RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

What is funny is if Shaq comes in this season and dominates nobody is gonna give a crap about the first 2 games he misses......

And if it perm fixes whatever that problem is...and he goes on to a dominate career for the bills....this will be a blip on the radar screen

Yes, but it's something to B word about NOW! The Fire Everybody crowd isn't going to just start making sh*+ up, ascribing thoughts and motivations to people they don't even know.

Oh, wait...

I think people are pissed because immediately after the selection we heard Schefter saying how Lawson needed the surgery and would be out 4-6 months. Shaq quickly dispelled that as did Whaley who passed the buck to the medical staff. "It's nothing we are real worried about or we wouldn't have taken him. We got complete faith in our medical staff and they signed off on him so we are excited to have him."

Somewhere there is a disconnect, either they should have been worried because the injury was more serious than the medical staff determined, or they ignored our staff and the reports around the league and took the player who they knew had an injury which needed to be addressed. If it's the latter why not just come out and say that he is worth the wait and your excited to have him? If it's the former and he was cleared to play NFL football only too end up injuring himself pushing a bag in a non contact camp it's a bad look for the docs. It was a pre-existing injury you just determined it was ready for NFL contact or maybe it wasn't.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/28/what-they-said-3/

Wynn would be better than Biermann. I hope the bridge isn't burnt!

Per the bold text, this is exactly what they should have done. I think the Bills underestimate the intelligence of their fan base and our ability to handle news of this sort. We have waited for or have been otherwise concerned with star college players coming off injury whom we've selected high in the draft in the past and most of us realize that injury is part of the game and every player is only one play away.

Then again, given the overt agenda of some in our local media, I can also see why they decided to be coy about it, too. But it's always better to be candid with fans than avoiding the media.

GO BILLS!!!

Per the bold text, this is exactly what they should have done. I think the Bills underestimate the intelligence of their fan base and our ability to handle news of this sort. We have waited for or have been otherwise concerned with star college players coming off injury whom we've selected high in the draft in the past and most of us realize that injury is part of the game and every player is only one play away.

Then again, given the overt agenda of some in our local media, I can also see why they decided to be coy about it, too. But it's always better to be candid with fans than avoiding the media.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe OBD would have been more concerned if Shaq had missed time in his Clemson career due to the shoulder injury.

GO BILLS!!!

That's the frustrating part for me personally, heck even members on this board were agreeing how it made more sense to just get it taken care of right after the draft instead of risking further the injury during the season. Now it's 3 weeks later and the team does exactly that but puts a little spin on it. First we are told he can play, oops he can't play! Stop taking nice toys away from us!

Maybe OBD would have been more concerned if Shaq had missed time in his Clemson career due to the shoulder injury.

Well that's a valid point as well. He never missed a game and had a monster senior season playing through it. There was good reason to assume he could do the same this season. It may be just as simple as the report that he aggravated it during rookie camp and the organization decided to err on the side of caution.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm torn on how I feel about this idea. It makes perfect sense that Shaq was out there, so he must be ok.. But for about half the season Shaq and Ben Boulware (absolute monster at LB) had those braces on their shoulders that wouldn't even let them get close to 90 degrees. I watched each play nervous as hell that they would get taken off the field. Hell, they said Shaq got hurt doing a swim move in practice.. He couldn't use the swim move for the second half of the season! As soon as I saw those style braces I knew they were pretty limited.

On the other hand, once his shoulder is fully healed he may be better than ever. Like Shaq said, he has dealt with the injury his whole college career so maybe he will add some moves to his arsenal.

I'm torn on how I feel about this idea. It makes perfect sense that Shaq was out there, so he must be ok.. But for about half the season Shaq and Ben Boulware (absolute monster at LB) had those braces on their shoulders that wouldn't even let them get close to 90 degrees. I watched each play nervous as hell that they would get taken off the field. Hell, they said Shaq got hurt doing a swim move in practice.. He couldn't use the swim move for the second half of the season! As soon as I saw those style braces I knew they were pretty limited.

On the other hand, once his shoulder is fully healed he may be better than ever. Like Shaq said, he has dealt with the injury his whole college career so maybe he will add some moves to his arsenal.

If he had it his whole college career...why not get it fixed after his first season?

