Best Bills Draft Ever?

I've seen too many drafts, too many highly-touted rookies fail, and too many late-round picks work their asses of and make the team, and too many injuries to worry about judging it the weekend of.

Yep. The draft is a big off season pep rally.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bills had a very good Draft...

But...

We really don't want to talk about best ever quite yet...do we?

85 - Bruce, Andre, and Reich...That's two Hall of Famers...One of the best back up QB's ever...Plus a solid starting CB in Derrick Burroughs... Burkett was OK...And Hal Garner was a hell of a special teams player...

87 - Conlon, Odomes, Mueller, Dr Sack, McKeller, and the steal of all steals House Ballard...Plus Biscuit was Drafted that year...I guess you could say in a roundabout way we traded for the #2 overall pick in 87...He never came close to playing for Indy...

2016 has some tough company...

Edited by KOKBILLS

Liked the Lawson pick. The guy is an immediate starter and will make an impact for the defense.

I'm ok with the Ragland pick as he was widely projected as the top ILB in this class and we got him in the 2nd.

I, unlike some, like the Washington pick. I think he will end up meshing well on the DL.

Cardale Jones. A physical specimen @ QB. Has all the tools and is a solid developmental QB.

Now to the RB, Williams. This one pissed me off. Should have been Reader and we ended up not getting the true NT to free up Dareus. Pissed..... SOOOO pissed. The only thing I can see at the moment is another wasted year of Dareus playing mostly NT.

The WR Listenbee, I get it. Dude has speed and decent size for a guy with that speed. Hope he can contribute.

Kevon Seymour........ Who is that?

Striker as a UDFA is intriguing and I believe he will make the 53 man roster if for depth and ST alone.

I know nothing of the rest, but this is my 2.

There weren't any 1st rounders that size... Still, I think a big WR would have done us more good in the 6th than a corner...

Don't sleep on the corner. He is a good player. Think he has a better chance than either the running back or the receiver we drafted ahead of him in the long term.

I think the Bills had a very good Draft...

But...

We really don't want to talk about best ever quite yet...do we?

85 - Bruce, Andre, and Reich...That's two Hall of Famers...One of the best back up QB's ever...Plus a solid starting CB in Derrick Burroughs... Burkett was OK...And Hal Garner was a hell of a special teams player...

87 - Conlon, Odomes, Mueller, Dr Sack, McKeller, and the steal of all steals House Ballard...Plus Biscuit was Drafted that year...I guess you could say in a roundabout way we traded for the #2 overall pick in 87...He never came close to playing for Indy...

2016 has some tough company...

1983 deserves a mention as well. Kelly and Talley. No Kelly, no Superbowls.

1985 also saw Steve Tasker get drafted, even if it was too another team.

Anybody else concerned about the 4th round RB who was out of football last year because he had his foot amputated?

Well, not amputated actually, but it's like he's one short heart beat away from a bursted-aorta-like loss of his foot... from the knee down. :blink: This sounds like something we should obsess over for the next several weeks, now that The Draft is concluded.

What caused us to to miss the playoffs last year?

- The D dropped 15 spots

- We took lots of injury hits on offense

We still finished 8 and 8

Dont look at it like we should be going to the Super Bowl next year....look at it like we need to end our 15 year playoff drought......LETS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS FIRST

We gotta stand up before we can run

great analysis but I would add one thing as a causal factor: the undisciplined propensity for careless, totally unnecessary penalties which are the epitome of a Rex Ryan team - i.e., all the BS penalties after the play is over. If this culture/behavior doesn't change, it does not matter how good this draft was.

sixth.....round.....pick

reported to be a special teams ace

its not a bad philosophy to take a corner in every draft......you dont know how they are gonna pan out.

I suspect one could "pan out" to be a very good corner, which is great, but won't improve our RZ efficiency all that much... If a tall, rangy, wideout could make Fitz look good, what could one do for a talented rookie? -Or a game-managing veteran like Tyrod?

I think If your football "philosophy" doesn't embrace putting 6 on the board whenever possible, it may be time to revisit, and perhaps adjust it to one thats more conducive to geting wins...

I think the Tao's of Aaron Maybin, TJ Graham and EJ Manuel, coupled with the fact that a "sixth....round.... pick" has kept his division-mates in the cellar for a generation, is enough to demand more attention to our bottom line, which should be scoring.

Don't sleep on the corner. He is a good player. Think he has a better chance than either the running back or the receiver we drafted ahead of him in the long term.

The RB has left foot issues, and the WR stands 6 feet even, so I couldn't disagree with you if I wanted to... Darby worked out better than I thought... Hopefully Kevon doesn't Seymour butts running off into the endzone. ^_^

Edited by #34fan

No idea how good the draft was for the Bills, unlike most of you who love it or hate it.

