Titans Trade #1 Overall Pick to the Rams

The Rams roster isn't as bad as its offensive (last) and defensive (lower middle) rankings, but it isn't as good as you're making it out to be either. They've got some good, young talent - which would be nice to have on the Browns someday. The Rams have a good start on their defense, but their offense is a long way off.

they were 7th in defense this year and 9th last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titans made out like bandits. Never trade up. Belichick and Johnson taught us this.

Unless you can trade up with Cleveland, and get Sammy Watkins. We all know Cleveland screws up the draft picks anyway -- until now, of course, when their groundbreaking moneyball strategy with a front office full of Harvard stat geeks will set the league on it's ear.

Not to quibble too much but I'd probably put them around 10-11 last year, certainly not as low as "total yardage" suggests. They finished 11th in % of drives ending in scores, 11th in avg. yards per drive and 7th in points per drive. I like those stats a little more. Interestingly the Bills, for as bad as they seemed, finished 13th, 12th and 19th respectively.

Not to quibble too much but I'd probably put them around 10-11 last year, certainly not as low as "total yardage" suggests. They finished 11th in % of drives ending in scores, 11th in avg. yards per drive and 7th in points per drive. I like those stats a little more. Interestingly the Bills, for as bad as they seemed, finished 13th, 12th and 19th respectively.

good points. the one thing that FO adds into the mix is strength of schedule. The Rams faced AZ and Seattle twice each, and both of those teams had top-5 offenses (Seattle #2 and AZ #4 according to FO; AZ led the league in yards and was second in points). They also played Cincy and Pitt, which were the #1 and #3 offenses overall according to FO. So 6 of their games were against top-4 offenses.

Edited by dave mcbride

Couple thoughts:

- Depends on your metrics. I was going by yardage and points allowed. More advanced metrics rates them better.

- It is incredibly difficult to rank a defense with any kind of metric when the offense is so poor. When teams don't have to score as much to win and run the ball a greater percentage of the time to run the clock and minimize turnovers the metrics get skewed.

- There is definitely some talent on that defense so there's hope for it. Maybe with a competent Rams offense they'll be in a position to perform better. We will just have to wait and see on that, but there's no way that's a top 10 defense the last two years.

@mikefreemanNFL

To give up that much for a draft featuring a year where the QB crop isn't that great is just not smart.

The problem with this view is, they don't need a crop, they need to be right about one guy.

It's true there is no Elway/Manning/Luck type of guy in this draft, but not many years feature those types of prospects.

swap firsts...rams 2 2nds and their 3rd

And their 1st and 3rd round pick next year

Couple thoughts:

- Depends on your metrics. I was going by yardage and points allowed. More advanced metrics rates them better.

- It is incredibly difficult to rank a defense with any kind of metric when the offense is so poor. When teams don't have to score as much to win and run the ball a greater percentage of the time to run the clock and minimize turnovers the metrics get skewed.

- There is definitely some talent on that defense so there's hope for it. Maybe with a competent Rams offense they'll be in a position to perform better. We will just have to wait and see on that, but there's no way that's a top 10 defense the last two years.

Thing is, the Rams lost a lot on their D this year in salary cap moves. Long was injured in 2014 and again last year, and his production fell off, so I can kind of see it, but he does leave a hole.

Lauranitis was the heart and soul of that D. He never missed a game, he never had a season with <100 tackles, he never quit. Big hole IMO.

So they have a bunch of holes to fill, and typically giving up 3 picks in this year's draft and 2 in next year isn't the best strategy for that circumstance.

@SiriusXMNFL

AUDIO: @Gil_Brandt thinks @JaredGoff16 Cali roots makes him a better fit for the #Rams than Carson Wentz. http://bit.ly/1NeQsgd

#NFLDraft

I would agree. Lots of teams are very interested in the Browns #2 overall pick with Wentz being the target of most. Offers from multiple teams are already in. It looks like the Browns are going to move the pick and take a developmental QB later to go along with RG3 and McCown. One thing is for sure - QBs are going 1&2.

The problem with this view is, they don't need a crop, they need to be right about one guy.

It's true there is no Elway/Manning/Luck type of guy in this draft, but not many years feature those types of prospects.

LOL at your inclusion of Luck in that category.

Yeah I'm excited to see what haul of players the Titans can pull from all those picks in this draft. One first, three seconds, and two third rounders. Yum.

I ran the D-Tek simulator:

1 15 Tennessee Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame P4Grab +7 Value

2 33 Tennessee Noah Spence OLB34 Ea. Kentucky P2Grab +10 Value

2 43 Tennessee Darian Thompson FS Boise State P2 -9 Reach
2 45 Tennessee Artie Burns CB Miami (FL) P3 +5 Value
3 64 Tennessee Austin Johnson DT34 Penn State P4 +11 Value
3 76 Tennessee Tyler Boyd WRF Pittsburgh P6 +22 Value
5 140 Tennessee Paul Perkins RBC UCLA P4 +42 Value
6 193 Tennessee David Morgan II TE UTSA P4R +4 Value
7 222 Tennessee Jeff Driskel QB Louisiana Tech P4R +6 Value

Astrobot - It's funny when you see this list, it really resonates how well they could do after this draft, and then they have 2 #1's, and 2 #2's next year. If you come from the philosophy of you should get a starter in rounds 1-3, that means there is the possibility of having 11 new starters in two years.

I'd be stoked and patient if I were a Titans fan. If they still suck in four years, that is all on the front office.

Man, when you list it like that, the deal really looks huge for them, and they can still move up or down.

wow.

Hope Rams make this work for them. Great publicity and all...

Astrobot - It's funny when you see this list, it really resonates how well they could do after this draft, and then they have 2 #1's, and 2 #2's next year. If you come from the philosophy of you should get a starter in rounds 1-3, that means there is the possibility of having 11 new starters in two years.

I'd be stoked and patient if I were a Titans fan. If they still suck in four years, that is all on the front office.

Right! If i was the GM and the Coaches? This is a dream come true. They can very nearly build a new front seven in theory. In just one draft.

3 2s and 2 3s and still get a sure fire starter in the 1st.

@AdamSchefter

Rams officials will meet with both QBs, Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, before April 28 draft to help determine No. 1 pick, per league source.

Keep the suspense in case one guy goes all Johnny Manziel? I mean, if they don't KNOW, I'd be shocked. The price they paid screams of commitment.

Keep the suspense in case one guy goes all Johnny Manziel? I mean, if they don't KNOW, I'd be shocked. The price they paid screams of commitment.

Yeah, they know who they're taking. The only thing I can come up with as to why they're being coy is that they're trying to make it tougher for SF to work a deal for the other QB.

With all those picks they can gamble and take Jaylon Smith , Myles Jack even Aguayo

Pretty sure they take Wentz and want to hear any reasons to switch to Goff.

Edited by ALF