jim kelly salary today

Kelly's best years passing would be very good stat years in today's era, but also remember that back then WR's and QB's were not protected like they are now.

So many rules now favor the offense that I think it's safe to say his stats would be even better in today's game under today's rules.

I think he would get Peyton type money in his prime in today's game. $20+ million per season no problem.

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly was really really good at throwing the ball away. He avoided a ton of sacks but would still stay in the pocket and wait for the last possible second to find a receiver. So when I look at his comp % I think of some of the other QBs we've had who turn into turtles when the pocket starts to collapse.

I think there's a lot more to that than you're making it seem. I don't think it's necessarily the QB's that are so different; it's everything around them. Offenses are more complex and coaches are far more controlling of the play calls. If your coach tells you to call the play as they come in to you, that's what you do.

Jim played in a different era. If he played today, and came up through college programs that take almost all responsibility off the QBs, and into an NFL that puts a leash on them (not to mention has to learn a new offensive system every 1-2 years as coaches move on or get fired), I doubt he would be the same type of player.

Brady and Peyton got that point in today's game, so it's not like I'm saying it's impossible, but I don't think it's quite so cut and dry either.

I was only a kid at the time, so maybe I've got some rose colored glasses, but Kelly was the best at running the offense. He was a top tier QB like Brady and Peyton, but he was also better at running an offense than anyone else, Marino or Elway might have been better at throwing the ball but . . .

Great point. We all know about the running and receiving but go back and watch how many huge blocks he had on big plays. Probably the most underrated aspect of his game.

Not just in running game but blitz pickup; Thurman wasn;t taken off field on third and long to be replaced by WR - he would more likely be spelled earlier in downs to be there for blitz pickup and if all WRs were covered catch the ball and make the first down.

Jim Kelly signed a six year deal in 1990 worth 21,000,000 including the signing bonus

Today, that would be worth 38,400,000, or approximately 6.2 million per year.

Thurman made approximately 25 million between 1990 and 2000 - can't get exact without paying for spotrac premium. About 4 mil / year in today's dollars

Bruce - apx. 32 million between 1989 and 2000. 5 mil / year today

Andre - apx. 10 million between 1990 and 2000. 1.8 mil / year today

Again, can't get bonus and exact information on spotrac without a subscription but these numbers are pretty close.

It was a different era.

1994 was the first season with a salary cap. It was 34 million dollars. By 2000, it was 62 million.

the four HOFers would have had a combined salary around 12 million per year in 1994, or around 30% of the cap.

Jim himself would have been at 15% of the cap.

If we look at it as just the average, his $21 mil deal averaged 3.5 mil per year. During that contract was the first salary cap of $34.6 mil. So (on average) JK's salary was $10.1% of the salary cap. So if he played this year and was in the middle if his contract and he took up 10.1% of the cap, his salary (average, of course) would be $15.68 mil. Or put another way, he would have signed a 6 year, $94 million dollar contract in around 2012 - roughly.

The thing about Jim Kelly wasn't his stats. It was his will to win, to hang in the pocket and take a beating to get the ball out on time. So many second half comebacks.

That and he called all his own plays at the line of scrimmage. He was offensive coordinator and QB all in one. That's what made him great.

Jim Kelly signed a six year deal in 1990 worth 21,000,000 including the signing bonus

Thurman made approximately 25 million between 1990 and 2000 - can't get exact without paying for spotrac premium. About 4 mil / year in today's dollars

Again, can't get bonus and exact information on spotrac without a subscription but these numbers are pretty close.

It was a different era.

1994 was the first season with a salary cap. It was 34 million dollars. By 2000, it was 62 million.

the four HOFers would have had a combined salary around 12 million per year in 1994, or around 30% of the cap.

that is how it's done !

Fun post Harry !!

Gordio -

My numbers simply account for inflation, not the rising contracts. See my salary cap estimate for a representation of that

that was clear to me. And i really did get a kick out of your work !

Imagine 34 mil as the cap

The thing about Jim Kelly wasn't his stats. It was his will to win, to hang in the pocket and take a beating to get the ball out on time. So many second half comebacks.

That and he called all his own plays at the line of scrimmage. He was offensive coordinator and QB all in one. That's what made him great.

This is pretty good.

It was a different era.

Good work. Very interesting. Man its hard to swallow that a bum like Mario gets twice what Bruce got per season in real dollars, and HOF Jim Kelly made a third of what Osweiler will make next year in real dollars.

Great point. We all know about the running and receiving but go back and watch how many huge blocks he had on big plays. Probably the most underrated aspect of his game.

And breaking the leg of the Atlanta kicker!!!

And breaking the leg of the Atlanta kicker!!!

I believe it was actually an Atlanta DB that had just intercepted Kelly's pass. That play summed up Kelly's will to win and toughness, even late in his career. Can't imagine Brady making a hit like that after an INT .

Jim Kelly ran a Bills offense that led the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. During those years the Bills offense ranked 1, 2, 3, & 7. This happened during years before the NFL set rules to increase passing proliferation.

If anyone thinks Kelly wouldn't be in the 20+ million club...I don't know what to tell them.

Jim Kelly ran a Bills offense that led the Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. During those years the Bills offense ranked 1, 2, 3, & 7. This happened during years before the NFL set rules to increase passing proliferation.

If anyone thinks Kelly wouldn't be in the 20+ million club...I don't know what to tell them.

Definitely. His salary in '94 accounted for 15% of the cap. Today, 15% of the cap is around 24 million / year

Kelly burned defenses with the run just as much as with the pass, using his abilities to read the defense and situation. How many draws did Thurman break for 15+ yard gains on 3rd and long? His brain and savvy would increase his worth, Kelly would easily command a top 5 salary in the league today.