Goodell Once Again Talking About Expanded NFL Playoffs

Even though we haven't made the playoffs in 631 years, I'm opposed to this.

There's an inverse relationship at work here: the more teams that make the playoffs, the less meaningful the regular season.

Agreed!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CH - I appreciate the notion to preserve the game, but the only way a bad team makes the playoffs with a 7-9 record is if they are the division winner, and the whole division sucks. Wildcard teams often have better records than at least one division winner.

Meaning basically the Jets at 10-6 would have made it, or the Bucs a few years ago at 10-6 would have made it in the playoffs. It sucks when a 10-6 team can't make the playoffs. If anyone wants to go back 10 years and add one more wildcard team with the best record makes it in what is the worst record we see? My guess is 9-7. Maybe 8-8, but never 7-9 or 6-10.

If I have time I'll take a look. I like the idea as the two extra WC games means only one team gets a bye which means most teams play hard until the very end of the season not sitting a ton of players. It also means only $30,000 or so to each player so not expensive for owners, but a lot of TV revenue for each team. This also benefits players as they get about 50% of the overall revenue so each salary cap goes up.

There is very little downside.

Good post. :thumbsup:

Thanks 26 CB. Ok, i'm off this week so actually had a few minutes to look for the crew. Here you go with facts on 2011 to now. What I'm adding is who would be the 7th team in the WC. Now, for people who had the same record, I don't have the time nor the interest to figure out who it would be, but what you'll see is their record, and I found no one under 8-8. Now you do have the Panthers at 7-8-1 and the Seahawks at 7-9 as division winners, but the owners will never take away the division winner as a selectee for the playoffs. That's a dead issue.

AFC JETS 10/6

NFC FALCONS 8/8

AFC CHIEFS, CHARGERS, TEXANS, BILLS 9/7

NFC EAGLES 10/6

AFC JETS, DOLPHINS, STEELERS, RAVENS 8/8

NFC CARDINALS 10/6

AFC STEELERS 8/8

NFC BEARS OR VIKINGS 10/6

AFC TITANS 9/7

NFC EAGLES, COWBOYS, CARDINALS, BEARS 8/8

So that's four to five (not sure on NFC 2012) teams who didn't make the playoffs, but had a 10-6 record. i know the year before the Bucs didn't get in with 10-6. Making 10-6 and not getting in the dance feels like getting robbed. I know how we felt in Tampa that year. The Bills are my first team, but I root for the Bucs.

There is not one wildcard team with less than 8-8, vs. division winners can have a 7-9 record with a crappy division. I say why not? I love football, and would love for good teams to have a shot at the dance. Remember when the Cardinals made the SB or the Giants with a mediocre regular season record, but got hot in the playoffs.

Anyway, those are the facts, and you guys can decide whether you think it's a good idea.

I like the idea because a 10-6 team usually makes it. I know it's the Jets but they should have been in at 10-6. I don't think we'd ever see a 7-9 team and if we did, we would see them today.

I know it's different because college teams don't all play each other but we just watched 64 teams play. 17 weeks go by fast, but the makeup of a team changes quite a bit over that timeframe. It helps a good team that is not in a weak division or has to play someone like New England twice a year.

I agree with expanding and re-seeding best records. Our last trip to the playoffs we had were 11-5 and had to play the Tennessee Titans in the wild card game (infamous Music City miracle game). They went to the Super Bowl that year. I can't remember records of other teams, but I am sure we had a better record than at least one of the division winners.

Dave - They won't do it. The owners are adamant that a reward for their team winning the division no matter how crappy their record was that year, is a home playoff game. It is money in their pocket, and will never change.

You can't get 24 owners to go along with a home wild card team playoff game. I appreciate the sentiment as you're philosophically right it sucks to go to another city when you have the better record.

44% of the league almost

Plus we have seen teams get in with 7-9 and 8-8 records recently. How long until one gets in with a 6-10 record? I'd rather they keep it the way it is

Rumor has it that Goodell plans on expanding the playoffs until the Browns or Bills get in.

If they would have had it this year the Jets (10-6) and Falcons (8-8) get in. I'm fine with that. The team with the best record in each conference gets a bye and everyone else plays wild card weekend (2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5). No problem with this and it seems like an easy decision.

I am tired of the "talking" about this as we've known the base proposal for awhile and I don't know how much more talking is necessary. Is the NFL super upset over having 12:30, 4:30 and 8:30 games on Saturday and Sunday of WCWE?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Even though we haven't made the playoffs in 631 years, I'm opposed to this.

There's an inverse relationship at work here: the more teams that make the playoffs, the less meaningful the regular season.

Can't get anymore less meaningful to me so have at it. :thumbsup:

Thanks 26 CB. Ok, i'm off this week so actually had a few minutes to look for the crew. Here you go with facts on 2011 to now. What I'm adding is who would be the 7th team in the WC. Now, for people who had the same record, I don't have the time nor the interest to figure out who it would be, but what you'll see is their record, and I found no one under 8-8. Now you do have the Panthers at 7-8-1 and the Seahawks at 7-9 as division winners, but the owners will never take away the division winner as a selectee for the playoffs. That's a dead issue.

AFC JETS 10/6

NFC FALCONS 8/8

AFC CHIEFS, CHARGERS, TEXANS, BILLS 9/7

NFC EAGLES 10/6

AFC JETS, DOLPHINS, STEELERS, RAVENS 8/8

NFC CARDINALS 10/6

AFC STEELERS 8/8

NFC BEARS OR VIKINGS 10/6

AFC TITANS 9/7

NFC EAGLES, COWBOYS, CARDINALS, BEARS 8/8

So that's four to five (not sure on NFC 2012) teams who didn't make the playoffs, but had a 10-6 record. i know the year before the Bucs didn't get in with 10-6. Making 10-6 and not getting in the dance feels like getting robbed. I know how we felt in Tampa that year. The Bills are my first team, but I root for the Bucs.

There is not one wildcard team with less than 8-8, vs. division winners can have a 7-9 record with a crappy division. I say why not? I love football, and would love for good teams to have a shot at the dance. Remember when the Cardinals made the SB or the Giants with a mediocre regular season record, but got hot in the playoffs.

Anyway, those are the facts, and you guys can decide whether you think it's a good idea.

You're basically talking about eliminating divisions in their entirety.

If they expanded the playoffs to 30 teams, I think that we would be fighting to clinch on the last weekend of the season!

We would be 31 and miss both the playoffs and the franchise qb at #1. It could happen no other way.

What they should do is keep the rules the same with the modification that of you finish as the 7th or 8th seed with 10 plus wins you automatically qualify. The conference would then flex to a 7 or 8 team playoff format. Top seeds would have to play hard down the stretch to keep good teams from 10 wins. No one would complain it's too crowded since the only bad teams qualifying would be weak division champs which already happens.

Fixed for accuracy.

If they really wanted to max revenue, they would have the playoffs imitate the NBA and NHL: half the teams get in and there are endless games/rounds (champions in the NBA could potentially play 28 playoff games!) taking months.

NHL playoffs are the best thing in all of sports but the NHL seems so intent on limiting physical play and reviewing offside calls they are aboutttttt a week from screwing that all up.