NFL.com: Bills #1 need in draft is OT

I don't know if it's our biggest need. Henderson isn't awful and Glenn is very solid. My main worries are elsewhere.

But Glenn still is on a one year deal, regardless of goodwill. And we could use an upgrade at RT even if it's not strictly necessary. So if a top 10 guy drops to 19, you pull the trigger even if it's not an immediate need.

It's what they did with Darby last year and we seem happy with how that turned out.

heck yes you do.. but that is unlikely.

I would surprised if the take an OL that early.

Even if BPA.

Unless he is ranked it he top ten. Then its a gift you cannot refuse

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Glenn is gonna get signed long term....I think its going to happen.

So the question now becomes RT....

I dont draft a RT in the 1st round.

Isnt it pretty obvious that the BIGGEST need on this team is pass rush. I really hope Noah Spence drops to us and we just run it up to the podium

you do not question his character?

. There's 10 WR's on their roster already and the Bills signed 3 new guys since January, including Jarrett Boykin, Greg Little, and Leonard Hankerson. They also re-signed Greg Salas. Easley isn't going anywhere and they still have Wood, Goodwin, Powell, and Lewis. So unless they start dropping WR's and more important, actually having WR's visit two bills drive, it's highly unlikely that we'll see WR in the first.

To me this is a sign that Whaley considers WR a huge need, plus we just lost Hogan. I do think our 3 biggest needs are Edge, WR, OT with LB, S, and G right behind. Whaley will go BPA. If God forbid, Sammy got hurt- our number 1 would be Woods, with McRib, Hankerson, Little, Boykin, and Little vying for our number 2. That is scary. There will be plenty of defensive help through 5 rounds(Whaley's own words), but the WR class is weak. If Treadwell is available at 19(or even better after a trade down), I understand the selection.

Character questions would be the only reason he might LAST to 19

I'd rather have Billings. Stout enough to hold up against doubles and disruptive enough to get after the QB. He'd do more for the pass rush than an edge player would, IMO.

I think Glenn is gonna get signed long term....I think its going to happen.

So the question now becomes RT....

I dont draft a RT in the 1st round.

Isnt it pretty obvious that the BIGGEST need on this team is pass rush. I really hope Noah Spence drops to us and we just run it up to the podium

i like Spence as a player. I'm not sure he's the best 1st Rd pick for the Bills at this time because he essentially plays Hughes' position whereas we need to replace Mario. We need a 5 technique who can set the edge, and 2-gap as well as provide pass rush when needed. IMO. Spence isn't really that guy. He's a 3-4 OLB and not great setting the edge or vs the run. We could use him, and I would be excited about the pick because of his talent, but we would still have to fill a need on the DL because he's another Hughes. Jmo Edited by YoloinOhio

i like Spence as a player. I'm not sure he's the best 1st Rd pick for the Bills at this time because he essentially plays Hughes' position whereas we need to replace Mario. We need a 5 technique who can set the edge, and 2-gap as well as provide pass rush when needed. IMO. Spence isn't really that guy. He's a 3-4 OLB and not great setting the edge or vs the run. We could use him, and I would be excited about the pick because of his talent, but we would still have to fill a need on the DL because he's another Hughes. Jmo

I had heard that Spence was actually good against the run.

But regardless....you def could be correct here and the good thing for us is there will be players that fit this.....

I am wondering what having a guy like Billings would do for this defense....or Vernon Butler.......

I had heard that Spence was actually good against the run.

But regardless....you def could be correct here and the good thing for us is there will be players that fit this.....

I am wondering what having a guy like Billings would do for this defense....or Vernon Butler.......

he isn't terrible vs the run, but it isn't one of his strengths. I think Vernon Butler is very intriguing for this DL. He and Rankins are the two who have visited so far. And a pure NT late (such as Reader). Add a OLB/Edge guy like Fackrell...

I'm just spitballing but the position that they wanted Mario to play can be very well done by a guy like Butler (he is being compared to a Mo Wilkerson)

The Bills in my opinion need 2-3 starters in the front 7 (NT and OLB and MLB), so while RT is a need and I wouldn't hate the Bills taking one to sure up the O-line I think that it would only make sense if a RT was the Best player available. However if the choice was between a pass rusher or DT and a RT and both were graded out similar I would rather they take the front 7 player. With Mario and Bradham gone and Kyle getting older they need to replenish the front 7 and find players more suited for Rex's system.

