Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

Bill from NYC's head just exploded.

teams should never draft CBs high or pay good CBs because they are inessential ... in a passing league ... or something

Tbh if I had my QB, LT and #1WR set I would draft a CB in the 1st every year. You need at least 3 good ones in most defensive packages and they have a high rate of injury. They also demand huge money in FA if they are even pretty decent. Keep drafting them high and make sure you are set there.

Darby's development will allow them some flexibility in signing Gilmore. I'd love to keep both but not if he wants 15 mill/year. They have to pay Taylor and Watkins who are going to clean.up. They are more irreplaceable in both FA and draft.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh if I had my QB, LT and #1WR set I would draft a CB in the 1st every year.

I would prefer a pass rushing defensive end. There are less humans who are big, strong and fast enough to play DE. There are more who resemble Leodis McKelvin. I do however appreciate the premise of your post.

I do not believe that Gilmore should be the highest paid player on the Bills. He is a good corner, not a superstar. Personally, I expect Whaley to break the bank for Gilmore and give him virtually whatever he wants. If Whaley can actually refrain from over-spending on Gilmore, I will re-think some of my critical statements about him.

Btw, if Gilmore is just THAT great (as many here surely believe) he should fetch us AT LEAST a first round pick, right? Well, under those conditions, count me as a proponent of trading him AND drafting a first round corner (if they like one) with the extra pick.

Sound like a plan? ;)

What happens with Gilmore depends on how Darby and Seymour look. If Darby keeps his level of play up and Seymour turns out to be a find, it's "bye bye Gilmore."

as it should be, though I really like Gilmore. But, it's how you build a contender. I actually think they may decide not to tag him if that happens. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think that the Bills are going to set a number with Gilmore and stick to it. He's a really, really good player, not a great player IMO. If they can't get a deal done I think that they tag him next year and trade him.

I'm starting to think that the Bills will extend Tyrod during the season. If he is progressing like it sounds I would expect them to start considering it. I think that the Brock Osweiler deal is probably the starting point. Long story short, I don't think that TT will require the franchise tag next year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that the Bills are going to set a number with Gilmore and stick to it. He's a really, really good player, not a great player IMO. If they can't get a deal done I think that they tag him next year and trade him.

I'm starting to think that the Bills will extend Tyrod during the season. If he is progressing like it sounds I would expect them to start considering it. I think that the Brock Osweiler deal is probably the starting point. Long story short, I don't think that TT will require the franchise tag next year.

Right. IMO they need to have as much cap space as possible set aside for Taylor and Watkins.

Hey, better than needing to draft a QB in the first.

Let them draft another rookie contract CB in the first--that's a value move nowadays. The worst value move is always the second CB contract. It never pays off.

I am absolutely not disagreeing with you on this

Good QB over good corner every time......one touches the ball way more then the other

I am a little nervous with all this talking up of late round Seymore.....dont get me wrong......would love to have a late round pick with good size and speed come in and give us 4 years of cheap quality play opposite to Darby

Its just not playing the percentages that EVERY draft pick in this draft is gonna come in and be a starter....I already think Lawson, Ragland, our Ohio state DT, are all gonna come in and be impact players.......and Listenbee might be really underated.

Seymore lost his position at USC.....and I know he had the eye issue but talent at the college level usually finds a way to stay on the field

If we dont sign Gilmore before this next season I think he is tagged AND I think we are looking at corners high in the draft.

teams should never draft CBs high or pay good CBs because they are inessential ... in a passing league ... or something

Tbh if I had my QB, LT and #1WR set I would draft a CB in the 1st every year. You need at least 3 good ones in most defensive packages and they have a high rate of injury. They also demand huge money in FA if they are even pretty decent. Keep drafting them high and make sure you are set there.

Darby's development will allow them some flexibility in signing Gilmore. I'd love to keep both but not if he wants 15 mill/year. They have to pay Taylor and Watkins who are going to clean.up. They are more irreplaceable in both FA and draft.

Denver had Talib and CHJ and they drafted Roby in the first round I think? That worked out well, I like your style. They did something similar with pass rushers - they had Ware and Miller when they took Ray.

I would prefer a pass rushing defensive end. There are less humans who are big, strong and fast enough to play DE. There are more who resemble Leodis McKelvin. I do however appreciate the premise of your post.

I do not believe that Gilmore should be the highest paid player on the Bills. He is a good corner, not a superstar. Personally, I expect Whaley to break the bank for Gilmore and give him virtually whatever he wants. If Whaley can actually refrain from over-spending on Gilmore, I will re-think some of my critical statements about him.

Btw, if Gilmore is just THAT great (as many here surely believe) he should fetch us AT LEAST a first round pick, right? Well, under those conditions, count me as a proponent of trading him AND drafting a first round corner (if they like one) with the extra pick.

Sound like a plan? ;)

I don't believe any team would give up a first round pick for a player in the final year of his contract.

Who was the last Super Bowl winner that wasn't paying an elite CB top-10 money when they won the title?

The Seahawks. Sherman was extended after they won. Maybe even the Broncos. I don't think Talib or Harris were top 10 last year.

Who was the last Super Bowl winner that wasn't paying an elite CB top-10 money when they won the title?

Broncos, 2015, Ravens 2012, Giants 2011....

I'll make this easier for you. Of the top 10 top salaried CBs in 2016, only 2 have a SB ring. And Revis only has one because he happened to stop for a cup of coffee in NE in 2014. More teams have wasted more money on this single player than any other in NFL history. He is the prime example as to why this is a foolish way to do business.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I'll make this easier for you. Of the top 10 top salaried CBs in 2016, only 2 have a SB ring. And Revis only has one because he happened to stop for a cup of coffee in NE in 2014. More teams have wasted more money on this single player than any other in NFL history. He is the prime example as to why this is a foolish way to do business.

Seahawks were only paying Sherman $600k when they won the Super Bowl.

Talib was the 9th highest paid CB last year, so 2012 would be the answer to my question.

The Super Bowl champions of the last 3 seasons think you're wrong.

Sound like a plan? ;)

Apparently, that won't be the case and with good reason, Gilmore is a very solid CB that still needs to get better in some aspects of his game (some mental lapses in game and better tackling) The Bills would love to keep him but won't budge to his contract demands.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/6/17/11963222/gilmore

The Buffalo News' Vic Carucci wrote this morning that he's been told "the Bills have no intention of giving Gilmore a contract that will come close to the five-year, $75-million deal [Josh] Norman received to join the Washington Redskins as a free agent." Carucci goes on to write, "The Bills, as I understand it, would be willing to put him in the range of about $12.5 million, maybe $13 million, per year. But they aren't going to $15 million." That's slightly under the $13.4 million average value we projected after the Norman deal was announced, but it's certainly in the ballpark.

more in the link...