever/

That is until Dareus saw how he would be utilized in Ryan's scheme in training camp and he went very vocal to the public then. I can only imagine that if he had known what Ryan had planned for him he would have never resigned with the Bills. I can tell you he probably still isn't happy about playing the nose or even a DT in Ryan's scheme.

Rex Ryan's scheme is complex.....did it ever occur that maybe the team just needed time to get comfortable with it? There are people that keep acting like RR has never had good defenses before....when in fact he has had some VERY good defenses in the past. I think it is totally fair to reserve judgement till year 2 to see where this is at.

Bills fans say Oh, what about the second half of the season in which the defense looked better! I seem to recall how embarrassed I felt watching that Redskin game with Skins QB Kirk Cousins throwing for 319 yards, four TD passes with no INT's and looking like an elite QB. That's what happens when you can't generate a pass rush and can't get pressure on the QB. Those two losses to the 7-9 Eagles and 9-7 Redskins kept the Bills from a winning season and no shot at the playoffs.

Regarding the redskins.....I think that was more of matter of running into a very hot Cousins and redskins team at the time....you are not going to win every game in a season and sometimes you catch teams that are playing well and lose.....both the bengals and redskins games fall into that category (that is just my opinion)

The 2015 Buffalo Bills roster had enough talent to get into the playoffs. The Bills FO hired a head coach that had just gone 4-12 with his last team and was fired for it. I get the idea that the Bills FO thought they were hiring another defensive mind like Mike Pettine...only better because this man was Pettine's mentor and a defensive genius.

The rush to judgement after 1 year.....ONE YEAR. No patience at all

The highlights for the redskins are available on youtube for all to see. But yeah we will just chalk up 94's lack of effort as being told to just stand there and fake being blocked. The Redskin blocking him must've had a smile on his face all day - easiest assignment ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxC8klUIwDg

All in the first minute.

Edited by What a Tuel

I don't know.....Dareus in coverage? 21 sacks?

How can you keep on defending this?

"Asked about the defenses goal for the season, Marcell Dareus answered, Best ever. Its so obtainable. All we have to do is continue to do what we want, and not what we can. If we do what we want, and do everything to head in that direction, why cant we? Why cant we?

Rex Ryan's scheme is complex.....did it ever occur that maybe the team just needed time to get comfortable with it? There are people that keep acting like RR has never had good defenses before....when in fact he has had some VERY good defenses in the past. I think it is totally fair to reserve judgement till year 2 to see where this is at.

Regarding the redskins.....I think that was more of matter of running into a very hot Cousins and redskins team at the time....you are not going to win every game in a season and sometimes you catch teams that are playing well and lose.....both the bengals and redskins games fall into that category (that is just my opinion)

The rush to judgement after 1 year.....ONE YEAR. No patience at all

Bro, Rex wasn't hired for a defensive rebuild. Needing patience for him to figure it out is a failure in and of itself. Edited by FireChan

Bro, Rex wasn't hired for a defensive rebuild. Needing patience for him to figure it out is a failure in and of itself.

Look.....I am in agreement with that

but

Its done...the train has left the station.....I thought that RR's defense would be seamless to the players we had and it was not.....

Last year was last year.....its a new year. The D failed last year....RR didnt get it done LAST YEAR

time to stop acting like scorned ex girlfriends and look to what is about to happen.

Look.....I am in agreement with that

but

Its done...the train has left the station.....I thought that RR's defense would be seamless to the players we had and it was not.....

Last year was last year.....its a new year. The D failed last year....RR didnt get it done LAST YEAR

time to stop acting like scorned ex girlfriends and look to what is about to happen.

So even though he was a complete failure in year 1, expect success in year 2, because year 1 is in the past? Edited by FireChan

So even though he was a complete failure in year 1, expect success in year 2, because year 1 is in the past?

Well you definately should not immediately expect failure because last year was a failure?

By the way....last year was not a complete failure......were we dead last in the league? no we dropped 15 spots. it simply was not good enough

Why would you do that?

Edited by John from Hemet

I didn't split hairs. I just said Pettine had a top ten D in the last 4 years and Rex didn't. TBH, I didn't even know he was 11.

Because you get your rocks off on calling other posters out...

In 2012 Rex Ryan had the 8th ranked defense based on ypg (the stat you chose)

In 2014 Rex Ryan had the 6th ranked defense based on ypg

So twice in the last 4 years RR has not finished with a top 10 defense. As a HC not simply a DC like Pettine was. Pettine went #27 and #23 as a HC. In fact the 2 years that Rex didn't finish in the top 10 for ypg are the only 2 years in his HC career that he didn't finish top 10. Pettine finished with the number 10 defense once and for that you want to trumpet his abilities?

As to those who stated that Pettine didn't care about stopping the run, you appear to be correct. The Bills with their "top 10 defense" had the 28th ranked rush defense. Surely you remember all of the conversions on 3rd and long against that defense as well.

So even though he was a complete failure in year 1, expect success in year 2, because year 1 is in the past?

Facts are fun....

Belicheck first year in NE 5-11 second year 11-5 and SB champ.

Pete Carroll first two years in Sea 7-9 both years third year 11-5 in playoffs

Tony Dungy first year 6-10 in TB next year 10-6 in playoffs

Three SB winning coaches who took a year or two to get it right and that is without looking to hard. You don't have to expect success but to say it can't happen because it didn't last year is flat out wrong.

Here's more without looking to hard

Mike Zimmer first year in Minn 7-9 second year 11-5 and division champ

Mike McCarthy 8-8 to 13-3

Ron Rivera 6-10, 7-9 to 12-4

I think I've made my point...

So twice in the last 4 years RR has not finished with a top 10 defense. As a HC not simply a DC like Pettine was. Pettine went #27 and #23 as a HC. In fact the 2 years that Rex didn't finish in the top 10 for ypg are the only 2 years in his HC career that he didn't finish top 10. Pettine finished with the number 10 defense once and for that you want to trumpet his abilities?

As to those who stated that Pettine didn't care about stopping the run, you appear to be correct. The Bills with their "top 10 defense" had the 28th ranked rush defense. Surely you remember all of the conversions on 3rd and long against that defense as well.

Facts are fun....

Three SB winning coaches who took a year or two to get it right and that is without looking to hard. You don't have to expect success but to say it can't happen because it didn't last year is flat out wrong.

You indeed have

I like you....please post more

I'm not trumpeting anybody. I'd take the 2013 Pettine defense over the 2015 Ryan defense for the Bills no question. And I'm happy to debate that.

Anyway, I did miss Rex had #6 in 14. I just assumed they were terrible based on the points allowed. Mea culpa on that one.

The Peyton Manning QB defense?

Good thing I never said the bolded. I just think it's unlikely. Sure, some HoF coaches sucked and got better. The majority of coaches who suck continue to suck. That's a reality.