Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its just me but I love how TT has handled himself during these contract negotiations

CBF

TT is definately a classy guy who frankly the other players respect which is huge

but

Lets face it...

- After sticking to his guns....coming out in the draft as a QB instead of a offensive weapon...and getting drafted late

- After sitting behind a franchise QB for years doing his mop up duty

- After coming into a 3 QB competition and basically being considered the "horse the others are supposed to look good against"

Here he sits at the top of the bills pile.....its his spot....he isnt gonna let some other QB take him off it.

I think the bills are going to do the right thing here......

Why?

Good QB's are much harder to find than a solid to good CB

CBF

The issue in my mind, is that the best QBs have one thing in common: they generally remain healthy and are durable over time. Something that Tyrod Taylor that has not yet proven, to no fault of his own. Gilmore is a known commodity and while I certainly *hope* Taylor can be that kind of long-term QB the BILLS are desperate to retain, I just am not sold in one season for the type of commitment required in terms of money and deal, again IMHO....additionally, while all reports are that Taylor has significantly improved with his throws across the middle, I'm still of the opinion that the best NFL QBs are pocket passers and first and foremost cerebral type QBs due to the speed of the NFL and complexities of both the Offense and opposing Defenses, and once again, I'm just not sure that Taylor fits that requirement in both senses....I just don't know...therein lies the crux of my opinion.

TT is definately a classy guy who frankly the other players respect which is huge

but

Lets face it...

- After sticking to his guns....coming out in the draft as a QB instead of a offensive weapon...and getting drafted late

- After sitting behind a franchise QB for years doing his mop up duty

- After coming into a 3 QB competition and basically being considered the "horse the others are supposed to look good against"

Here he sits at the top of the bills pile.....its his spot....he isnt gonna let some other QB take him off it.

I think the bills are going to do the right thing here......

I do think that Tyrod is handling his business properly, but let's face it, he can't really hold out unless he wants to force a trade.

He isn't going to get a new deal anytime soon because of the current cap situation, and the team isn't going to trade him. He's going to have to play this year under his current deal and prove he's not a one-year wonder, and then he'll get his pay day--either here or elsewhere.

As to the Bills, they are doing the right thing; they're waiting to make sure that he can (a) duplicate what he did well in 2015, (b) improve upon what he didn't do well, and © stay ahead of opposing DCs that have an entire season of film with which to game plan against him.

I do think that Tyrod is handling his business properly, but let's face it, he can't really hold out unless he wants to force a trade.

He isn't going to get a new deal anytime soon because of the current cap situation, and the team isn't going to trade him. He's going to have to play this year under his current deal and prove he's not a one-year wonder, and then he'll get his pay day--either here or elsewhere.

As to the Bills, they are doing the right thing; they're waiting to make sure that he can (a) duplicate what he did well in 2015, (b) improve upon what he didn't do well, and © stay ahead of opposing DCs that have an entire season of film with which to game plan against him.

that's what I don't get about Taylor. He has next to no leverage. There is nothing he can hang his hat on to justify the amount of money he likely expects at this point. That he is remaining quiet and saying what little he does is typical. Its what you're supposed to do. Gilmore is doing just the same. But people praise Taylor because he can't say a thing - its funny. Taylor has so much to prove. He hasn't proven to be a bona fide starter whereas Gilmore has; one mor year of continued success without injury issues and Taylor will be worth that $14mm+

that's what I don't get about Taylor. He has next to no leverage. There is nothing he can hang his hat on to justify the amount of money he likely expects at this point. That he is remaining quiet and saying what little he does is typical. Its what you're supposed to do. Gilmore is doing just the same. But people praise Taylor because he can't say a thing - its funny. Taylor has so much to prove. He hasn't proven to be a bona fide starter whereas Gilmore has; one mor year of continued success without injury issues and Taylor will be worth that $14mm+

I find it interesting that you are making a derogatory about TT when it fact he has not done a thing to warrant it.

and no....it is NOT typical of players that make the pro bowl being the lowest paid at their positions when they are so close to the end of their contract.

I think you make too much of TT's agents comments.

I find it interesting that you are making a derogatory about TT when it fact he has not done a thing to warrant it.

and no....it is NOT typical of players that make the pro bowl being the lowest paid at their positions when they are so close to the end of their contract.

I think you make too much of TT's agents comments.

i dont think he was making a derogatory note about TT as much as thinking its silly that posters praise him for doing what hes supposed to be doing. ie his handling of this isnt selfless.

His leverage is the guy playing behind him and the fact the Bills havent had a QB since last century

If he plays like did last year, Taylor will get paid, alot

i dont think he was making a derogatory note about TT as much as thinking its silly that posters praise him for doing what hes supposed to be doing. ie his handling of this isnt selfless.

ok....

So now it becomes an issue of whether TT should be praised or not when so many other players in the NFL dont seem to do that.

I guess that is just a matter of opinion....when you look at the history of the bills and you go back and look at players like Byrd and Peters.....

Edited by John from Hemet

ok....

So now it becomes an issue of whether TT should be praised or not when so many other players in the NFL dont seem to do that.

I guess that is just a matter of opinion....when you look at the history of the bills and you go back and look at players like Byrd and Peters.....

That's 2 players over 10 years, John.

Yes we have TT and SG now. The scary part of it is we have Sammy and Darby in the near future.

I don't think we can afford to pay Gilmore and Darby both $12 mill.

I think that's why they are taking a harder/wait and see approach. If I had to pick between Gilmore and Darby, that is a tough one. Watkins I hope will be a no brainer.

I guess we do have some time yet.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Yes we have TT and SG now. The scary part of it is we have Sammy and Darby in the near future.

I think that's why they are taking a harder/wait and see approach. If I had to pick between Gilmore and Darby, that is a tough one. Watkins I hope will be a no brainer.

To me that will all depend on how well we draft

If we can draft well at the other positions and keep young talent on rookie contracts...you actually could pay 2 corners at that amount.

For instance.....right about the time Shady's contract becomes one the bills will probably want to move away from.....we draft this Williams kid from this last draft that should be able to take up those carries on a rookie deal.

They have Darby for three more years on a really cheap deal. If they wanted, and if SG were open to it, they could structure Gilmore's new contract in a way where he's easy to walk away from just as Darby's new deal is coming due. That would give the Bills 3 years to make sure Darby wasn't a fluke (or a product of Gilmore since he declined when Gilmore went down).

You can't afford to pay 2 corners huge money, but that's not really a concern. The guaranteed money in a new deal for Gilmore--provided it were signed this offseason, would mostly be covered in the first 3 years of the deal--2016, 2017, and 2018. Darby does not become an UFA until after the 2018 season, so if you sign him to an extension prior to 2018--one that kicks in after the 2018 season, you can then let Gilmore go right as he's on the cusp of turning 30 and only be paying one premium CB salary. The 3 years in between offer plenty of time to groom another starter.