Best Bills Draft Ever?

Posting for the first time in months.

I'm the pessimist a-hole on this board.

I've never seen the Bills draft this well ever. EVER.

That is all.

You posted 2 days ago you pessimistic a-hole lying piece of donkey dung! :flirt:

I really like the first 3 picks. There may be something in each of the last 3. Overall very good.

Still worried about o-line.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could go on for hours...the talent accumulated is ridiculous...regardless of the results...but to me best part is Whaley knew he had to address the QB situation. Rumors all over trying to get second pick...Denver wants Tyrod..blow it all up, etc. Whether you like Jones or not..DW figures out how to swing for home run, and give both qb's vote of confidence..we're ready to roll into year two of this...tyrod go earn 20 million. EJ go earn a second contract. He figured out how to keep EJ and give him one more shot. I'm not saying come September we don't have Hoyer or somebody backing up, but picking a qb at two would have been a disaster. The draft isn't all about accumulating talent, it's also about motivating the talent you have.

Were there 6 4 wr's available even in the first?

Regarding C. Jones......I think what you see with him is a QB that is not afraid to throw the ball.....EJ is just too damn cautious.....he wont pull the trigger.

I am excited to see our new QB toy...in training camp and pre season....then I want him put away with a sign that says.."do not open for a year"

There weren't any 1st rounders that size... Still, I think a big WR would have done us more good in the 6th than a corner... Devon Cajuste, Mitch matthews, Alonzo Russell... Coulda been any of those.

i could go on for hours...the talent accumulated is ridiculous...regardless of the results...but to me best part is Whaley knew he had to address the QB situation. Rumors all over trying to get second pick...Denver wants Tyrod..blow it all up, etc. Whether you like Jones or not..DW figures out how to swing for home run, and give both qb's vote of confidence..we're ready to roll into year two of this...tyrod go earn 20 million. EJ go earn a second contract. He figured out how to keep EJ and give him one more shot. I'm not saying come September we don't have Hoyer or somebody backing up, but picking a qb at two would have been a disaster. The draft isn't all about accumulating talent, it's also about motivating the talent you have.

I'll stop talking about how I didn't like the draft (pessimism is not tolerated here!), and ask one question that's been bothering me. Whaley was on the record stating that Kevin Hogan was the most "pro-ready" and the best Bills fit among all the QBs, including the first rounders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646131/article/bills-gm-kevin-hogan-is-drafts-most-proready-qb-for-our-team

Then they drafted Cardale. I know the obvious answer is "but Cardale has a higher upside", but does this signal some significant disagreement in the draft room? Hogan would likely be able to step in pretty quick if Tyrod goes down or walks. Cardale, not so much.

I'll stop talking about how I didn't like the draft (pessimism is not tolerated here!), and ask one question that's been bothering me. Whaley was on the record stating that Kevin Hogan was the most "pro-ready" and the best Bills fit among all the QBs, including the first rounders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646131/article/bills-gm-kevin-hogan-is-drafts-most-proready-qb-for-our-team

Then they drafted Cardale. I know the obvious answer is "but Cardale has a higher upside", but does this signal some significant disagreement in the draft room? Hogan would likely be able to step in pretty quick if Tyrod goes down or walks. Cardale, not so much.

He also said "all these qbs require a leap of faith.....and C. Jones requires a bigger leap of faith then most"

It was a smokescreen.....they wanted players taken ahead of C. Jones so that he would fall to their perception of "value" meets "round" thing

He has the highest upside of any QB in this draft.....I think what we are gonna find out over time is that with the exception of Goff ALL of these QBs are gonna need clipboard time.

I just feel like they are doing it right...there is a unquestioned number 1 QB on this team.....this year.

My only beef is with the Cardale pick. He's such a long shot that I just don't see the point. I am also a firm believer that you should take a CB or safety somewhere in the first four rounds of every draft, whether it's an immediate need or not. That would have been a good place to take one.

Otherwise, I think they got a lot of value across the board; a lot of seemingly safe picks, but nobody that makes you stand up and say, "dayum!!!". I'd give it a B+ overall.

