The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Ahh! A post title taken from a quote from the biggest loser in Presidential history. The only Vice President ever forced to resign as part of a plea deal to avoid prison time for bribery, tax evasion, fraud. Who would have become President if he had just not been such a criminal himself, since his Presidential partner was forced to resign to avoid criminal prosecution. A man considered the worst Vice President in history. A strange person to feel is quote worthy. But, considering both he and his crime mate also loudly and constantly blamed others for their negativity and not their own ineptitude and actions, it is rather an appropriate choice for the poster's topic.

Your point is excellent, however I would like to make a random point of clarification, if I may. Richard Nixon did not resign to avoid criminal prosecution. He resigned to avoid impeachment, which is different. Criminal prosecution was still very much on the table until President Ford pardoned him.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point is excellent, however I would like to make a random point of clarification, if I may. Richard Nixon did not resign to avoid criminal prosecution. He resigned to avoid impeachment, which is different. Criminal prosecution was still very much on the table until President Ford pardoned him.

The quote is from Spiro Agnew not Nixon.

Maybe he's a Bill fan and not a Bills' fan. Because what real Bills' fan would actually root for his team to fail?

Don't be ridiculous.

I EXPECT Ryan to lose. Therefore if he does (as I suspect he will) I want him fired. If he wins 10 or so games and we make the playoffs I would think that he deserves to stay.

NOWHERE did I say that I WANT the Bills to lose. I can't even bring myself to want this when games don't matter and losses would give us a better draft pick.

26, this team went down more than 60% in sacks. 360 lb. Marcel Dareus drops back in pass coverage. Our best player just broke his foot and our 1st round draft pick is already going under the knife.

If the above is a winning formula that sounds promising to you, let's agree to disagree and stay friends. Shall we? :)

Don't be ridiculous.

I EXPECT Ryan to lose. Therefore if he does (as I suspect he will) I want him fired. If he wins 10 or so games and we make the playoffs I would think that he deserves to stay.

NOWHERE did I say that I WANT the Bills to lose. I can't even bring myself to want this when games don't matter and losses would give us a better draft pick.

26, this team went down more than 60% in sacks. 360 lb. Marcel Dareus drops back in pass coverage. Our best player just broke his foot and our 1st round draft pick is already going under the knife.

If the above is a winning formula that sounds promising to you, let's agree to disagree and stay friends. Shall we? :)

We all know 2015 wasn't a good enough result of the Bills D, but I have moved on from last season and do not see it as a predictor for this season. But obviously only time will tell. We're good man. :beer:

Yes. I know.

The post referred to Nixon leaving office to avoid criminal prosecution. That is inaccurate. That's all I was saying.

Except Agnew also left office in disgrace. That's how we got Gerald Ford, who never ran for election as President or Vice President.

And just to be a jerk, the correct quote is "Nattering Nabobs of Negatism" not Negativity.

And to put in a comment that is pertinent to the true meaning of this thread, there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about the Bills' ability to get to the playoffs this season, but I also believe that such a statement could be made about every team in the league at this time of year.

Edited by Gray Beard

Except Agnew also left office in disgrace. That's how we got Gerald Ford, who never ran for election as President or Vice President.

And just to be a jerk, the correct quote is "Nattering Nabobs of Negatism" not Negativity.

And to put in a comment that is pertinent to the true meaning of this thread, there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about the Bills' ability to get to the playoffs this season, but I also believe that such a statement could be made about every team in the league at this time of year.

It's actually Nattering Nabobs of Negativism.

I'm not sure how this relates to my post but OK.

We all know 2015 wasn't a good enough result of the Bills D, but I have moved on from last season and do not see it as a predictor for this season. But obviously only time will tell. We're good man. :beer:

What do you see that makes you able to move on from last year? No changes on offense. Hopefully TT gets better with experience and Woods was crap because of health.

Defensively, we've lost more than we've gained. You can't say that we've definitely upgraded at any one position and Rex hasn't proven anything with this team.

I'm trying to keep out of this, but I just don't see what you are seeing

What it comes down to are two groups dealing with the disappointments of being Bills fan:

Some handle it in a rational but mostly unproductive manner.......by blaming the organization who ultimately is responsible for the wins and losses in a sport that is ALL ABOUT wins and losses.

It's mostly unproductive because there really is nothing we can do about it. It may feel better to talk about it but it's not our fault and we can't change it by caring.

Others, perhaps due to esteem issues, can't deal with their emotions rationally and instead displace their frustration by trying to find fault in other fans.......and in doing so they make themselves feel superior to other, invested fans of the team.....making them feel better about themselves.....easing or at least distracting them from their pain.

I jab you guys because the badgering of other disappointed fans is bad for conversation.....the reason I come here.......but I get it......you are vulnerable and you care a lot and are also disappointed.

But it's as simple as this:

The Bills routinely suck because relative to the owners and employees of other organizations they are generally less effective at their jobs.

It's not the fault of anyone outside of OBD.

It really is simple...

If you are negative and trash the team and all of its decisions one of two things happen. You are right and can proclaim how smart you are when the team does poorly or you are wrong and your team does well and you can celebrate the success. It is a win win for them.

I've seen this same kind of stupid bull**t post repeatedly. It's absolute garbage. Post something positive and it goes ignored by the Kool Aid Krew. Then post something negative and s**t like the above gets spewed by them. Every single time. It doesn't matter how positive you've been in other posts or how correct you've been in your negative ones, The Kool Aid Krew will be there to bash you. Believe it or not, there's some realists out here just trying to see things as they are. If we see something good, we say it's good. If we see something bad, we say it's bad. Then we change our views based on new information - and here's the tricky part - without contorting the facts into what we want to believe or fear. I look at it as Living In The Real World. You should try it sometime.

Well that's part of what a message board is for.

Lol. You are right though. A lot of this is very unproductive, but yes I care and I can't shake my fandom for this **** franchise unfortunately.

Am I a "fair weather fan" now that I called the franchise ****?

It's therapy to talk and laugh about it.

It's supposed to be a hobby not life and death.

But the illness wrt taking out that frustration on other fans.......I mean in that Shaq thread......the people attacking emoulds are exactly what I am talking about.

It makes them feel better to try to find fault with emoulds for breaking the news.......utter ridiculousness. :doh:

What I find very curious is that the narrative by certain crowds has been that Mario, injuries and the complication of the scheme was the reason for 2015's defensive failure. But suddenly, it's not that big of a deal that Mario's replacement is hurt, and missing time both in games and practicing in the complicated scheme.

I smell a repeat in our future. "Shaq with a full TC will figure it out next season."

From my POV, they were 8-8 in both years. That win against the Pats in week 17 of 2014 is tainted since they didn't try.

The Patriots not trying in week 17 were still better than the Cowboys 4th string Rex beat to pad his record last year. Works both ways.

As for us and the Jets I expect it to be neck and neck this year if they get Fitz ack though I think our team is built pretty well to beat them in head to heads.

If they don't get Fitz back and Geno starts they will finish 4th in the division without question.

Edited by GunnerBill