Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

Not to derail the conversation but I always laugh at the garbage QBs that people fall in love with (Hackenberg, Petty, Nassib, EJ, Geno, etc...). At least Fitz is an NFL starter.

We have an average QB trending up and we should be thrilled. The league isn't exactly pumping out young studs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derail the conversation but I always laugh at the garbage QBs that people fall in love with (Hackenberg, Petty, Nassib, RJ, Geno, etc...). At least Fitz is an NFL starter.

We have an average QB trending up and we should be thrilled. The league isn't exactly pumping out young studs.

Agreed. :beer:

Not to derail the conversation but I always laugh at the garbage QBs that people fall in love with (Hackenberg, Petty, Nassib, EJ, Geno, etc...). At least Fitz is an NFL starter.

I am closer than you might think to agreeing with this.

You could add Fitz to that list too, KJ. Last year was far and away his best year. But it came in his 11th season and despite the playoffs being there for the taking, he **** the bed.

Now I like Fitz and think he's a great backup, but there's just something missing when it comes to being a franchise guy. I think the Jets are willing to give him top backup money but nothing more, and I don't see many other teams going beyond that at present.

You're right. Historically, the league hasn't exactly been overflowing with top QB play, but the last four years or so has been brutal for some teams. The quality of QB play seemed to be uniformly better when teams were focusing on letting a young guy watch from the sidelines for a while before putting him in. I also think that defenses on average are getting better every year, or at least stronger and faster.

This is why I don't necessarily like running quarterbacks, because they usually end up getting hurt unless they can keep down their instinct to run at the first sign of trouble. I like Tyrod but sometimes he makes me nervous. I understand that he wants to win and is willing to take risks, but he's got to keep working on staying in the pocket. Throw it out of bounds, run out of bounds if he as to, but I cringe a little when he lowers his head to get extra yardage.

If he can stay healthy for 16 games I think we can make the playoffs.

I still think Nassib could be a decent QB. We'll see when his rookie deal expires and he hits free agency next year.

FTR, did you think Tyrod was a garbage QB when he was just Flacco's backup? I'm assuming you must have.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

We all love Fitzy. Obviously very smart and by all accounts is truly a regular guy. His teammates seem to like him, even his opponents. He's never going to say anything obviously stupid in front of a microphone.

He would be the perfect face of a franchise. But in the long run, under big game pressure, he's not a franchise quarterback. I think it would be better to be a backup somewhere if he really still has the itch to play. If not, he should walk away now and go into business or whatever he's got planned for the future.

I think it would be terrible to see him hanging on, moving from team to team, getting hurt, etc. I hope it works out well for him.

I actually have changed my tune about him. he has screwed his buddies and himself and more so Chan.

i have no happy thoughts for him any longer.

and they will be starting Smith if nothing changes.

BB you have been grumpy all day.. I hope you are feeling better soon !

We should sweep NE & Miami & split with the Jets.

or sweep the Jets handily

i think he would be better than winston right now. by the end of 2016, maybe not so much. long term prospect wise - winston may be a better option.

jags, he'd start.

Lol. Can you imagine the fans and media in Tampa and Jacksonville if they signed Fitz and installed him as the starter? Talk about pitchforks. There would be a riot.

Lol. Can you imagine the fans and media in Tampa and Jacksonville if they signed Fitz and installed him as the starter? Talk about pitchforks. There would be a riot.

they'd not have to install him as a starter. he'd not make it due to logic - you'd go with youth if you can.

but he'd be an upgrade to both teams qb position should he start.

jags, he'd start.

I get that a lot of people around here still like Fitz, but that's crazy talk. Bortles just had a better season in his 2nd year than Fitz did his entire career. He also plays behind a terrible pass blocking line - I'm pretty sure he led the league in getting sacked last year. The guy can spin it.

I still think Nassib could be a decent QB. We'll see when his rookie deal expires and he hits free agency next year.

FTR, did you think Tyrod was a garbage QB when he was just Flacco's backup? I'm assuming you must have.

No, I thought that he had skills that could translate. He would have been in a group with Garrappolo, Osweiler, and a few others.

However, I would have had McCarron in this group last year. He has proven to be okay. I was wrong about him.

No, I thought that he had skills that could translate. He would have been in a group with Garrappolo, Osweiler, and a few others.

However, I would have had McCarron in this group last year. He has proven to be okay. I was wrong about him.

Fair enough.