NFL.com: Darby to have breakout season #1 corner on team

Darby's ability to get better week after week is amazing. I watched him some since the season ended. He started the season early playing base cb and succeeded. Wrs got better against him, scouting him and attacked him with their hands. He got his hands up and was very good at hand fighting to keep control. Then they started running routes under him, he was quick enough to get back. Then they double moved him and he didn't bite.

You match him up with Gilmore who is just as good in a different way and you've got amazing. You use Gilmores skill set. Strong, physical and able to to stop you at the line and play you how be wants. It is has to describe his style of play with out the ability to show it. But he slows time down when he is covering. He has an innate ability to mimic the moves of a wr split seconds after they make a movement. This is pure athleticism. This is pure skill.

Darby has more skills but Gilmore has better skills. In madden speak, Gilmore has 100's or whatever is highest in 4 of 7 categories with the rest being over 85 or sometbing. Darby has 90 or better in all 7 and doesn't slip up.

If we draft a CB in the first like I could see happening Bill will take a leap off the GW and we will not be passed on.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darby is the balls.

Where is the thanks to the front office for making such a good draft pick?

I think it's been mentioned many times what a great pick it was. Even those who do not like Whaley have acknowledged this

Gilmore is better than Darby.

That's absolutely true; and I think it's reasonable to hope that a early first round pick who is now a 4th year veteran would be better than a rookie second round pick at the same position.

Though I think it's very reasonable to make the argument that Darby had a better rookie season than did Gilmore, in order to make an apples to apples comparison.

That's absolutely true; and I think it's reasonable to hope that a early first round pick who is now a 4th year veteran would be better than a rookie second round pick at the same position.

Though I think it's very reasonable to make the argument that Darby had a better rookie season than did Gilmore, in order to make an apples to apples comparison.

Agree totally, and having Gilmore mentoring Darby certainly played a part in making that happen. Gilmore didn't have a guy like Gilmore around to help him out as a rookie and take him under his wing. He also didn't have Donnie Henderson.

I didn't know we had a Carlos....I know we have a Karlos

smart ass : )

They seemed to figure out how to handle them just fine in the 2nd game; it was LB and safety play (again) that killed them.

They seem to be accumulating versatile corners like Sterling Moore and Corey White this offseason--my guess is that they plan to lock Darby 1-on-1 with Edelman and let Gilmore and Moore play the boundary.

Hmmmm... very interesting thought.

I should make a note, because that makes some sense. Gilmore is too big for Edelman types who can squeak out from coverage like that.

Darby seem like a great fit. but this has me thinking about Robey and Edelman. Why isn't that a fair matchup?

Ron Darby can turn and accelerate like nobodies business that's for sure

He is a safeties coach

yep but he will instill the message of film study and homework to all the secondary

Gilmore is established and has a consistent record of being efficient and productive Darby had a great rookie year. i hope and expect this to continue but it is not a sure thing. Nothing is ever a given but Gilmore's status is far more established.

Gilmore's first 3 seasons were marred by inconsistency and he hasn't played 16 games in any of the past 3 years so gotta' give your take a thumbs down for inaccuracy.

He had been consistently very good since mid-2014 though, but then he missed 4 games in 2015 with an injury sustained because of bad/lazy tackling form.

Time will tell, but I think the motor/competitiveness issues that have kept Gilmore from earning elite status in the eyes of peers aren't issues for Darby.

Darby's only real problem is a lack of size.

I think Gilmore is going to have the kind of stellar year that takes people from asking "is he elite?" to people saying "he is elite".

If Darby steps up his game as well fantastic. If those two making QBs hold the ball doesn't improve our pressures and hits and sacks totals then we will still get burned and Rex will be down the road next January.

Debatable. And not for much longer if that really is the case, in my opinion.

I agree with you...Darby was awesome most of 2015...he faded a little the last couple of games, but the entire defense was decimated with injury. Not a knock on Gilmore, and he may be the more prototypical "cover corner", but Darby really, really impressed me as much as any Bills rookie has in some time, at a very tough position to play in the NFL.

Gilmore is pretty up and down...

Edited by Buftex

i sometimes wonder how down gilmore is with darby

you think there's any chance talk that he's not the #1 would deter him from re-signing?

Every report last year said the two were close, that Gilmore took Darby under his wing and helped his growth tremendously. You can say a lot about Gilmore's skills on the field, but he's shown over and over again to be a selfless player and good teammate above all else. I doubt very much that Darby's progress would impact his decision to resign either way.

...Darby's growth might make the Bills think about not resigning Gilmore -- but that's a different conversation.

Gilmore is already a really good corner, hopefully he polishes up his game fitting within Rex's system. Darby had a very impressive rookie year and if Darby can take that leap year 2 we will have a very good corner tandem. Robey is also a solid underrated nickel corner along the good amount of options the team has in Mario Butler who showed flashes and the two vet corners the team already brought in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000650886/article/ronald-darby-bud-dupree-among-year-2-breakout-candidates-on-defense

Quite the recognition for Darby but is it a slight of Gilmore?

Either way, if Darby improves on a stellar rookie season the Bills could have the best CB tandem in the league.

no way Whaley blows the cap to pay Gilmore if Darby is better than last year... CBs in Rex's system are made by the system, which forces the ball out in under 3 seconds... corners can overplay the receiver as they only have responsibility for 3 seconds or so.... "anyone" can do that :)