2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

The fumbling is the ONLY thing that I can think of. I would still fall back on the 5th round pick and $500k.

The point that I was making is that if any other team did that they would get killed. The Pats get a pass because of Brady and the machine. The decisions should be judged on their own merit. Someone was saying that they a step ahead and thinking outside of the box. Were they thinking outside of the box when they signed Chandler? Traded for Mingo? No, they were bad personnel decisions at the time and they failed. I don't think that this will fail because Gillislee is pretty good. It wasn't the best decision for what they needed and the cost. That was the point I was trying to make.

This sound like the worst Bills homerism, but I like MG on that team over AP. i think peterson is shot, and i think he's poor in enough areas to make him a very flawed player at this point in his career. I also think he's the best RB of his generation, but those days are in the past. He's also a scumbag, not that that these things factor in much (although I think they might with Kraft after the Hernandez thing).

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt that anyone is calling the Tampa 2 in the NFL with any kind of regularity anymore. It's been picked apart because of the Mike drop and how few players can execute it.

The Mike does need coverage ability and Reggie has that. He's not the most athletic guy in the world (especially in comparison to what the scheme has had) but let's not talk like he's Vontaze Burfict slow or anything. Reggie has the requisite football IQ to position himself well and he's shown the ability to marshall the shallow/intermediate MOF and the hook zones.

I think people are so used to seeing this role executed by a true superstar freak athlete that it raises expectations that 'mere mortals' like Reggie Ragland aren't capable of it.

Leslie Frazier was running the Tampa 2 in Minnesota and he used Erin Henderson at mike. Henderson ran a 4.73 at 244 lbs. Ragland similar athlete ran a 4.72 at 247 lbs.

Henderson and the Vikings D were all time bad. Finished last in the NFL in points allowed and 31st in yards allowed.

In both defenses the mike needs more range than your 1980's throwback linebacker.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2013.htm

This sound like the worst Bills homerism, but I like MG on that team over AP. i think peterson is shot, and i think he's poor in enough areas to make him a very flawed player at this point in his career. I also think he's the best RB of his generation, but those days are in the past. He's also a scumbag, not that that these things factor in much (although I think they might with Kraft after the Hernandez thing).

Do you think signing Chandler or trading for Kiki Mingo were good decisions? I ripped both at the time and was right. I believe this will work. I'm trying to be clear on that.

Peterson got hurt last year but had 1485 yards the year before. Blount is the back that they lost, Lewis, White AND Burkhead are the backs that will be catching the ball. His role was the Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon role with the Pats. That is the spot that they are trying to fill. Peterson, ironically, has been a better receiver than those guys. I don't know how anyone can reasonably say that they expect Gillislee to be more effective in that role than Peterson. Based on what?!? So you are getting a player that's less effective in that role for more money and a draft pick? If it is "Bills homerism" to think that Adrian Peterson is a better back than Gillislee, so be it. FWIW, I am not alone in this line of thinking. A lot of analysts have questioned it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Do you think signing Chandler or trading for Kiki Mingo were good decisions? I ripped both at the time and was right. I believe this will work. I'm trying to be clear on that.

Peterson got hurt last year but had 1485 yards the year before. Blount is the back that they lost, Lewis, White AND Burkhead are the backs that will be catching the ball. His role was the Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon role with the Pats. That is the spot that they are trying to fill. Peterson, ironically, has been a better receiver than those guys. I don't know how anyone can reasonably say that they expect Gillislee to be more effective in that role than Peterson. Based on what?!? So you are getting a player that's less effective in that role for more money and a draft pick? If it is "Bills homerism" to think that Adrian Peterson is a better back than Gillislee, so be it. FWIW, I am not alone in this line of thinking. A lot of analysts have questioned it.

32 years old with a ton of mileage and booted off the team that drafted him because presumably they thought he had nothing left. What's so hard to figure out here? Blount looked very slow late last year, and Antowain Smith looked pretty glacial in his final year in the league. Remember Anthony Thomas on the Bills? These guys don't get faster as they get older. They fall off a cliff fast.

Re the Pats personnel decisions, they make a ton of them every year - their model is based on a lot of turnover. However, overall they're very, very good at it despite the occasional dud (which happens to every team). Take away Brady, and they're still a 10 win team pretty much every year. They have more hits than misses than the average team, and if you want me to walk you through that, I'm happy to do it.

PS - I think you're wrong about what role he'll assume. The Pats don't focus on hard-and-fast roles for players; they focus on what they're good at and having plays that exploit their skills. MG is a different back than Blount, who - by the way - averaged 2.8 ypc in his final six games last year including the playoffs.

Edited by dave mcbride

32 years old with a ton of mileage and booted off the team that drafted him because presumably they thought he had nothing left. What's so hard to figure out here? Blount looked very slow late last year, and Antowain Smith looked pretty glacial in his final year in the league. Remember Anthony Thomas on the Bills? These guys don't get faster as they get older. They fall off a cliff fast.

Re the Pats personnel decisions, they make a ton of them every year - their model is based on a lot of turnover. However, overall they're very, very good at it despite the occasional dud (which happens to every team). Take away Brady, and they're still a 10 win team pretty much every year. They have more hits than misses than the average team, and if you want me to walk you through that, I'm happy to do it.

PS - I think you're wrong about what role he'll assume. The Pats don't focus on hard-and-fast roles for players; they focus on what they're good at and having plays that exploit their skills. MG is a different back than Blount, who - by the way - averaged 2.8 ypc in his final six games last year including the playoffs.

Presumably they didn't want an $18M cap hit on a RB. That is the one and only reason that he was released. Blount had 18 TDs last year!!!

I agree that most of the decisions that they make are right. I LOVE the Cooks move for them. He will have 1,500 yards this year IMO. He has the short area quickness to catch those bubble screens and the speed to get down the field. I think that he will be an absolute monster. I actually think Gillislee will be quite good for them. That doesn't change the fact that I think Peterson would have been even better.

As to the last part, the Pats have always had someone in that role. They added multiple pass catchers (Burkhead and Cooks) while only losing Bennett (at least I think). They added Dwayne Allen who is basically an extra tackle. That wasn't done to help the passing game.

On a side note this is the only place in the world where you can be called a homer for thinking that Adrian Peterson + $500K + a 5th round pick is greater value than Mike Gillislee.

Presumably they didn't want an $18M cap hit on a RB. That is the one and only reason that he was released. Blount had 18 TDs last year!!!

I agree that most of the decisions that they make are right. I LOVE the Cooks move for them. He will have 1,500 yards this year IMO. He has the short area quickness to catch those bubble screens and the speed to get down the field. I think that he will be an absolute monster. I actually think Gillislee will be quite good for them. That doesn't change the fact that I think Peterson would have been even better.

As to the last part, the Pats have always had someone in that role. They added multiple pass catchers (Burkhead and Cooks) while only losing Bennett (at least I think). They added Dwayne Allen who is basically an extra tackle. That wasn't done to help the passing game.

On a side note this is the only place in the world where you can be called a homer for thinking that Adrian Peterson + $500K + a 5th round pick is greater value than Mike Gillislee.

Re Blount, look at him near the end of the season (final half dozen games), where he was a shadow of what he was earlier. To repeat, he looked s-l-o-w. These guys--especially big guys (e.g., Eddie George)--age fast w/regard to speed. Re AP, he did nothing last year, is coming off of a serious injury, and is 32 years old. If he had run for 1400 yards last season at 4.5+ ypc, the Vikes would have figured out a way to keep him.

And don't assume away the fumbling issue - it's huge for Belichick. Gillislee has fumbled only once on 169 touches in his NFL career.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't know that McDermott actually does believe it. He stated he would start with Ragland and Preston Brown inside. That's not a ringing endorsement.

As to why Ragland can't play the mike in McDermott's Carolina scheme OR Frazier's Tampa 2, I am sure you are aware the mike linebacker in both needs to have tremendous range and be able to drop back in coverage.

I have discussed the linebackers on the team and was told the WLB in McDermott's Carolina scheme might be where Ragland ends up. He could play 2 downs where he just has certain zones to cover and come off the field on 3rd down and obvious passing situations.