Hey. Stop making shoulder jokes! :lol: In all sincerity, I appreciate your thoughts as one who knows this situation very well. :thumbsup:

Hey. Stop making shoulder jokes! :lol: In all sincerity, I appreciate your thoughts as one who knows this situation very well. :thumbsup:

Haha you got me on that, I'll have to watch my words with this topic.

If he had it his whole college career...why not get it fixed after his first season?

I don't have an answer for that one.. But if my memory is correct he never had any form of brace on it up until this season. But now knowing that it was something he dealt with, it does seem odd that he didn't get it done over one of his offseasons during school. The only thing I could guess is that somehow he really did f*** it up during practice and it made it that much worse (which is heard for me to believe). Edited by Clemson Bills Fan

Whaley got played by Lawson and his agent. He needs surgery less than 3 weeks after the draft. Really? Whaley should just admit that he got burned by Lawson and his agent who lied all along saying the shoulder would be fine for 2016 to get him drafted in the 1st round. For Whaley to come out and say Lawson is forsaking personal goals and doing this for the sake of the team makes Whaley look even more like an assclown. Stop it already.

Edited by DDD

Whaley got played to get Lawson drafted in the first round. He should just admit that he got burned by Lawson and his agent who lied all along saying the shoulder would be fine for 2016 then 3 weeks after the draft suddenly needed surgery. For Whaley to come out and say Lawson is forsaking personal goals and doing this for the sake of the team makes Whaley look even more like an assclown.

Pure nonsense!

Because he was able to play at an extremely high level with the injury. It's not always so cut and dried as to when to elect to have invasive surgery.

GO BILLS!!!

Given the number of games he played at Clemson w/o missing any time, I don't see why either one of these has to be the case.

Well, he came in and tweaked that shoulder putting a swim move on a tackling dummy. He's obviously worked around it his college career and given his MCL sprain didn't stop him from playing against Alabama, the dude will play through pain.

Don't get me wrong, I like the pick from a talent standpoint, but how do your medical staff and coaching staff fail to test this shoulder sufficiently if that was all it took to tweak it?

I look at the big picture: Our top two draft picks have health concerns, Ragland's being more concerning. Do we trust our medical staff opinions that Ragland will be fine? His career is probably one of the worst choices for someone with an enlarged aorta. I don't know that anyone can predict how quickly it might or might not expand, I know if it were me I'd want it echoed more than once a year.

http://www.umcvc.org/conditions-treatments/aortic-disease-faqs http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/c/1435/118832/neglected/

The thing is we're trying to make the playoffs and we need to do 2 or 3 games better than last year. and are forced to rely on rookies. One may be down till November and the other one's health is quite frankly an unknown moving forward. I don't fault the talent selection, just question the medical opinions.

GO BILLS!!!

There's no way you can tell your fan base that even though you haven't made the playoffs in forever and just lost two defensive starters that your #1 pick is a guy that won't even contribute this season. Not if you want to continue to sell tickets.

Besides, I suspect that they hoped he could play this season and get whatever surgery he needed next off season so he didn't miss time. Their medical staff "cleared him" after all.

Well, he came in and tweaked that shoulder putting a swim move on a tackling dummy. He's obviously worked around it his college career and given his MCL sprain didn't stop him from playing against Alabama, the dude will play through pain.

Don't get me wrong, I like the pick from a talent standpoint, but how do your medical staff and coaching staff fail to test this shoulder sufficiently if that was all it took to tweak it?

I look at the big picture: Our top two draft picks have health concerns, Ragland's being more concerning. Do we trust our medical staff opinions that Ragland will be fine? His career is probably one of the worst choices for someone with an enlarged aorta. I don't know that anyone can predict how quickly it might or might not expand, I know if it were me I'd want it echoed more than once a year.

http://www.umcvc.org/conditions-treatments/aortic-disease-faqs http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/c/1435/118832/neglected/

The thing is we're trying to make the playoffs and we need to do 2 or 3 games better than last year. and are forced to rely on rookies. One may be down till November and the other one's health is quite frankly an unknown moving forward. I don't fault the talent selection, just question the medical opinions.

Ragland's Enlarged Aorta is not a concern at all with regard to his football career.