What Kolby at WR does for the Bills right now

Very little actually in terms of his likely actual production. He likely at best is a diamond in the rough who will need some serious coaching in how to run both complex and even relatively simple routes before he is a legit pro at WR.

In fact he may never become a consistent legitimate threat to catch the ball a lot and stand-up to a full season of getting hit.

He can run the fly because of his world class speed. Even better he has demonstrated good hands which will differentiate him from past high speed guys who could out run the opposing CB but then had alligator arms and drop the pass..

However, what Kolby has right now and quite likely after a pre-season is that his play though likely easily defensed by an opponents fastest CB, if he plays it will be a boon for Watkins whose production is now demanding the fastest opposing CB and a double-team to neutralize him.

Opposing DCs will likely have to pick their poison and either cover Kolby one on one with their fastest CB thus leaving Watkins to face B talent or give Watkins the cover he deserves and plan on Kolby not simply outrunning the CB.

Add to this a three WR set which likely gives our #2 WR Williams a shot at getting covered likely one on one with Watkins getting the opponents best cover guy and Kolby getting their fastest CB.

I expect little production from a third day choice rookie WR, but I really like what getting a WR who is mutant fast and demonstrated at TCU good hands because in 3 WR sets h can do a lot to liberate Watkins and Williams to actually produce.

Add our RB cast (augmented with a rookie longshot who had 1st round talent before injury and is now cleared by our medical staff, but is still only #4 on our depth chart) which will demand 7 in the box and our O personnel looks foreboding to me even with the loss of Harvin and Hogan.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a 6th round draft pick so I doubt they anticipate him becoming an accomplished WR this year. I've long believed that the Bills wanted to add a WR who will open Sammy up for more targets, not take away targets. I think they prefer to throw the ball to Sammy more, not throw the ball to the 6th round draft pick. His speed has to be respected, meaning defenses have to commit certain resources to Listenbee that last year they had available to help with Watkins.

He will be a glorified decoy to stretch the field and open up the route tree for Watkins. Which is fine for a 6th rd pick. Houston spent a 1st and a 3rd on glorified decoys for Hopkins.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Who is the other WR you're referring to? Williams? Or did you mean Woods? Am I missing a new WR?

Yep, I was referring to Woods. You actually pointed out one problem on this team we are just beginning to solve : there are too many players named Williams. Right now on a roster approaching 80 inflated for training camp, there are 5 players named Williams. Is this a problem?

Nope.

However this is a real oddity.

Think about it,

When one thinks of common last names in this society, I am not sure of the true stats but Smith and Jones are examples of twp likely common last names.

However, thanks to the drafting of Cardale from OSU, there is now one Jones. Even odder there are no Smiths on this roster whatsoever.

In the face of this on a roughly 80 man roster there are 5 men named Williams.

The Bills under Rex have started to reduce this number at the cost of a lot of contract dead space by cutting its highest priced player, Mario.

However, when one looks at reality, my bet is that when the training camp smoke clears our pared down into the 50s (there is the Practice Squad issue for names on the roster) my bet is that Aaron, duke, Kyle, and Karlos all make this roster and that the loss of a Williams named Mario is going to be offset by the addition of draftee Johnathan to the roster.

Is this a big issue?

Nope.

However, it strikes me as being right up there in importance with the color of throwback jerseys and or other issues which routinely get their own threads (it actually strikes me as of smaller note than the Jills lawsuits or the import of the Shout song, but hey different people focus on different things.

Oh well, in a society where our President has Hussein as a middle name I guess having 5 of 50+ player named Williams is simply a statisticalk oddity and I will leave it to the many number hounds who are on the Wall to tell us how odd this fact is and how odd that there are so many more Williams than Smiths or Jones combines is?

Very little actually in terms of his likely actual production. He likely at best is a diamond in the rough who will need some serious coaching in how to run both complex and even relatively simple routes before he is a legit pro at WR.

In fact he may never become a consistent legitimate threat to catch the ball a lot and stand-up to a full season of getting hit.

