Sammy Watkins Has a Broken Foot; Ready for Camp?

For starters, that's what Ryan, Whaley, & Co. said about Shaq. Secondly, this is the same medical staff that swung and whiffed bigtime on Shaq's injury whereby the rest of the league's medical staffs had it right. They seem to have almost no credibility anymore.

One team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, flagged Shaq for a medical recheck. Every other team in the league cleared him.

Lastly, the thing about Sammy is that even if the foot heals the odds are better than 50/50 that it'll be something else this season or a re-injury of the same foot.

I put it more at 25.7592385832959235029358/ 74.24076141670408 :rolleyes:

(yes the math checks out) :nana:

That said if the foot heals correctly there is no reason to expect another injury.

Edited by section122

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, flagged Shaq for a medical recheck. Every other team in the league cleared him.

That said if the foot heals correctly there is no reason to expect another injury.

I believe it should be mentioned that the Bills medical staff did not "miss" or "whiffed" on anything. Vic Carrucci who has been widely critical of the Bills this past few weeks, has this to say about it.

Not aimed at you section122, but as for Sammy being 50/50 to be injured, he has missed 3 damn games. I am not sure if you guys play fantasy football, but it is rather eye opening how many of these star WR's and any players really, are constantly playing through nagging injuries. It's almost as if AJ Green wasn't dealing with a toe issue in 2014, or Dez Bryant didn't break his foot last year, or DeSean Jackson's hamstring injury, or Antonio Brown's concussion. But yep, porcelain Sammy. :rolleyes:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/29/bills-mailbag/

@TimtheCommish: How much do you think they knew about Shaq's injury? How does "off the bus day 1 starter" go to out for up to 1/2 season?

VC: I'm positive the Bills' medical staff was every bit as aware of Shaq Lawson's damaged shoulder as any of its counter parts in the NFL. And that includes the ones working for the teams that took him off of their draft boards. I'm positive Whaley and Ryan and the Pegulas were fully briefed that surgery was forthcoming either immediately after the draft or during or after his rookie season.

This was a case of making a pure value judgement that simply getting the player was more important than any risk associated with being without him for part of the season. I think the Bills were hoping against hope that Lawson would push through this year as best as possible, but at some point during rookie minicamp, he came to the realization that what he was able to do successfully in college just might not work as well in the NFL.

He saw the operation as being better for his chances of living up to lofty expectations. The Bills had no choice but to go along with his wishes.

Once Lawson fully recovers from the surgery and his operating with two healthy shoulders -- something he didn't have while establishing himself as one of the more dynamic edge rushers in college football -- Ryan believes he'll have a critical piece that was missing from his defense in 2015.

Now, if things go sideways, especially on defense, during the time Lawson is missing, there will justifiably be questions raised about the wisdom of the gamble. On the other hand, if he's able to play in the second half of the season and make a significant impact (or even show the promise of great things to come), the reaction will be different.

Edited by What a Tuel

Either way, it's not a good thing.

Here are some quotes of Sammy from TOS;

For starters, that's what Ryan, Whaley, & Co. said about Shaq. Secondly, this is the same medical staff that swung and whiffed bigtime on Shaq's injury whereby the rest of the league's medical staffs had it right. They seem to have almost no credibility anymore.

Watkins' own statements seem to contradict Ryan's. Also, a minor broken bone in the foot isn't the type of injury where as Watkins says, "you've got to be very careful." Sounds like a Jones Fracture after all if they have to be that careful.

Lastly, the thing about Sammy is that even if the foot heals the odds are better than 50/50 that it'll be something else this season or a re-injury of the same foot.

Either way, Watkins doesn't sound nearly as optimistic as Ryan does. Maybe Ryan should focus on Seantrel and pay him some love, he's capable of being very good at RT if they can ensure that he gets in there at 100%. Questionable whether that's possible, just sayin'.

Hairline fractures also heal quickly as long as you take weight off. If this were a hairline fracture, six weeks in a boot should have more than done the job.

So many hot takes here! Do you write all posts with the help of a Jump to Conclusions mat? :D:beer:

awesome!

why don't we just have a blimp crash into the stadium -NOW- to just end it all?

:lol:

As long as we resurrect Herbert Morrison for the play by play:

"It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing! Watch it, watch it! Get out of the way! Get this, Charlie! Get this, Charlie! It's fire—and it's crashing! It's crashing terrible! Oh, my, get out of the way, please! It's burning and bursting into flames, and the—and it's falling on the mooring-mast and all the folks agree that this is terrible, this is one of the worst catastrophes in the world. It's–it's–it's the flames... it's a terrific crash, ladies and gentlemen. It's smoke, and it's flames now ... and the frame is crashing to the ground, not quite to the mooring-mast. Oh, the humanity!"