The only thing I am sure of is that by not adding any pass protection, Taylor won't be spending much time in the pocket, again.

I suspect they could "pan ou"t to be a very good corner, which is great, but won't improve our RZ efficiency all that much... If a tall, rangy, wideout could make Fitz look good, what could one do for talented rookie? -Or a game-managing veteran like Tyrod?

I think If your football "philosophy" doesn't embrace putting 6 on the board whenever possible, it may be time to revisit, and perhaps adjust it to one thats more conducive to geting wins...

I think the Tao's of Aaron Maybin, TJ Graham and EJ Manuel, coupled with the fact that a "sixth....round.... pick" has kept his division-mates in the cellar for a generation, is enough to demand more attention to our bottom line, which should be scoring.

The RB's ACL is shot, and the WR stands 6 feet even, so I couldn't disagree with you if I wanted to... Darby worked out better than I thought... Hopefully Kevon doesn't Seymour butts running off into the endzone. ^_^

If you're referring to Jonathan Williams, he had a foot injury.

I give it an A for now.

Lawson- helps with the edge and pass rush. After a 21 sack season as a team, this was much needed. And, at a much lower pay rate than Mario.

Ragland- We needed to get tougher in the middle IMO, The Bills believe he is a batter athlete than given credit. No problem with trading up. I would rather have a player than draft picks. They believe he is their David Harris. Go for it.

Washington- I see the reasoning as he helps with the inside rush against teams like NE. The guy is physically gifted and first team AA from a great program.

Jones- The most physically gifted QB in the draft. He completed 62% of his passes, if the 60% standard had not been met I would not be in favor. UPSIDE.

Williams- Admittedly knew nothing about him. Sounds like a repeated attempt at Karlos. At this point in the draft i"m good with it. As evidenced last year we need RBs in our system-they get hurt

Listenbee- he was on my list as a late round selection and many have likened him to Goodwin. I believe he is more of a receiver than Goodwin ever dreamed of being. Love the speed and the pick.

Seymour-another speedy DB, you knew Bills would take one. At this point take the upside. I think i heard one of the analysts say he is a future starter for what its worth.

Overall- I gave an A because our team's weakness last year was pass rush and the front 7 toughness. Lawson and Ragland are rough, tough guys who will help in these areas. Throw Washington who was third in QB pressures for interior DL and mission accomplished. Got a much needed QB prospect who has outstanding talent and size. Got a receiver from a passing program with world class speed. A Fred Jackson clone perhaps at RB. And, a future starter in the secondary, at least special teams talent.

Downside- Lawson needs shoulder surgery after the season, Ragland comes out on third down, Washington is a situational rusher only, Jones doesn't develop, and the late picks are all washouts...Oh and we traded up to get Ragland. My feeling is that the draft has a very RANDOM element to it. Early in the draft you do the best you can to get BPA and fill needs. We did that. Later in the draft you can't fill needs without alot of luck so you must go for upside. We did that.

If you're referring to Jonathan Williams, he had a foot injury.

Correct.. for some reason I mixed him up ARK running back Juan Day who blew out his Anterior Cruciate Ligament in a spring Practice... Williams did require two screws in his foot to help the ligaments there heal... Foot injuries that don't heal are nagging, painful, and affect the lateral movement of a RB... Still a risk.. Even in the 6th.

Edited by #34fan

Correct.. for some reason I mixed him up ARK running back Juan Day who blew out his Anterior Cruciate Ligament in a spring Practice... Williams did require two screws in his foot to help the ligaments there heal... Foot injuries that don't heal are nagging, painful, and affect the lateral movement of a RB... Still a risk.

Of course. But the Bills' medical staff cleared him and see it as a non issue moving forward.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Of course. But the Bills' medical staff cleared him and see it as a non issue moving forward.

Being cleared by med staff doesn't equate to production on the field. He's a rookie RB with a dodgy foot going to a situation where the running is harder, and the yardage more contested... I'd have taken a receiver, or at least opted for the more explosive ARK RB, which IMO was Alex Collins... SEA ended up grabbing him, and got one heck of a weapon.

Being cleared by med staff doesn't equate to production on the field. He's a rookie RB with a dodgy foot going to a situation where the running is harder, and the yardage more contested... I'd have taken a receiver, or at least opted for the more explosive ARK RB, which IMO was Alex Collins... SEA ended up grabbing him, and got one heck of a weapon.

How are you reaching the conclusion of a dodgy foot without the benefit of the medical report? The Bills didn't see it your way and the guy is a good prospect who's part of the team now.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Anybody else concerned about the 4th round RB who was out of football last year because he had his foot amputated?

Well, not amputated actually, but it's like he's one short heart beat away from a bursted-aorta-like loss of his foot... from the knee down. :blink: This sounds like something we should obsess over for the next several weeks, now that The Draft is concluded.

:lol::lol: