1. 1. Should OJ's #32 be unretired?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that just looking at OJ the football player he is one of the best ever. Maybe second only to Jim Brown.

However, not unlike Pete Rose the football player is also a person who has a life and impact beyond the field. I don't think his jersey should be officially retired. However, as a means to avoid controversy it should also not be assigned out until after OJ has passed on. To me this seems like a balanced approach to the issues.

Exactly Buf Bill. Why cause attn either way? Just let it go. The only person ever to run 2003 yards in 14 games. Everyone overlooks that point when they talk about the other 2000 yard rushers in that they did it in 16 games. I could be wrong, but I remember looking up once Dickerson and Peterson and neither had 2003 by the end of their 14 th game so basically he is #1 in rushing yards in a single season. Give him two extra games when everyone knows he's running and he can't run for 50+ yards a game to have the record.

The other stuff, of course. He's a murderer and criminal. It's really sad as he had a nice post football career in the movies, TV sports, and blew it all. He killed people, robbed, and just a terrible person in the end.

I wonder what Brendan Dassey thinks about this.

whats awesomely hilarious is a few weeks ago while on vacation in Punta Cana my wife and I were chatting with some people whole in the pool. They brought up they were from Manitowok and that it's widely know. That Avery was framed. No one in the town believes he did it.

Not that it's any breaking news after watching the show.

Just thought I'd bring it up from the perspective of the people in the town.

since his guilty verdict in the civil suit and current prison time for theft, the number should be used so as to get new memories of the number and forget about OJs regrettable past even though he was one of the best ever. He has lost the right to have his number "retired".

I should be clear, I don't think I was earlier that isn't the murder charge that I would cite when removing him from the Wall of Fame. I have worked in the justice system in the UK for a few years and I believe that whilst you can point to cases where wrong decisions were reached overall you have to uphold the rule of law and if a man is acquitted he is acquitted. However, for me the offences of armed robbery, kidnap and battery for which he was found guilty are of a sufficiently serious nature that the Bills should take that step of disassociation. I am not saying scrub out his records or remove him from team history..... I am just saying publically disassociate from what the name OJ Simpson has become - the name of a convicted criminal, guilty of serious offences. To do it now, in the light of the TV show about the murder trial is probably not great timing. I'd have done it a few years ago when he was convicted of the offences to which I have referred. That was the right time in my mind.

I stand by my earlier point on the number.... it isn't retired and shouldn't be... but equally don't place that burden and controversy on any player we now sign and just leave it unallocated.

Tim Graham presents a provocative point of view that the Bills should unretire #32. What say you?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/11/bills-shouldnt-shy-unretiring-no-32/

I'm in favor of it.

From the thread title I thought this was a stupid idea. Now that I see it's another Timmah Graham LAMP, it feels even more stupid.

Not to mention....OJ was acquitted. But I guess all that due process and civil rights stuff is only relevant if we don't have a high horse to sit on.

I should be clear, I don't think I was earlier that isn't the murder charge that I would cite when removing him from the Wall of Fame. I have worked in the justice system in the UK for a few years and I believe that whilst you can point to cases where wrong decisions were reached overall you have to uphold the rule of law and if a man is acquitted he is acquitted. However, for me the offences of armed robbery, kidnap and battery for which he was found guilty are of a sufficiently serious nature that the Bills should take that step of disassociation. I am not saying scrub out his records or remove him from team history..... I am just saying publically disassociate from what the name OJ Simpson has become - the name of a convicted criminal, guilty of serious offences. To do it now, in the light of the TV show about the murder trial is probably not great timing. I'd have done it a few years ago when he was convicted of the offences to which I have referred. That was the right time in my mind.

I stand by my earlier point on the number.... it isn't retired and shouldn't be... but equally don't place that burden and controversy on any player we now sign and just leave it unallocated.

Well stated. Unfortunately , it is these other charges and convictions that drive my perception.

You have answered my question haven't you then ?

I appreciate your choice of words here.

Sad story to have to reflect on.

It's not retired. IMO, it's ridiculous to try to pretend that OJ Simpson isn't one of the greatest Bills ever who is also one of the greats in NFL history.

SO....

MLB bans Pete Rose from HOF and basically anything and everything related to baseball because he gambled on baseball games, but OJ Simpson is still to be remembered as one of the all time greats even though he murdered his boo.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

SO....

MLB bans Pete Rose from HOF and basically anything and everything related to baseball because he gambled on baseball games, but OJ Simpson is to be enshrined as one of the all time greats even though he murdered his boo.

Makes sense to me.

Gambling is specifically prohibited in the rules of baseball and thus Pete Rose is permanently banned. OJ was already in the Pro Football HoF when the terrible crime was committed. But it seems as if you don't know that it's not the same scenario. It's apples and oranges. Try again!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Thanks. I hope more folks feel this way. I beleive Buffalo Bills have a been a class act over this matter btw.

Question., What if a rookie wanted to wear his college # and it happened to be 32.

How would you guys respond?

What if his name happened to be Simpson?

After reading all of this I can't decide what the best option is. It does make me smile that we can reach a consensus that Tim Graham sucks though.

What if his name happened to be Simpson?

After reading all of this I can't decide what the best option is. It does make me smile that we can reach a consensus that Tim Graham sucks though.

What if his name is Williams and he would like his college number?

unretire and put number 32 on the toilet paper at the stadium having his name on the wall, in the hall and the number retired is offensive. i firmly believe what he did off the field should impact his on-field accomplishments. we should erase any signs that he was ever here.

SO....

MLB bans Pete Rose from HOF and basically anything and everything related to baseball because he gambled on baseball games, but OJ Simpson is still to be remembered as one of the all time greats even though he murdered his boo.

Makes sense to me.

Technically , this is incorrect. MLB has no say in who is on the HOF ballot. This is strictly a move by the HOF, although I'm sure they take their cue from MLB. And 'remembering' someone isn't something you can make a proclamation against doing.