"Honest, it's just laying there, a mass of smoking wreckage. Ah! And everybody can hardly breathe and talk, and the screaming. Lady, I–I'm sorry. Honest: I–I can hardly breathe. I–I'm going to step inside where I cannot see it. Charlie, that's terrible. Ah, ah—I can't. I, listen, folks, I–I'm gonna have to stop for a minute because I've lost my voice. This is the worst thing I've ever witnessed. Seventeen years without playoffs, soon to be 18?!?!?! OH, THE HUMANITY!!!"

{pause}

"Oh, and some blimp just crashed, too."

i honestly don't think Dunne did anything wrong. His article was balanced, but the problem was that various media outlets ran with just the "juicy" parts that painted Sammy in a bad light. That includes Rodak. I think Sammy kind of blamed Dunne initially and maybe realized later that he didn't leave out the parts about how he just wanted to win, etc and it wasn't about his numbers. It was PFT, Rodak, etc versions of the stories that did. But, he seems to not "trust" Dunne.

This is how the media "covering the Bills " got off track. Editing for effect when regurgitating the original story and quotes.

That is just poor effort .

Perhaps why the Bills to media pipeline has been dug up and rerouted.

Hoping Media can turn themselves around and create a good relationship. Its best for the Fans in the end.

11 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2016

Sammy Watkins, WR, Buffalo Bills

It's somewhat surprising that Watkins has never made a Pro Bowl. The former No. 4 overall pick hasn't been completely dominant in the NFL, but in two seasons, he's recorded more than 2,000 yards receiving and has 15 career touchdowns. Injuries likely prevented Watkins from making it last season, but if he can stay healthy, he'll be there this season. In just 13 games, he had 1,047 yards and nine touchdowns. He and Tyrod Taylor will build on their growing chemistry with another year together in Buffalo.

Thats a bit of a reach. Even for me !!

Sammy has played through all his injuries. and he has had plenty is his short time in the NFL. He was not ever ? listed as injured in College.

I do not think he has ever been fully healthy in the NFL.

Crazy to think about.

for one he has been amazing to overcome them, and he is just a great ball player period.

But he is injury prone.

You get no points because you didn't show your work. :)

I feel like the most important thing is to NOT RUSH BACK! Let it heal completely.

So many hot takes here! Do you write all posts with the help of a Jump to Conclusions mat? :D:beer:

Seems to me the ones jumping to conclusions are those that think that Sammy's going to be fine by the season opener and be injury-free all season. His two seasons here project to anything but that happening. Unfounded assumptions are the only things suggesting otherwise. The fact is that he's had immense difficulty with injuries either slowing him or keeping him out. I don't know why that would change this season, especially given that he's already off on the wrong foot. :lol:

I believe it should be mentioned that the Bills medical staff did not "miss" or "whiffed" on anything. Vic Carrucci who has been widely critical of the Bills this past few weeks, has this to say about it.

Not aimed at you section122, but as for Sammy being 50/50 to be injured, he has missed 3 damn games. I am not sure if you guys play fantasy football, but it is rather eye opening how many of these star WR's and any players really, are constantly playing through nagging injuries. It's almost as if AJ Green wasn't dealing with a toe issue in 2014, or Dez Bryant didn't break his foot last year, or DeSean Jackson's hamstring injury, or Antonio Brown's concussion. But yep, porcelain Sammy. :rolleyes:

Funny how the arguments change. I don't think anyone has ever said that Sammy sucks or anything. He's good. The questions are related to Whaley. Is Sammy so good that Whaley's decision to trade up for an additional 1st and 4th was worth it. The short answer is no, it wasn't. The only people that believe it was are a subset of Bills fans, almost noone anywhere ellse thinks it was. Numerous WRs in his own draft class with comparable or even worse QB situations have performed comparably, and many of those aren't even #1 or in some cases even #2 WRs on their teams, and almost none have had as many starts as Sammy.

That's the first thing. The second thing is that if he keeps getting injured and isn't 100%, then he's just not much use to us. Two-thirds of his first season and over half of last season nothing but excuses were made as to how he wasn't himself because he was hurt.

Now it's time for him to pull up his big-boy pants and show the world that he can make it through and contribute for all 16 games, and against some better teams too, not merely the mediocre and worse ones like he has.

Most people seem to think he's awesome and among the best few WRs in the league when there's no evidence for that. He hasn't finished among the top-20 WRs in either of his two seasons with WRs like Beckham, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, and Brandin Cooks all from his draft class finishing ahead of him last season.