He can run the fly because of his world class speed. Even better he has demonstrated good hands which will differentiate him from past high speed guys who could out run the opposing CB but then had alligator arms and drop the pass..

However, what Kolby has right now and quite likely after a pre-season is that his play though likely easily defensed by an opponents fastest CB, if he plays it will be a boon for Watkins whose production is now demanding the fastest opposing CB and a double-team to neutralize him.

Opposing DCs will likely have to pick their poison and either cover Kolby one on one with their fastest CB thus leaving Watkins to face B talent or give Watkins the cover he deserves and plan on Kolby not simply outrunning the CB.

Add to this a three WR set which likely gives our #2 WR Williams a shot at getting covered likely one on one with Watkins getting the opponents best cover guy and Kolby getting their fastest CB.

I expect little production from a third day choice rookie WR, but I really like what getting a WR who is mutant fast and demonstrated at TCU good hands because in 3 WR sets h can do a lot to liberate Watkins and Williams to actually produce.

Add our RB cast (augmented with a rookie longshot who had 1st round talent before injury and is now cleared by our medical staff, but is still only #4 on our depth chart) which will demand 7 in the box and our O personnel looks foreboding to me even with the loss of Harvin and Hogan.

You know...its interesting because one of the single biggest complains of our WR core was

- Goodwin thinks he is a track star not a football player

- Lack of speed past Sammy Watkins

- Percy providing these things but not committed

So the bills go out and get one of the fastest college (and now NFL) players and PEOPLE STILL DONT LIKE IT

He was drafted for a reason folks....give him a chance.

What I'd like to see out of Listenbee this year is a couple long fly routes early this year that causes defenses to account for him.

Get him on tape early beating defenses and use that to create positive matchups later on even if they shut him down because he's one dimensional.

The first thing he needs to do is learn to beat the jam at the line of scrimmage. If he does, they can line him up on opening day opposite Sammy and just have him go deep at first, and the work in more complex routes.

As long as Kolby stays healthy 30 receptions on the season will make a big difference in the coverage Sammy and the rest get. Especially if 15 of those is on long bombs.

You know...its interesting because one of the single biggest complains of our WR core was

So the bills go out and get one of the fastest college (and now NFL) players and PEOPLE STILL DONT LIKE IT

Cmon brah the slogan is fully pregnant. Get with the times you know pregnant people whine. It was a good pick. Im projecting Kolby as the WR3 or WR4 at worst, fully pregnant.

The first thing he needs to do is learn to beat the jam at the line of scrimmage. If he does, they can line him up on opening day opposite Sammy and just have him go deep at first, and the work in more complex routes.

I said this earlier, if you put Kolby n Watkins on one side and have one run a go and the other run a comeback route, someones gonna be open or have 1 man coverage to beat. Watkins beats 2 man coverage and Kolby can out run almost every CB they put on him. That mis-match alone will open up the offense this year more than last, not mentioning the routes the TE and other WR run on the other side of the O-line during that play. After Kolby gets on tape like king Rex said, burning defenses for a few TDs and Watkins is gonna have more room then he ever has. If Kolby stays healthy and able to catch a bomb once in a while, Watkins will stay open and it wont be a question of "if" we kill them with the deep ball but, "with who."

Edited by Marty McFly

Yup. Getting an NFL corner in your grill that screws up your release off the line is a whole lot different than some college punk trying to guard you.

I'd be surprised if he makes the team, considering we cut some very good receivers last year at camp and we already have 5 they'll likely keep if you count Easley. But the dude has attitude and is really cocky, so maybe he'll spunk his way onto the 53 man roster and beat the odds.

BTW John, that is how you use a 6th round pick......on a prototypical talent to develop........not on an undersized injury-worn LB like Tony Steward. :thumbsup:

Yup. Getting an NFL corner in your grill that screws up your release off the line is a whole lot different than some college punk trying to guard you.