Ragland will NOT be the starting Will. Mlb'ers are expected to stuff the run and give chase in McD's defense. He can,and will do a good job of that. If not,he moves to Sam and Brown starts at Mike. He's simply not cut out to reguraly cover at the Will... Edited by BuffAlone

Ragland will NOT be the starting Will. Mlb'ers are expected to stuff the run and give chase in McD's defense. He can,and will do a good job of that. If not,he moves to Sam and Brown starts at Mike. He's simply not cut out to reguraly cover at the Will...

Actually, the Mike in McDermott's scheme is responsible for a lot more than that.

It's a lot of sideline-to-sideline play against the run, yes, but it's also quite a lot of zone dropping and blitzing. I think Reggie is a possible fit, but I do worry about his ability to zone drop

*ducks oncoming fist from Blokes*

Actually, the Mike in McDermott's scheme is responsible for a lot more than that.

It's a lot of sideline-to-sideline play against the run, yes, but it's also quite a lot of zone dropping and blitzing. I think Reggie is a possible fit, but I do worry about his ability to zone drop

I'll judge Reggie when I get to watch him do it. I'm aware that he's been through a rough injury so he may not be the guy that was drafted.

If he's the guy he was, I think he'll be a decent starter.

Yes,alot of covering in passing downs. But not to the extent of the Will. Which is why i think he will handle the Mike on all 3 downs. Givw chase on 1st & 2nd down, and cover in 3rd. Idt thats too much for him to handle...at least, I hope not lol Edited by BuffAlone

@john_wawrow

On the #Bills draft front, informed team still finalizing its board.

@buffalobills

It's a #BillsDraft tradition. !@#$ Chris Brown's mock draft is back! Here's who he has us picking at 10: http://bufbills.co/bLnXez

C-WckPZVYAARAdO.jpg

Brown has the Bills selecting OJ Howard with Reddick as another option.

@john_wawrow

On the #Bills draft front, informed team still finalizing its board.

@buffalobills

It's a #BillsDraft tradition. !@#$ Chris Brown's mock draft is back! Here's who he has us picking at 10: http://bufbills.co/bLnXez

C-WckPZVYAARAdO.jpg

Brown has the Bills selecting OJ Howard with Reddick as another option.

OJ Howard at 10 should be a fireable offense, regardless of who made the pick.

And with the 10th overall pick the Buffalo Bills select OJ Howard, Alabama! The most complete, clean prospect in the draft and consensus top 10 talent.

"Fire that GM and hell, the coach too."

More like:

Goodell: With the 10th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, even though they have Charles Clay on their roster with a $9 million cap hit, the Buffalo Bills select...OJ Howard. Tight end, Alabama.

And with the 10th overall pick the Buffalo Bills select OJ Howard, Alabama! The most complete, clean prospect in the draft and consensus top 10 talent.

"Fire that GM and hell, the coach too."

I was just going to say the same thing. The Bills can't win in this draft. It doesn't matter whom they pick, half of the base will want Whaley fired. The irony is 95% of those people know very little about that player. They know bits and pieces of what the experts have said.

More like:

Goodell: With the 10th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, even though they have Charles Clay on their roster with a $9 million cap hit, the Buffalo Bills select...OJ Howard. Tight end, Alabama.

i can't even believe a team would play more than one, or think long-term, or select elite talent when they draft high instead of reach for need. Fire them both. Edited by YoloinOhio

I was just going to say the same thing. The Bills can't win in this draft. It doesn't matter whom they pick, half of the base will want Whaley fired. The irony is 95% of those people know very little about that player. They know bits and pieces of what the experts have said.

Does any place carry Whaley dartboards?

i can't even believe a team would play more than one, or think long-term, or select elite talent when they draft high instead of reach for need. Fire them both.

Ok. As I've said many, MANY times on this subject, if you have Howard and Clay on the roster, one of them will have to become a full-time blocker to help Mills in the passing game. So, who do you make the full-time blocking TE: the guy you're paying a huge salary to, or the 10th overall pick?

Ok. As I've said many, MANY times on this subject, if you have Howard and Clay on the roster, one of them will have to become a full-time blocker to help Mills in the passing game. So, who do you make the full-time blocking TE: the guy you're paying a huge salary to, or the 10th overall pick?

Not true at all if you deploy them correctly.