In his rookie season the following WRs from his own draft class finished ahead of him; Beckham, Evans, and Benjamin.

There are a number of other WRs from his draft class that have come close to matching his two-season total but that simply have not had the starts that he's had and in most cases aren't even their team's #1 WRs but who have outplayed Sammy on a per-game basis. That's says nothing to justify the notion that Sammy's even close to having been worth what we gave up to get him. We could have had another starter to boot.

Others finishing ahead of him both seasons also aren't considered "elite" or even exceptional, so why should Sammy. What, just because his draft writeup said he was better than the rest, despite not proving it he is or something? Makes no sense. He's not playing like an elite WR right now.

In 29 games and starts, he has only 9 100-yard games. Of those 9 games, only two were against playoff teams and we lost both those games. In half of his games he hasn't even had 50 yards. That's hardly elite. If Sammy, and those demanding that he's elite, want him to truly be elite, then he's going to have to play like an elite WR, not just post five teaser games every season, disappear altogether from 7 more for whatever reasons, and post 2 more mediocre games while missing two games due to injury.

Edited by TaskersGhost

• 2 weeks later...

Watkins in Buffalo all summer to get healthy

Bills WR Sammy Watkins missed all of the spring practices due to a surgically repaired foot. Now in the rehab process Watkins’ plan is to remain in Buffalo all summer to stay close to the medical and athletic training staff to make sure he stays on track with everything so his foot is right come training camp and the preseason.

@ChrisTrapasso

My @BuffRumblings latest: Sammy Watkins' age & 1 way to quantify his impact on the #Bills O http://bit.ly/1sFePKW

Ck8pNu6WYAIDCZC.jpg

Great graphic. He seems to have a similar body type to Fitz. Perhaps Fitz can share some secrets on being more durable. Given the history of the Bills strength and training program it may be worthwhile to look elsewhere!

Great news. If he is ready for even 1/2 of camp and in shape, the benefit is that Woods and whomever the #3 WR is will be on the same page with TT. Could be a great offense this year.

Funny how the arguments change. I don't think anyone has ever said that Sammy sucks or anything. He's good. The questions are related to Whaley. Is Sammy so good that Whaley's decision to trade up for an additional 1st and 4th was worth it. The short answer is no, it wasn't. The only people that believe it was are a subset of Bills fans, almost noone anywhere ellse thinks it was. Numerous WRs in his own draft class with comparable or even worse QB situations have performed comparably, and many of those aren't even #1 or in some cases even #2 WRs on their teams, and almost none have had as many starts as Sammy.

That's the first thing. The second thing is that if he keeps getting injured and isn't 100%, then he's just not much use to us. Two-thirds of his first season and over half of last season nothing but excuses were made as to how he wasn't himself because he was hurt.

Now it's time for him to pull up his big-boy pants and show the world that he can make it through and contribute for all 16 games, and against some better teams too, not merely the mediocre and worse ones like he has.

Most people seem to think he's awesome and among the best few WRs in the league when there's no evidence for that. He hasn't finished among the top-20 WRs in either of his two seasons with WRs like Beckham, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, and Brandin Cooks all from his draft class finishing ahead of him last season.

In his rookie season the following WRs from his own draft class finished ahead of him; Beckham, Evans, and Benjamin.

There are a number of other WRs from his draft class that have come close to matching his two-season total but that simply have not had the starts that he's had and in most cases aren't even their team's #1 WRs but who have outplayed Sammy on a per-game basis. That's says nothing to justify the notion that Sammy's even close to having been worth what we gave up to get him. We could have had another starter to boot.

Others finishing ahead of him both seasons also aren't considered "elite" or even exceptional, so why should Sammy. What, just because his draft writeup said he was better than the rest, despite not proving it he is or something? Makes no sense. He's not playing like an elite WR right now.

In 29 games and starts, he has only 9 100-yard games. Of those 9 games, only two were against playoff teams and we lost both those games. In half of his games he hasn't even had 50 yards. That's hardly elite. If Sammy, and those demanding that he's elite, want him to truly be elite, then he's going to have to play like an elite WR, not just post five teaser games every season, disappear altogether from 7 more for whatever reasons, and post 2 more mediocre games while missing two games due to injury.

An elite talent doesn't necessarily produce elite stats. WR stats are a function of health, scheme, QB play, OL play, targets, other viable receiving options stretching the coverage, etc.

Talking about a different position, OJ wouldn't be considered elite his first three years in the NFL by your standard. He had the talent, but worked for a coach who misused him. Then Lou Saban came to town and for the next 5 years OJ looked like one of the greatest players to play the game.

A good gun is still a good gun when it's not being fired.

Edited by hondo in seattle