Bottom line I guess I am more comfortable with Henderson and Kujo at RT than I am with the options they currently have at NT, OLB, and MLB.

Edited by billsfan89

Of course it is a need. Once again, the Bills finished near the bottom in sacks per attempt, (27th in the league) like they do most years.

Pass blocking on the right side has been no more than well below average. Henderson has been no more than wildly inconsistent, a big reason he fell to the 7th. Run blocking has been great, but that's only half of your offense.

As far as finding one in the later rounds...good luck. The Bills haven't found any lineman lower than the 2nd round since Jason Peters, 12 years ago.

0 and 14 since then, not including the long list of UDFA Buddy used to parade through OBD.

OL or DL.

They need a pass protector, but they may need a DL more. In two seasons it has gone from outstanding to a giant negative.

It is kind of cool that one man can turn a team's biggest strength into its biggest weakness in one season.

Normally, that's what you want to do to the opposition, not your own team.

I feel like the "offensive line is so important/our offensive line always sucks/always draft offensive line" people are the same as the "we should always trade down in the draft" people. Two concepts that are kind of oversimplified and constantly suggested regardless of our current situation or the draft for that matter.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

To me this is a sign that Whaley considers WR a huge need, plus we just lost Hogan. I do think our 3 biggest needs are Edge, WR, OT with LB, S, and G right behind. Whaley will go BPA. If God forbid, Sammy got hurt- our number 1 would be Woods, with McRib, Hankerson, Little, Boykin, and Little vying for our number 2. That is scary. There will be plenty of defensive help through 5 rounds(Whaley's own words), but the WR class is weak. If Treadwell is available at 19(or even better after a trade down), I understand the selection.

I'm not of the opinion that we need to draft someone super high up for WR. It would certainly help our team, but 2 WRs with your last 2 1st round picks (3 if you count the extra we traded) seems like overkill. We're lacking impact rushers on defense and it showed in the middle of the season. Another rotational contributor along the defensive line would be great as well. It looks like we did a good job patching up some of the depth we lost when players left, and i think they're set to roll with the safeties currently on the roster.

As for the offense, running back is a strength as well as the oline for the most part. We're clearly bringing a ton of WRs to camp and likely keeping 5 or 6 (with easley on the PUP).

Agreed, but to me then, not one they intend to resolve through the draft. My logic is pretty simple here really. Why add three guys since the end of the season when they've only lost one? Why add three guys that won't even work out with Tyrod until well after the draft is well beyond done? Right or wrong, I think the front office believes either one or a combination of the three replaces Chris Hogan. I wouldn't even consider Harvin a loss. He barely played last year and still has a chance to return. I'll agree to disagree here, but am expecting the Bills to draft defense with their first two picks of the draft, unless the right offensive lineman is there.

OL or DL.

They need a pass protector, but they may need a DL more. In two seasons it has gone from outstanding to a giant negative.

Dareus figures to play better. Hughes gets a good pass rush, but not that good against the run and he's an undisciplined idiot (http://www.nflpenalties.com/position/defensive-line?year=2015). Mario is gone. Kyle is old and almost always hurt. They need immediate quality help.

Kyle Williams missed one game in the three years prior to 2015, was playing well when he was hurt, and is the same age fellow DT Pat Williams was when we gave up on him before he went to three straight pro bowls.

Is it wise to take a DL in this draft, yes, but not if we're at the end of a run on DTs &/or DEs. Draft wisely, not for need.

Do you take a right tackle in the first round?

you absolutely do.

there was a brilliant article some time back about how the right tackle is now just as valuable as the left tackle in some regards

there are 11 players on both sides of the ball. (you never draft special teams, i don't care about janikowski bull ****). where you are weakest is where you are weakest and if you get to your pick at 19 and you see that the best player available fills the need at right tackle you draft him as fast as you can. i'm in the camp of always drafting bpa and fill in holes with FA's. but even drafting to need, RT is the biggest need this team has based off of our needs and patterns on offense.

It is kind of cool that one man can turn a team's biggest strength into its biggest weakness in one season.

Normally, that's what you want to do to the opposition, not your own team.

Rex is a genius! Don't ya know?!