John Clayton: Bills "Regressed" in the Offseason

My one question for the Mario thing has been this - he wasn't all in, etc etc - played in meaningless games, etc etc. But he went 2% and Jerry went 150%...and they both got 5 sacks, leading the team. So were there other players not "all in" or am I missing something?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The flipside is that Mario didn't play well, Ragland is an upgrade over Bradham and the QB is growing in the 2nd year in the offense.

No one but he cbs played well In this defense. On paper, Ragland should be better but Bradham was a very so kind NFL starter in 2014. Ragland hasn't played a NFL down yet and there have been plenty of LBs that don't translate at the next level. As Bills fans, we want Taylor to take the next step but sometimes, teams get film on Qbs in the offseason and prey on the weakness.

I'm not a fan of Clayton but I don't know how you can be more optimistic this year than last year. Mario is the worst person ever now but he was a huge reason we won 9 games with a garbage offseason in 2014.

I'm over the Rex hype machine. Hopefully, the whole team shuts up and just proves it. But the good news is I'm normally the most optimistic poster for the last 10 years & this is the first year, I haven't talked myself into the playoffs. Hopefully I am as wrong about this year as I have been about the previous 10! :)

Last year yes at times he did his job and after which showed absolutely no effort to do anything else. The three years prior? Nah he was a beast.

Yeah, this Mario bashing is getting old. Dude was an animal pre to Rex. Our whole defense was and a ton of guys regressed besides Mario. We rallied to get to 8-8 by beating Kellen Moore and Fitz (who I like but a lot of people here think is crap). It was not a good year by any means.

But now that Rex got rid of that lack of talent from a defense that was #3 in NFL In 2014, everything should be fine. :). Honestly, I really, really want Rex to show he is a defensive genius this year. But it's really hard to be positive after last year.

I for one am really going to miss Mario playing well in the meaningless games and giving the old FU to the meaningful games. guys like that lead to more meaningless games.

I think it's very telling the lack of tears shed when he left both Houston and Buffalo. The guy is just not a good teammate.

I for one am really going to miss Mario playing well in the meaningless games and giving the old FU to the meaningful games. guys like that lead to more meaningless games.

You mean like the game where he and defense beat Aaron Rodgers without scoring a td?

Or are meaningful games just against Kellen Moore?

BillsVet is right. The national media has been generally negative about the Bills over the last number years and they have been generally correct. The Bills front office and players need to prove them wrong at some point (hopefully).

I hope that Lawson and Ragland are upgrades, but I am not sure it is realistic to count on them being upgrades in their rookie season, or that Washington will be a capable starter.

No one but he cbs played well In this defense. On paper, Ragland should be better but Bradham was a very so kind NFL starter in 2014. Ragland hasn't played a NFL down yet and there have been plenty of LBs that don't translate at the next level. As Bills fans, we want Taylor to take the next step but sometimes, teams get film on Qbs in the offseason and prey on the weakness.

I'm not a fan of Clayton but I don't know how you can be more optimistic this year than last year. Mario is the worst person ever now but he was a huge reason we won 9 games with a garbage offseason in 2014.

I'm over the Rex hype machine. Hopefully, the whole team shuts up and just proves it. But the good news is I'm normally the most optimistic poster for the last 10 years & this is the first year, I haven't talked myself into the playoffs. Hopefully I am as wrong about this year as I have been about the previous 10! :)

Yeah, this Mario bashing is getting old. Dude was an animal pre to Rex. Our whole defense was and a ton of guys regressed besides Mario. We rallied to get to 8-8 by beating Kellen Moore and Fitz (who I like but a lot of people here think is crap). It was not a good year by any means.

But now that Rex got rid of that lack of talent from a defense that was #3 in NFL In 2014, everything should be fine. :). Honestly, I really, really want Rex to show he is a defensive genius this year. But it's really hard to be positive after last year.

Umm, do you remember the QB situation heading into training camp last year? The offense is starting off light years ahead of where it was a year ago, and do we really think the defense will be worse than last year?

I don't get the pessimism, but that's just me I guess.

You mean like the game where he and defense beat Aaron Rodgers without scoring a td?

Or are meaningful games just against Kellen Moore?

Rex's scheme did us no favors last year but there is no defending Mario.

This is the perfect TBD thread - writer says Bills will regress based essentially on our losses and our need to depend on our draft class, which< BTW most experts gave a B+ / A for whatever that's worth.

Most folks rolls their eyes, but the usual suspects completely agree! I'm SHOCKED!

:beer:

Clayton is the worst "insider" on any network / site. He never offers any fresh insight on anything but just states the obvious. He seems to have little to no sources as well. I often feel that I could make any of his same reports from the top of my head.

Edited by Mark80

Not a huge fan of Clayton, but there isn't anything he's said which isn't true. The schedule will be tougher and they'll be starting at least 2 rookies in their defensive front 7. Not to mention, Tyrod and Roman won't have the luxury of being unknown entities.

That's not a recipe for a playoff team in most cases.

Roman has been in the league for a while now. How is he unknown?

Not saying he's correct, but everyone here was up in arms last year when the writers were saying EJ sucked and MC or TT would win the QB starting role. They also said the Bills would struggle and probably not make playoffs. Yet all these so called experts turned out to be experts and correct. Don't discount something just because you disagree. Open your mind and maybe you'll see something if you honestly reflect. Defensively, we got rid of an all pro, have injury concerns and didn't really address a huge need at safety. On offense, we added nobody, and lost a few marginal players. So yeah, we probably did regress, now it's on the coaches to teach these folks how to play.

I guess if we're talking about NFL production, then yes, they regressed via the parting of ways with Mario, Leo, Bradham, etc.

If you're talking about talent and potential production, then it's probably a wash, with the possibility that it'll be an upgrade...though I think that trying to project it forward at this point is pointless.

Not saying he's correct, but everyone here was up in arms last year when the writers were saying EJ sucked and MC or TT would win the QB starting role. They also said the Bills would struggle and probably not make playoffs. Yet all these so called experts turned out to be experts and correct. Don't discount something just because you disagree. Open your mind and maybe you'll see something if you honestly reflect. Defensively, we got rid of an all pro, have injury concerns and didn't really address a huge need at safety. On offense, we added nobody, and lost a few marginal players. So yeah, we probably did regress, now it's on the coaches to teach these folks how to play.

In totality maybe - we didn't make the playoffs.

But none of the experts expected the offense to improve nor the defense to collapse.

They were 'right' for the wrong reasons.