What Front Do We Run?

Now that we have Shaq, I want to ask the defense minded posters a simple question: How the hell do we use him?

Yes, I get that he is an edge rusher. But he is a rather different player than Mario Williams. How do you balance him with with a more speed rusher with Hughes, and two very different tackles in Dareus and Kyle. Do you try to get to the front you had with Pettine? Do you take a DE or NT and try to replicate the 46 defense? Something entirely different?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone did something like this with Nkemdiche and I like it for Lawson too

3-4 Base

Shaq NT Dareus

Lawson Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Nickel

Shaq WIlliams Dareus Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Gives Williams some rest while not asking too much from your NT or Lawson. I wonder what others think.

3-4 Base

Shaq NT Dareus

Lawson Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Nickel

Z Brown P Brown

Gives Williams some rest while not asking too much from your NT or Lawson. I wonder what others think.

I would not be surprised at all to see #49 be a player who can play a lot of 0 and 1 tech... B-)

Jarran Reed, Andrew Billings. :wub:

Well...I like Chris Jones better than any of them...But obviously after tonight it's looking like that's just me... :lol:

Seriously though the DT's still available...It's crazy...Now that we got Lawson Billings is SO enticing!!! I still prefer Jones because he's SO versatile...And he can play plenty of NT if that's what they want him to do...But anyway...Wow...I can't believe how this 1st Round fell...I'm SO excited about #49!!! B-)

3-4 Base

Shaq NT Dareus

Lawson Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Nickel

Z Brown P Brown

I think you'll see Dareus where you have Shaq - he's best at that spot - Kyle where you have Dareus - Barnes/draft pick at the nose and Shaq where you have Lawson.

Jerry Hughes is in the LB room this year, so my assumption is that Lawson (Shaq) and Dareus line up at end with Kyle at the nose. Hughes will line up at the OLB side opposite Lawson's field side. Lawson (Manny) will play OLB opposite Hughes, and the two Browns will play MLB, with Preston playing on Hughes' side of the field.

Jerry Hughes is in the LB room this year, so my assumption is that Lawson (Shaq) and Dareus line up at end with Kyle at the nose. Hughes will line up at the OLB side opposite Lawson's field side. Lawson (Manny) will play OLB opposite Hughes, and the two Browns will play MLB, with Preston playing on Hughes' side of the field.

As good as KW is...He's not a Nose...He's a 3 tech and one of the best in the league there...Plus he's 32 coming off a knee...As the Bills stand right now Dareus still gets the bulk of the saps at 0 or 1 in the a 3 man front...He's best suited...That's why I think it's imperative that the Bills get a versatile player to add to this mix that can play a lot over the center... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

That's kind of interesting. Of course the normal way is the run stuffer, space eating NT. But Kyle has even played well at NT just being Kyle because he is such a disrupter. Sure, the guy in front of the 3-4 ILB is not going to be tying up,OL so the backers have a clear route to the ball carrier. But it could be an amazingly disruptive line where all four guys have completely different skill sets and strengths and teams will not have a good game plan for how to stop them.

3-4 Base

Shaq NT Dareus

Lawson Hughes

Z Brown P Brown

Nickel

Z Brown P Brown

So shaq is playing OLB and DE at the same time in the 34?

I would not be surprised at all to see #49 be a player who can play a lot of 0 and 1 tech... B-)

You got me for a second. I'm looking up the roster to see this new #49

That's kind of interesting. Of course the normal way is the run stuffer, space eating NT. But Kyle has even played well at NT just being Kyle because he is such a disrupter. Sure, the guy in front of the 3-4 ILB is not going to be tying up,OL so the backers have a clear route to the ball carrier. But it could be an amazingly disruptive line where all fouThe r guys have completely different skill sets and strengths and teams will not have a good game plan for how to stop them.

I'm guessing that they're hoping for a bigger contribution from Barnes. The chart above makes sense. I see 70/30 play splits between Williams/Barnes