2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

According to this Whaley is interested in OJ Howard? https://twitter.com/bf_insiders/status/825150980706680832

Apparently he had a huge week. 10 feels a little early to me but if he views him as an elite pass catcher I think I'd be okay with it. I prefer the 2 receivers and 2 safeties but Howard is a freakish talent.

I'll be pissed if we draft him at 10 a trade down would be ideal.

So, Deshaun Watson. Let's do this (for the 295th time).

Mental attributes - Plays his best when the pressure is on, dialled in to the scheme, knows his primary read but often works a little too hard to confirm it. Has supreme confidence in his arm, which carries pros and cons. Gets a little skittish in the pocket and has an instinct to bolt vs pressure instead of consistently finding his hot read. Confidence seems key to him, he's a force when everything starts off well.

Passing acumen - General accuracy is pretty good. His placement can be pretty shocking at times though. It's been the cause of a few interceptions. Has the velocity to make all the throws, doesn't have trouble with far-hash throws. Lacks true command of his velocity though. Between that and the placement, he asks far too much of his supporting cast far too often. Deep ball accuracy needs a missing persons report, nowhere to be found for large parts of the season, typically overthrowing pressing downfield. He's decent throwing on the move but needs to understand that contact with the floor is necessary for having a throwing base. The manic process still exists from 2015 (although less frequently).

As a runner - Savvy runner once he breaks to the 2nd level. Not really built for the way he was used (QB power with a 207-pound QB is asking for it). Mobility needs to be stressed in his pro scheme, similar to the Mariota transition.

2nd round grade for me. He can be a starting NFL QB but I'm not convinced he's going to be anything better than a middle of the pack starter. NFL comparison and likely career trajectory both point to Ryan Tannehill. His best is going to be good enough to win you games but his play will have the ability to fluctuate over the course of 16 games. His chancer nature will give the opposition a chance to stay in the game.

I compared him to TT and get grilled for it by others but that doesn't change my opinon. How do you compare TT to Watson?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compared him to TT and get grilled for it by others but that doesn't change my opinon. How do you compare TT to Watson?

I think Watson is more aggressive than Tyrod is. At times, Tyrod comes off that first read a little too early, Watson sticks with it. That's not always a bad thing, only when it doesn't come open and he still forces it.

In the 6 games I watched from Draft Breakdown last night, he threw 11 interceptions. I'd put primary or total responsibility for 9 of them on Watson. I think ditching Tyrod for Watson might get you more touchdowns and probably doubles your INT total, there's a trade off that I could personally live with.

Personnel wise, I think the receiving corp ideals stay fairly similar. Both QB's are going to need an emphasis on WR's with a large catch radius, players that create a margin for error. Watson is a guy that trusts his playmakers to make plays, whereas I think Tyrod doesn't really trust anyone but Sammy.

If Watson is the route that the staff wants to take, I'm not going to castigate them for it. I think he's a decent prospect. I just don't know how quickly he'll learn all the requisite footwork from working under center etc. Hard to imagine him as a Day 1 starter in Buffalo.

Ideal scenario - Watson pairs up with Hue Jackson. If they want to hand us a couple of mid-round picks to come up from 12 for him, I wouldn't say no :D

According to this Whaley is interested in OJ Howard? https://twitter.com/bf_insiders/status/825150980706680832

Apparently he had a huge week. 10 feels a little early to me but if he views him as an elite pass catcher I think I'd be okay with it. I prefer the 2 receivers and 2 safeties but Howard is a freakish talent.

Howard could be a great receiving weapon and is a decent blocker as well. I think that the Bills have bigger needs at WR, S, LB and CB, but It would be hard to complain if they took Howard.

I think Watson is more aggressive than Tyrod is. At times, Tyrod comes off that first read a little too early, Watson sticks with it. That's not always a bad thing, only when it doesn't come open and he still forces it.

In the 6 games I watched from Draft Breakdown last night, he threw 11 interceptions. I'd put primary or total responsibility for 9 of them on Watson. I think ditching Tyrod for Watson might get you more touchdowns and probably doubles your INT total, there's a trade off that I could personally live with.

Personnel wise, I think the receiving corp ideals stay fairly similar. Both QB's are going to need an emphasis on WR's with a large catch radius, players that create a margin for error. Watson is a guy that trusts his playmakers to make plays, whereas I think Tyrod doesn't really trust anyone but Sammy.

If Watson is the route that the staff wants to take, I'm not going to castigate them for it. I think he's a decent prospect. I just don't know how quickly he'll learn all the requisite footwork from working under center etc. Hard to imagine him as a Day 1 starter in Buffalo.

Ideal scenario - Watson pairs up with Hue Jackson. If they want to hand us a couple of mid-round picks to come up from 12 for him, I wouldn't say no :D

me either

Good article on Mahomes...

I think a lot of teams, even the ones with decent QB situations, will be looking hard at Mahomes hoping he drops to a reasonable point in the Draft... B-)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2017/1/30/14260584/2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report-patrick-mahomes-ii-the-double-edged-sword

Good article on Mahomes...

I think a lot of teams, even the ones with decent QB situations, will be looking hard at Mahomes hoping he drops to a reasonable point in the Draft... B-)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2017/1/30/14260584/2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report-patrick-mahomes-ii-the-double-edged-sword

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills trade down for additional picks and then select him. He has a strong arm, accurate passer,has touch and can make anticipatory throws. His mechanics are not tight but good coaching can straighten it out. If Trubisky is on the board when we pick and we pass on him I will be be very upset.

The wait until next year mentality has turned to wait until the next generation. Drafting a CB or S in the first round in this d-back rich year makes little sense to me. You can still fill a need in the second round and have on board a potential franchise qb.

I see Houston selecting Mahomes with their lower first round pick. I see the Bills again allowing other teams to seize on opportunities that we let go by.

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, some league evaluators believe UNC QB Mitch Trubisky will measure in closer to 6-foot-1 than 6-foot-3, the height at which he was listed at North Carolina.

Interesting. I went back to check his listing when I was evaluating his tape. He definitely looks smaller than 6ft3.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills trade down for additional picks and then select him. He has a strong arm, accurate passer,has touch and can make anticipatory throws. His mechanics are not tight but good coaching can straighten it out. If Trubisky is on the board when we pick and we pass on him I will be be very upset.

The wait until next year mentality has turned to wait until the next generation. Drafting a CB or S in the first round in this d-back rich year makes little sense to me. You can still fill a need in the second round and have on board a potential franchise qb.

I see Houston selecting Mahomes with their lower first round pick. I see the Bills again allowing other teams to seize on opportunities that we let go by.

John, just a quick comment/opinion about quarterbacks.....

Tyrod Taylor may or may not succeed. I want the Bills to keep him AND draft a 1st round qb, but I have been wrong before.

That said, qbs such as Tyrod are the future of the sport imo. Did you notice that Watson and a freshman Hurts played for the title? Colleges play 4 and 5 wr sets and go with RPOs. This is beyond dispute. Teams that stand by and wait to draft an old time drop back quarterback might have to wait decades for a good one.

The kid on USC looked GREAT, right? Well, he will go first barring injury. Then what?

In summary, qb will always be the most important position. Finding one will change sooner that later.

Again, jmo.

Tyrod Taylor may or may not succeed. I want the Bills to keep him AND draft a 1st round qb

All due respect, I just can't see the logic in spending almost $35 million under the cap, and $over $40 million in cash the next two seasons for a QB you want to replace...If there was no Cap I'd be all for it...But we're talking about a team with 20 something UFA's and only 6 Draft picks currently...Something has to give...

So if the Bills pick up the option I fully expect them to build the team around the QB...If they don't pick it up a high round QB can be expected... B-)

John, just a quick comment/opinion about quarterbacks.....

Tyrod Taylor may or may not succeed. I want the Bills to keep him AND draft a 1st round qb, but I have been wrong before.

That said, qbs such as Tyrod are the future of the sport imo. Did you notice that Watson and a freshman Hurts played for the title? Colleges play 4 and 5 wr sets and go with RPOs. This is beyond dispute. Teams that stand by and wait to draft an old time drop back quarterback might have to wait decades for a good one.

The kid on USC looked GREAT, right? Well, he will go first barring injury. Then what?

In summary, qb will always be the most important position. Finding one will change sooner that later.

Again, jmo.

Bill, I also want to keep TT. Having him as a bridge qb is a reason for selecting a qb this year because it allows you time to develop the prospect instead of force feeding a player as we did with EJ. If TT should surprise everyone and become a legitimate franchise qb then that is nothing to complain about, it is something to celebrate.

I don't accept the notion that you have to have a prototypical type of qb, or prototypical player for any position. You can be a good qb who works out of the pocket and you can be a good qb who plays a style such as TT does. Rodgers doesn't play a similar game to either Roethlisberg or Brady or Russell Wilson or Brees. Yet they are all premier qbs who excel on the field.

I just wish this troglodyte organization would demonstrate more urgency and emphasis on finding a qb. The problem I have with many posters on this board is that they have this attitude that if the qb prospect isn't an elite prospect who is a top of the draft caliber of qb then the best approach would be to wait until next year. If there is an elite prospect or two next year we will still be a middle of the pact team that isn't in position to make the golden acquisition (as you noted).

Odds are that this antiquated and unimaginative franchise is going to use a first round pick on a DB to replace Gilmore. How does that advance this team? It doesn't. My frustration level steadily rises as this organization repeats doing things that keeps them mired in the muck of mediocrity. It is exasperating!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.