NFL.com: Bills #1 need in draft is OT

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000650098/article/2016-nfl-draft-top-five-needs-for-all-32-teams

I disagree as I think they have to go DLine or LB with first pick. Henderson, if healthy supposedly has the talent. Kouandgio is looking more and more like a whiff of a second round pick. That's too bad because the second round has generally been good to the Bills.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you take a right tackle in the first round?

The team is dependent on the run

The QB needs time to let vertical patterns develop...plus he can be indecisive at times

The future is uncertain for the team's current LT

Defenses have been putting more emphasis on the pass rush.

At least, you can make a strong argument to justify an OT at 19. LT/RT are closer to being interchangeable than they used to be.

All depends on cap strtegy. If plan is to let Glenn walk next year and use money for Gilmore and Taylor, then OT is a top priority. If the plan is to lock Glenn up then the priority is LB, LB, NT, SS, DE.

I doubt their plan is to let Glenn walk. Not that it's impossible that he does, but it's pretty clear OBD's plans include Glenn being a core piece of this team moving forward.

The QB needs time to let vertical patterns develop...plus he can be indecisive at times

At least, you can make a strong argument to justify an OT at 19. LT/RT are closer to being interchangeable than they used to be.

I am increasingly coming to this point of view. I don't want to pass on a top pass rusher if one is there... but I can see an argument for one of the tackles over an inside linebacker (whether a pure run stuffer such as Ragland or a more mobile guy such as Lee) at 19. I think Conklin might be more ready to start at right tackle, but Decker possibly has the greater potential to be a guy who could play left tackle further down the line (they should try and keep Glenn but be planning for contingency in case they lose him).

I agree with this. It depends on who is available at #19. The draft is MUCH deeper in front 7 talent than O-line talent. Our offense is dependent on a great O-line, a place where we have many question marks and little to no depth.

If Stanley, Concklin, Decker, or possibly Spriggs are available at 19 it makes it a tough call. But there is some decent O-line talent that could be available in the 2nd: at Tackle: Ifendi, Coleman, and Clark. At Guard: Whitehair and Alexander; and at Center Nick Martin--who is my pick for OL help given his versatility as a guard and backup for Wood.

Agreed. And, like a poster wrote in this thread we may get the best value at #19. Edited by Manther

Folks, in the last 10 years, the Bills have drafted a player in the first round (absent the year without a first round pick), that visited with the team. So why do I bring that up? Out of the 30 visits that the Bills (and every other team) are allowed by the NFL, 13 are scheduled. Out of those 13 scheduled, only 3 are on the offensive side of the ball, with two being quarterbacks. Neither Dak Prescott or Cardale Jones are being drafted anywhere close to the first round. Taylor Decker is slated to meet with the team, so OL could be an option. In this scenario, Decker would likely start at RT this year and be a potential option to move to LT, should they not be able to lock up Glenn to a long term contract. Of the other 4 guys that grade out as first round material, Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, and Shelden Rankins all make sense to me. Rex's defenses have always relied upon the linebackers to make the calls on the field and the Bills need to replace Bradham. Rankins makes sense as well, as they could move Dareus to the outside to play 5 technique and have Rankins clog the middle. The guy that makes a little less sense is Eli Apple, unless they're also assuming that it's possible that Gilmore will walk next year or they just want more quality defensive backs. After all, that's part of the model of "beating Tom Brady". Pressure up front plus quality coverage in the secondary. I personally think those thinking WR are drunk. There's 10 WR's on their roster already and the Bills signed 3 new guys since January, including Jarrett Boykin, Greg Little, and Leonard Hankerson. They also re-signed Greg Salas. Easley isn't going anywhere and they still have Wood, Goodwin, Powell, and Lewis. So unless they start dropping WR's and more important, actually having WR's visit two bills drive, it's highly unlikely that we'll see WR in the first.

I don't know if it's our biggest need. Henderson isn't awful and Glenn is very solid. My main worries are elsewhere.

But Glenn still is on a one year deal, regardless of goodwill. And we could use an upgrade at RT even if it's not strictly necessary. So if a top 10 guy drops to 19, you pull the trigger even if it's not an immediate need.

It's what they did with Darby last year and we seem happy with how that turned out.

OL or DL.

They need a pass protector, but they may need a DL more. In two seasons it has gone from outstanding to a giant negative.

Dareus figures to play better. Hughes gets a good pass rush, but not that good against the run and he's an undisciplined idiot (http://www.nflpenalties.com/position/defensive-line?year=2015). Mario is gone. Kyle is old and almost always hurt. They need immediate quality help.