Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

Karma is a B word. Check the video of him running over an old man back while he was at WV. Couldn't find the video but here is the link to the story, pushing a 71 year old coach.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2015/08/12/iowa-state-assistant-coach-wally-burnham-geno-smith/31543789/

Karma is a B word. Check the video of him running over an old man back while he was at WV. Couldn't find the video but here is the link to the story, pushing a 71 year old coach.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2015/08/12/iowa-state-assistant-coach-wally-burnham-geno-smith/31543789/

I did not know that.

Let karma rule !!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Also because they have a very good HC and a very good defense. This is not good news for the Bills or Dolphins, at all.

Their HC is essentially unproven, and his team failed in the biggest moment of the season. Where are all of the "they seemed unprepared" remarks for the Jets' effort in W17?

You've got a schitt ton of strange takes, friend.

But it's not a true 1-year $12M deal. They wanted to spread out his cap hit and that's why they got while Fitz will get $12M for the year and probably be able to void next year. Again if Fitz had agreed to this deal months ago they would have jumped at it.

He gets all the money this year. Why do you think he cares about the Jets accounting methods? The last sentence in your post makes no sense--the fact that the Jets put it out there that it is a one year deal--exactly as it looks like it is, has nothing to do with Fitz. He said he wanted a 12 million one deal and they absolutely gave him one. How they describe it to the league is of no consequence to him.

He gets all the money this year. Why do you think he cares about the Jets accounting methods? The last sentence in your post makes no sense--the fact that the Jets put it out there that it is a one year deal--exactly as it looks like it is, has nothing to do with Fitz. He said he wanted a 12 million one deal and they absolutely gave him one. How they describe it to the league is of no consequence to him.

I agree he doesn't and shouldn't care. But likewise, the Jets (and most everyone else) don't care that he had to wait to get his money, when they wanted all along to get him to spread it out over more than one year, and got him to do just that. So they were smart for doing that but are dumb for paying him that much.

I agree he doesn't and shouldn't care. But likewise, the Jets (and most everyone else) don't care that he had to wait to get his money, when they wanted all along to get him to spread it out over more than one year, and got him to do just that. So they were smart for doing that but are dumb for paying him that much.

My understanding is this type of deal was not offered early. It seemed the Jets actually wanted to retain Fitz for 2 or 3 years. With anything past the first year being at a substantial discount. If this offer had been made in June I suspect he would have agreed (Weo's point). Jets might not care but I can understand other players on that roster watching this process and not being excited about how it went.

My understanding is this type of deal was not offered early. It seemed the Jets actually wanted to retain Fitz for 2 or 3 years. With anything past the first year being at a substantial discount. If this offer had been made in June I suspect he would have agreed (Weo's point). Jets might not care but I can understand other players on that roster watching this process and not being excited about how it went.

I see no reason why they wouldn't have offered this type of deal early since it retains him for a year while they groom Hack and spreads his money over 2 years to get him under the cap easier. But whether they offered it to him earlier or not, this deal represents a good compromise.

This is my understanding as well. The Jets were pushing to keep Fitz in years 2 & maybe even 3 at a lowball number. He countered with the 1 year $12M deal and they rejected it. They didn't mind paying it this year but their objective was to retain him at a backup price. Coming off of a franchise record season he said no thanks. After dragging each other through the mud for a couple of months the Jets (predictably) bowed to Fitz's demand. They had no choice!! That's a point that's not to be missed. The Jets had to keep Fitz and everyone (including Fitz) knew that. He waited them out and the Jets gave him what he wanted. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He gets it all this year.

Based upon what I researched and saw last year, and this deal, by the end of 2016 he will have made 51 million dollars playing football.

Considering where he started, seriously, not bad.

As I have said on previous occasions, this is a guy whose services are going to be in demand, primarily as a back up, probably until his late 30s. Even if he is overly mediocre this season, he should be able to earn 3-4 million as a back-up for the next few years...if he wants.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Yup. And the Jets get to spread it out over 2 years so they don't have to make a lot of moves to fit him under the cap.

So your claim that Fitz didn't want the Jets to "spread it out over 2 years" makes no sense. If they offered him this in early June, he would have taken it because....it's a one year 12 million dollar deal.

Based upon what I researched and saw last year, and this deal, by the end of 2016 he will have made 51 million dollars playing football.

Considering where he started, seriously, not bad.

As I have said on previous occasions, this is a guy whose services are going to be in demand, primarily as a back up, probably until his late 30s. Even if he is overly mediocre this season, he should be able to earn 3-4 million as a back-up for the next few years...if he wants.

Fitz is a no brainer on a team with a solid starting QB. He's a good teammate. Smart. Reliable (for a backup) and even occasionally quite good. Plays his guts out.

So your claim that Fitz didn't want the Jets to "spread it out over 2 years" makes no sense. If they offered him this in early June, he would have taken it because....it's a one year 12 million dollar deal.

I don't know. Maybe he/his agent didn't like the sound of a 2-year $12M deal? Even if he got all his money in the first year.

And it's possible the Jets didn't offer this earlier. Again I don't fault them for not giving him a 1-year $12M deal right off the bat and waiting to see if his demands would come down.

I don't know. Maybe he/his agent didn't like the sound of a 2-year $12M deal? Even if he got all his money in the first year.

And it's possible the Jets didn't offer this earlier. Again I don't fault them for not giving him a 1-year $12M deal right off the bat and waiting to see if his demands would come down.

Yeah, that's the bit that makes no sense. But hang in there...

Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a 1 year, $12,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $12,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,000,000. In 2016, Fitzpatrick will earn a base salary of $12,000,000. Fitzpatrick has a cap hit of $12,000,000 while his dead money value is $12,000,000.

Spotrac says this. Where is all of this coming from that it's a potential 2 year deal with the 2nd year being voidable? I think Fitz sticking point was that he didn't want to be stuck in NY in 2017 working for peanuts.

Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a 1 year, $12,000,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $12,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,000,000. In 2016, Fitzpatrick will earn a base salary of $12,000,000. Fitzpatrick has a cap hit of $12,000,000 while his dead money value is $12,000,000.[/size]

Spotrac says this. Where is all of this coming from that it's a potential 2 year deal with the 2nd year being voidable? I think Fitz sticking point was that he didn't want to be stuck in NY in 2017 working for peanuts.

Albert Breer. Mentioned earlier in thread.

Albert Breer. Mentioned earlier in thread.

Breer's reporting proves Fitz had nothing to do with the 2 year part of the deal. It's just how the Jets put it on the books. Fitz is getting 10 million to sign and 2 million base--all this year, just as he wanted months ago. Everything you said about him and his agent is wrong. He wanted 12 million and the the Jets figured out a way to give him 12 million for one year. If they "offered" that in the beginning of June, when he demanded it, of course he would have signed. To suggest otherwise continues to lack any logic or sense.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Ask Fitz. l'd be willing to bet the Jets would have jumped at this deal months ago. Why wouldn't they?

The Jets wouldn't (and didn't) jump at 1 year, 12M months ago because they didn't have the cap space.

They still don't, but with Wilkerson signed they were close enough to see how to make it work

Fitz actually turned down more guaranteed money ($16M guaranteed in the Jets offer) in order not to be locked in to a 3 year deal at a bargain rate for the next 2 years. Which is sort of the opposite of what folks were saying at one point (that the Jets wanted 1 year and Fitz wanted several). Got to hand it to him, he has confidence in himself.