Sammy Watkins Has a Broken Foot; Ready for Camp?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So at first I was more concerned about this than the Lawson injury. Mostly because of my own personal experience with an acute Jones fracture and other examples of foot injuries lingering.

However, the notes about him playing through it in the season make me a lot more hopeful. I was completely hobbled with my fracture. I am not a professional athlete but these injuries can cause excruciating pain. Sammy is tough (played through this and the ribs his rookie year), but I am skeptical that he could have played the end of last year let alone excelled with a serious foot injury.

So at first I was more concerned about this than the Lawson injury. Mostly because of my own personal experience with an acute Jones fracture and other examples of foot injuries lingering.

However, the notes about him playing through it in the season make me a lot more hopeful. I was completely hobbled with my fracture. I am not a professional athlete but these injuries can cause excruciating pain. Sammy is tough (played through this and the ribs his rookie year), but I am skeptical that he could have played the end of last year let alone excelled with a serious foot injury.

If you think a Jones fracture is bad, just be glad it wasn't your Johnson.

I was just on the morning show with Ross Tucker who still love the Bills as he routinely says it was favorite team he played for over 8 years. He made some good comments that there is a reason why Lawson dropped on boards of so many teams. He basically said, he hurts his shoulder on day 1 of hitting the sled? How close was it all along a risk taking him at 19. His response to my comment on Watkins was "Dan, how excited are you for a guy who just had a screw put in your foot,many now has a long documented history of injuries in the NFL". He spoke to Jim Miller who is the afternoon announcer how he made it 13 years in the NFL, But had 13 surgeries on his joints offer the years. I told him I was trying to look up Watkins injury history at Clemson, but could only find one story of an injury. My point "was Whaley taking a chance on Watkins too, when drafting him so high"

I didn't take Ross's comments as a slam on Buffalo as he genuinely wants to see the Bills win, but states there is a reason why some teams win,mane others are perpetually in the situation of the Bills in just being average. He was basically inferring we shouldn't be taking chances on the medical.

I think good examples of the opposite for us is letting Byrd, and Spiller go, because I believe our medical saw both of these guys as a risk, and was able to get value for both of them. And look after they leave, have done nothing in New Orleans.

welp. more reps for the "other" guys.

so much for developing chemistry with TT. again.

Part of the game i suppose.

hope we can field 53 this year

With all the Board hoopla last year as we counted down the days to the final 53 before the opener, I thought I'd chronicle all the players added AFTER the opening kick-off vs. Indy, just to see what measure of meaninglessness (sp?) the 'Final Cutdown' held.

I lost count around 17 after week 14..

It would be nice if they brought some insurance in. Someone like Boldin.

They've got twelve friggin' wide receivers on the roster right now, and 47-year-old Anquan Boldin isn't going to "insure" anything.

Edited by eball

My gut says this is bad.

Sammy is precious porcelain.. They're underplaying it, foot injuries are notoriously finicky... and metal screws get cold in the winter.

I expect McCoy and Sammy to limit themselves all preseason, claiming tightness, injuries, etc... but this isn't that.

They aren't that bad honestly

With all the Board hoopla last year as we counted down the days to the final 53 before the opener, I thought I'd chronicle all the players added AFTER the opening kick-off vs. Indy, just to see what measure of meaninglessness (sp?) the 'Final Cutdown' held.

I lost count around 17 after week 14..

I thought last year was brutal.

How many key players started the season injured last year?

Clay Sammy Shady to name a few

They need to bring in insurance. Bolden had a decent year last year in SF. 70 Rec, almost 800 yards receiving, familiar with Roman. Not sure where Boldin stands on retirement, but if he is still interested in playing, why not?

I'd take Boldin, but still hope that Sammy can play this year. It helps that he had the surgery a month ago, but damn our luck isn't hitting on :censored: right now.

Edited by H2o

That's what I was afraid of.......... :censored: !!!!!!!!!!

I mentioned this and did some research about other notable Jones injuries that have occured to other high profile athletes. This injury is far more concerning than a shoulder procedure on a rookie. Sammy is the passing game. From the time table they gave us in which he had the screw put in it sounds like it was done before the draft. Makes me wonder why we didn't take a WR earlier who could have some impact. Woods is a FA next year and the Ferrari has a bad tire. They would be really foolish to bring Sammy back until he is 100 percent and even then there is risk of reinjury.

They still have time to make a move. I hope they do. It's similar to the EJ situation his rookie year when he went down. Don't make the same mistake again.

I wouldn't compare it to EJ. I'm just looking at the history of high profile WR's who had reoccurnces with this injury. Julio played a year after the surgery then broke it again and had to have some extensive procedure to promote healing. Dez and Edelman both came back from it last season only to go back and have the surgery again. All 3 of those guys are elite athletes as is Sammy. Hopefully the timing of his injury helps his long term situation, as I said earlier he had the same surgeon that Julio used so that also may be a plus.

Edited by Commonsense

Again, I'm skeptical that its a Jones fracture. I had difficulty putting any weight on my foot after the fracture (it was an acute fracture and not chronic), and I don't think he could've played on it if it was a Jones fracture. Also he played great down the stretch. It also seems unlikely that complications from the surgery cause the injury to be worse then fractures he PLAYED with last year.

Again, I'm skeptical that its a Jones fracture. I had difficulty putting any weight on my foot after the fracture (it was an acute fracture and not chronic), and I don't think he could've played on it if it was a Jones fracture. Also he played great down the stretch. It also seems unlikely that complications from the surgery cause the injury to be worse then fractures he PLAYED with last year.

Best circumstance- would be something like this http://m.jsonline.com/sports/blogs/320324901.html .