There weren't any 1st rounders that size... Still, I think a big WR would have done us more good in the 6th than a corner... Devon Cajuste, Mitch matthews, Alonzo Russell... Coulda been any of those.

sixth.....round.....pick

reported to be a special teams ace

its not a bad philosophy to take a corner in every draft......you dont know how they are gonna pan out.

I remember that year we took Kenny Irvin and Marlon Kerner......loved both those players.

My only beef is with the Cardale pick. He's such a long shot that I just don't see the point. I am also a firm believer that you should take a CB or safety somewhere in the first four rounds of every draft, whether it's an immediate need or not. That would have been a good place to take one.

Otherwise, I think they got a lot of value across the board; a lot of seemingly safe picks, but nobody that makes you stand up and say, "dayum!!!". I'd give it a B+ overall.

We did take a QB in the first 4 rounds of the draft

I am excited to see our new QB toy...in training camp and pre season....then I want him put away with a sign that says.."do not open for a year"

Cardale is built for a pro system. I have a feeling he is going to progress much faster than people think, and may push Tyrod a bit this year.

I'm encouraged by this Draft, as I'm one who believes that Whaley has done a very good job since he took over as GM, but to be the best Draft ever - Cardale would need to eventually become a HOF QB....IMO

Haha. There's a lot to like in this draft. I just hope we didn't draft scheme specific players. I'm so sick sick of using resources to keep drafting guys who "fit the system."

If Rex's defense doesn't show major improvement, he will be gone. So hopefully we won't have to spend more resources to retool the defense yet again.

Of course they will. A new D-Coordinator will come in who plays the base 4-3 and the cycle will continue.

Kiko was nearly DROY wasn't he? I'd say that poster nailed it on that side. Can't blame a fan for being excited about a QB pick either.

Either way, I am sure we can dig up lots of threads of "can't believe we didn't pick that guy like X team did. Same ole' bills", and said player falls into obscurity.

The thing everyone must take into consideration is that drafting is like baseball. If you hit .333 you're a stud. But it still means you missed two out of three times. The best drafters in the entire league of all time are not only wrong all the time but the guys they hit on they themselves wouldn't "bet" on. It's impossible to know with any certainty whether these college guys will become good pros. That why the Sammy Watkins trade was great from the start and worth it from the start, there are some years, like this one, that there is not a single player that is a guaranteed stud. Not one in this entire draft. Watkins was a guaranteed stud. That's why you make that trade.

2012 was a very good draft. ron brooks and nigel bradham aren't favorites here but were good value for their draft pick #. tank carder was a good pick and likely a starter in cleveland despite being cut by us at the 53 cut down.

gilmore and glenn were top notch.

imagine if we only got russ wilson there in the 3rd? or ty hilton? i so wanted russwilson.

mark asper and zebrie sanders with john potter, we hardly knew thee

EDIT:

Josh Norman was one pick before Zebrie Sanders

Justin Bethel was one pick before Mark Asper

Edited by Boyst62

Your hoping instead of listening to what the GM is saying

C. Jones isnt gonna sniff the field this year

That might be the plan, but lots of things can happen. I'm sure Seattle did not expect Russell Wilson to see the field his rookie year, either.

I've seen too many drafts, too many highly-touted rookies fail, and too many late-round picks work their asses of and make the team, and too many injuries to worry about judging it the weekend of.

That why the Sammy Watkins trade was great from the start and worth it from the start, there are some years, like this one, that there is not a single player that is a guaranteed stud. Not one in this entire draft. Watkins was a guaranteed stud. That's why you make that trade.

And Watkins was absolutely guaranteed to be gone by the time the Bills picked. It drives me crazy when teams trade up for a guy who likely would have been available to them anyway if they stayed put.

Kiko was nearly DROY wasn't he? I'd say that poster nailed it on that side. Can't blame a fan for being excited about a QB pick either.

Either way, I am sure we can dig up lots of threads of "can't believe we didn't pick that guy like X team did. Same ole' bills", and said player falls into obscurity.

Eh, it's easy to nail a prediction that "The Bills could have a good rookie player." I'm about to predict that the weather could be nice tomorrow.

Edited by FireChan