Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His leverage is the guy playing behind him and the fact the Bills havent had a QB since last century

If he plays like did last year, Taylor will get paid, alot

don't doubt that. But in this businrss the guy behind him won't matter for negotiations

Absolutely.

so it is not " expected "

I wonder what exactly does professional mean?

Societal expectations are just horrid these days.

They should all be be Pros, because that is what being drafted into the Big leagues is. Professional Sports. They even get symposiums to learn to act write.

Tyrod is doing it right.

I respect the heck out of him for his actions and non actions.

Why this is an anomaly befuddles the Miss Manners in me.

This should be expected behaviour.

all that being said. TT leads by example. :worthy:

Cousins is Tagged @ $20M/yr, Ostwieller (sp?) gets $18M/yr with a 7 Game body of work. Tyrod has twice that many starts to evaluate. Tyrod will cost us $19M/yr avg. Expect it and Get used to it. There's no 'well lets see how he does this year'. He'll get it here or elsewhere.

Cousins is Tagged @ $20M/yr, Ostwieller (sp?) gets $18M/yr with a 7 Game body of work. Tyrod has twice that many starts to evaluate. Tyrod will cost us $19M/yr avg. Expect it and Get used to it. There's no 'well lets see how he does this year'. He'll get it here or elsewhere.

You are most likely right, and I think the number will be $20m+ per year. But there is a slight chance that Taylor has a terrible year (maybe the same thing happens to him as it did for Kaepernick). In that case, we would all be happy not to be locked in long term at $20m. I am not expecting this but I do believe it is a possibility. The Bills are playing it smart. Let the season play out a bit and then pay him mid-year. (not to mention the fact that they have no cap space to pay him right now anyway).

The longer Gilmore plays hard ball, the more likely TT gets his deal first.

Agreed, that is if Tyrod continues to show the improvement they are looking for. :thumbsup:

I do wonder if the bills are having "Fitzpatrick" syndrom here

I don't blame them in a sense because Tyrod's play could fall off a cliff this year. I hope not, but I do believe they will pay the man if he shows well on the field.

I do wonder if the bills are having "Fitzpatrick" syndrom here

I don't think it's got anything to do with Fitz; I think they're simply doing the smart thing.

They don't want to end up in a situation like SF did with Kaepernick's contract, where he hasn't come close to living up to it, and now they're on the hook for a $16M cap hit this season and he's not even going to start.

It's not a slight against Tyrod; it's simply smart business.

Bad business would be doing what Houston did: giving a guy with 8 starts $18M/year. If Tyrod doesn't get his pay day, it's going to be because he doesn't earn it with his play this year.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Fitz; I think they're simply doing the smart thing.

They don't want to end up in a situation like SF did with Kaepernick's contract, where he hasn't come close to living up to it, and now they're on the hook for a $16M cap hit this season and he's not even going to start.

It's not a slight against Tyrod; it's simply smart business.

Bad business would be doing what Houston did: giving a guy with 8 starts $18M/year. If Tyrod doesn't get his pay day, it's going to be because he doesn't earn it with his play this year.

It really is that simple.

It will get slippery if he plays "okay" .

But for now, the sky is the limit for all 3 parties.

FO, Tyrod , and Us fans !

I break the importance of positions down as:

Pass throwers (QB)

Pass rushers (DE/OLB/DT)

Pass catchers/stoppers (WR/CB)

Pass protectors (OL)

You nail down those cornerstones when you have them. The Bills have done so with Hughes, Dareus, Glenn & Incognito in recent years. The great/elite OL doesn't have to be OT either, G/C are intregal to giving a QB time.

So everyone basically: 1 QB, 3 Pass Rushers, 3 or 4 Pass stoppers, 3 or 4 Pass Protectors... So you are paying top dollar to 10 to 12 of 24 starters? Not possible with the salary cap. Maybe 2 or 3 guys on offense and 2 or 3 on defense. That's it.

So everyone basically: 1 QB, 3 Pass Rushers, 3 or 4 Pass stoppers, 3 or 4 Pass Protectors... So you are paying top dollar to 10 to 12 of 24 starters? Not possible with the salary cap. Maybe 2 or 3 guys on offense and 2 or 3 on defense. That's it.

You don't pay all of them. Just your best ones.

The longer Gilmore plays hard ball, the more likely TT gets his deal first.

Well, in fairness, they both will get paid; neither one will suffer at all. I simply believe they will be on different teams next year. Is there a team in the league that is covering max or near max salaries at QB, CB, TE, LT, RB , Edge rusher, DT and WR (Watkins need to be paid next year too) all at the same time? I don't need to be a cap ologist to not see TT and SG both fitting under the cap without gutting the rest of the team (eg. Watkins). I'd rather have Sammy than SG.

Well, in fairness, they both will get paid; neither one will suffer at all. I simply believe they will be on different teams next year. Is there a team in the league that is covering max or near max salaries at QB, CB, TE, LT, RB , Edge rusher, DT and WR (Watkins need to be paid next year too) all at the same time? I don't need to be a cap ologist to not see TT and SG both fitting under the cap without gutting the rest of the team (eg. Watkins). I'd rather have Sammy than SG.

Watkins will need to be paid, but not next year. He's a FA in 2019. 5th year option will be 2018 though and not cheap. It does look like Gilmore could be the odd man out if TT earns his deal and as much as I like Gilmore, it is what I'm hoping for. Nothing is more important than the success and solidification of the QB position on this team.

Obviously if they can find a way to pay both Gilmore and TT that is ideal, but it's not realistic if they both want top dollar.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Personally, I think Tyrod's ability to stay healthy and play AT LEAST 15 games this year, presuming he's not injured for the last one (and into the playoffs *if* the BILLS make it there) will have as much to do with his extension - should he receive one - as any other factor. He's a hell of an athlete and has all the talent in the world, but is shorter, a little slighter in frame, and is not a traditional pocket passer, all setting him up for being injured 3-4 games per season...which, is problematic for long-term viability. I like Tyrod and certainly hope he demonstrates significant progress from last year to this, but I'm not overly optimistic about his ability to take hits and avoid crushing blows outside the pocket.

Watkins will need to be paid, but not next year. He's a FA in 2019. 5th year option will be 2018 though and not cheap. It does look like Gilmore could be the odd man out if TT earns his deal and as much as I like Gilmore, it is what I'm hoping for. Nothing is more important than the success and solidification of the QB position on this team.

Obviously if they can find a way to pay both Gilmore and TT that is ideal, but it's not realistic if they both want top dollar.

Yeah. We will be having the same discussion about Wakins in 2018 as we are about Gilbert now. Gilbert's going to get paid North of $13M/yr, but South of $15M/yr. it'll be interesting to see where the final contract lands. That'll leave enough to pay (or tag) Taylor if he earns a big deal. It'll be a nice problem to have if he does.

I'm talking about the message doing a Tyrod deal sends Gilmore.