TV announcer: Tyrod Taylor in the shotgun. Bills going 4 wide with Watkins, Chris Godwin (just a hypothetical), Clay and Howard. Here's the snap. Taylor under pressure immediately and down he goes! Kony Ealey making it look easy, as he just flew by Jordan Mills for the sack on Taylor. It wasn't even close, folks.

has become my favorite for the Bills at 10 but of course that means he will be gone by then.

I like him a lot and he will be good for a new QB that we really need to draft at some point (not sure I'd trade up in RD1 for a QB this year, but I would try to hop back in rd1 for the pick of the litter if they fall).

i can't even believe a team would play more than one, or think long-term, or select elite talent when they draft high instead of reach for need. Fire them both.

Like Pats did with Hernandez & Gronk and tried to replicate this year with Bennett and Gronk? Special elite talent is what you should go after when you draft high...

I like him a lot and he will be good for a new QB that we really need to draft at some point (not sure I'd trade up in RD1 for a QB this year, but I would try to hop back in rd1 for the pick of the litter if they fall).

Like Pats did with Hernandez & Gronk and tried to replicate this year with Bennett and Gronk? Special elite talent is what you should go after when you draft high...

The Pats have Tom Brady and an offensive line that can pass block without having to ask one of their tight ends to help the right tackle. The Bills do not have either of those luxuries.

No kidding. What a ridiculous take. "You can't possibly play 2 tight ends who are both receiving treats, one must just be an extra offensive lineman!"

For those who have trouble thinking outside of the box, just think of Howard in a Gronk role (a more traditional inline TE) and Clay in a Hernandez role (playing some traditional TE, lining up a FB occasionally, slot some). I will never understand why people have such violent "This is the one way a NFL offense is supposed to look, it can only look this way" takes on personnel.

The Pats have Tom Brady and an offensive line that can pass block without having to ask one of their tight ends to help the right tackle. The Bills do not have either of those luxuries.

We easily have a more talented Oline than the Pats do, but they have a QB who knows where to get the ball to quickly and can blow ours away when it comes to reading defenses.

No kidding. What a ridiculous take. "You can't possibly play 2 tight ends who are both receiving treats, one must just be an extra offensive lineman!"

For those who have trouble thinking outside of the box, just think of Howard in a Gronk role (a more traditional inline TE) and Clay in a Hernandez role (playing some traditional TE, lining up a FB occasionally, slot some). I will never understand why people have such violent "This is the one way a NFL offense is supposed to look, it can only look this way" takes on personnel.

We easily have a more talented Oline than the Pats do, but they have a QB who knows where to get the ball to quickly and can blow ours away when it comes to reading defenses.

i283445314500808221._msw565h424_szw565h4

I think if you get Howard you can utilize Clay in more of an hback role as well

And split Howard out as well, or just go 2 TEs and smash the ball

I love the offense configurations we can have. Plus Clay's back seems to be a bit suspect and when his contract is up in 2 seasons he won't be back...

TV announcer: Tyrod Taylor in the shotgun. Bills going 4 wide with Watkins, Chris Godwin (just a hypothetical), Clay and Howard. Here's the snap. Taylor under pressure immediately and down he goes! Kony Ealey making it look easy, as he just flew by Jordan Mills for the sack on Taylor. It wasn't even close, folks.

Do you like anybody in the draft or are you just here to let everyone know how silly they are for the players we like?

Well when Brady takes a 2 step drop and the ball is immediately gone, I guess it does make the OL look a lot better than it is...

Do you like anybody in the draft or are you just here to let everyone know how silly they are for the players we like?

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg

And split Howard out as well, or just go 2 TEs and smash the ball

I love the offense configurations we can have. Plus Clay's back seems to be a bit suspect and when his contract is up in 2 seasons he won't be back...

or if his wife has another baby and he can't make it for the game :)

26CB has this up in the Trubisky thread...It's a decent read...

@TyDunne

What do the defensive coordinators who faced Mitchell Trubisky think? One sees a potential MVP. More on the QB here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tyler-dunne-bleacher-report/dc-on-mitchell-trubisky-he-can-be-a-super-bowl-winner-and-a-nfl-mvp/514035245652392/

@ChaseGoodbread

Mayock on Trubisky: "The irony is, he's played the least (among top QBs) but he'll probably be the first one ready to play."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.