I'd be surprised if he makes the team, considering we cut some very good receivers last year at camp and we already have 5 they'll likely keep if you count Easley. But the dude has attitude and is really cocky, so maybe he'll spunk his way onto the 53 man roster and beat the odds.

I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team. In fact I'd put good money on him making the roster. The only locks are Sammy, Woods, and Easley (and he's a ST'er_. Harvin and Hogan are gone. Goodwin is injury-prone and Listenbee fills his speed role. The rest are JAGs who can probably replace Hogan's production.

I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team. In fact I'd put good money on him making the roster. The only locks are Sammy, Woods, and Easley (and he's a ST'er_. Harvin and Hogan are gone. Goodwin is injury-prone and Listenbee fills his speed role. The rest are JAGs who can probably replace Hogan's production.

Goodwin is injury prone but he is also able to get off the LOS, get deep, heck the play he got hurt on he was coming across the field. That's the sad story with Goodwin, he can actually play, if he trained for the NFL and not the olympics maybe he would have avoided an injury or two. Listenbee can fly but he is going to have an uphill climb battling against our press corners in camp. Im going to guess some of the veterans that you consider JAGS show up to camp ready to compete. I don't think Hankerson and company are eligible for practice squads so it's do or die for them. Someone like Listenbee is more likely to go the Dez Lewis route and find his way on a PS.

It all sounds good and makes sense. Probably won't happen, though.

He can be a decoy, but he has to demonstrate that he can get off the line, run a good route, and catch the ball. Otherwise nobody will care.

That's the sad story with Goodwin, he can actually play, if he trained for the NFL and not the olympics maybe he would have avoided an injury or two.

actually, he can't play. He's borderline terrible. He shouldn't be on this roster or almost any roster in this league.

I also think the statement about training for the Olympics vs Football is bogus. The man has literally spent the last 3 years training for football. And he's proved he still sucks. This year he made it known he's taking one last shot at the Olympics (not absurd to think this is his last shot considering in 4 years he'll have lost a bit).

The fact is, just like Roscoe Parrish (I'm assuming you made excuses for him too) he is just way to small to play in the nfl. If your under 180lbs, chances are your going to be injured way too often. You just don't have enough meat on your bones to take the impacts. And don't say this has to do with training for the Olympics either. He just doesn't have a big enough frame to put on the weight needed.

Does that mean Listenbee will be any better than Glass because he is taller and bigger? Nope. As others pointed out, you can be the fastest man in the world but if you can't beat a guy pressing you at the LOS it doesn't mean squat.

He was a 6th round draft pick so I doubt they anticipate him becoming an accomplished WR this year. I've long believed that the Bills wanted to add a WR who will open Sammy up for more targets, not take away targets. I think they prefer to throw the ball to Sammy more, not throw the ball to the 6th round draft pick. His speed has to be respected, meaning defenses have to commit certain resources to Listenbee that last year they had available to help with Watkins.

He will be a glorified decoy to stretch the field and open up the route tree for Watkins. Which is fine for a 6th rd pick. Houston spent a 1st and a 3rd on glorified decoys for Hopkins.

If you stop and think about it, there is no way teams roll the safety towards an unproven, 6th round rookie, one-dimensional speedster, and take their chances with Sammy Watkins.

What they do is play the rookie extremely physically, force him to beat hard jams, and prove he can even get off the line of scrimmage. And if he can, they give him a cushion, and force him to read the defensive coverage well enough to break off his combination routes and make back shoulder catches.

If the rookie beats you, so be it; but you force him to rather than letting Sammy run wild.

If you stop and think about it, there is no way teams roll the safety towards an unproven, 6th round rookie, one-dimensional speedster, and take their chances with Sammy Watkins.

What they do is play the rookie extremely physically, force him to beat hard jams, and prove he can even get off the line of scrimmage. And if he can, they give him a cushion, and force him to read the defensive coverage well enough to break off his combination routes and make back shoulder catches.

If the rookie beats you, so be it; but you force him to rather than letting Sammy run wild.

this