Goodell Once Again Talking About Expanded NFL Playoffs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though we haven't made the playoffs in 631 years, I'm opposed to this.

There's an inverse relationship at work here: the more teams that make the playoffs, the less meaningful the regular season.

If they expanded the playoffs with one additional WC game in each conference, the ratio would be 14/32. That's still a low percentage.

If they expanded the playoffs with one additional WC game in each conference, the ratio would be 14/32. That's still a low percentage.

44% of the league almost

Plus we have seen teams get in with 7-9 and 8-8 records recently. How long until one gets in with a 6-10 record? I'd rather they keep it the way it is

44% of the league almost

Plus we have seen teams get in with 7-9 and 8-8 records recently. How long until one gets in with a 6-10 record? I'd rather they keep it the way it is

If they did away with division winners automatically getting in, it likely wouldn't be a problem with weak teams qualifying. That's where the problem is.

I get where you're at, but you know the NFL is all about generating more revenue and this will help them do that with the addition of WC games and more teams being in the race late into the season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If they did away with divisions winners automatically getting in, it likely wouldn't be a problem with weak teams qualifying. That's where the problem is.I get where you're at, but you know the NFL is all about generating more revenue and this will help the do that with the addition WC games and more teams being in the race late into the season.

I'd hate to see the playoffs expand. Then one team in each conference gets a bye? That doesn't seem right. And if they add two more teams, then half make the playoffs. I don't like that either. Leave it as is. The NFL is going to hurt itself going for the last nickel with stuff like this.

I hate the idea of division winners not getting in. I don't like seeing an 8-8 division winner get in, but that's really rare - and they aren't getting one of the two byes. If winning your division doesn't yield a team anything, then why have them? Why play three teams twice a season if those games don't matter more than others? You'd really have to do away with divisions and that would take the rivalries out of the game. I hate the thought of that.

They will never do away with division winners getting an automatic bid. If they do that divisions lose all meaning, and the NFL wants them to mean something.

I could see adding one extra wildcard to each conference, to address the 10-6 team that sits home seemingly every year.

However, I would prefer the system stays as is.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'd hate to see the playoffs expand. Then one team in each conference gets a bye? That doesn't seem right. And if they add two more teams, then half make the playoffs. I don't like that either. Leave it as is. The NFL is going to hurt itself going for the last nickel with stuff like this.

I hate the idea of division winners not getting in. I don't like seeing an 8-8 division winner get in, but that's really rare - and they aren't getting one of the two byes. If winning your division doesn't yield a team anything, then why have them? Why play three teams twice a season if those games don't matter more than others? You'd really have to do away with divisions and that would take the rivalries out of the game. I hate the thought of that.

They will never do away with division winners getting an automatic bid. If they do that divisions lose all meaning, and the NFL wants them to mean something.

I could see adding one extra wildcard to each conference, to address the 10-6 team that sits home seemingly every year.

However, I would prefer the system stays as is.

I'm with those who say that this would just dilute the value of making the playoffs.

Personally, I'm terrified of the idea that the Bills could actually end their playoff drought by virtue of getting in under the expanded format.

I'm also fine with the current format, but like I mentioned earlier it's all about driving the revenue train as fast and as far as possible. It's inevitable.

@SalSports

Goodell: TNF to be streamed on Twitter and playoffs likely to expand at some point: http://www.wgr550.com/Commissioner-TNF-to-be-streamed-on-Twitter-playoff/22635347

Separately, the Commissioner also stated the league will continue to look into expanding the current playoff field from 12 teams.

While speaking at a meeting with Jacksonville Jaguars season-ticket holders, in a video posted on the team’s official website, Goodell said, “you don't want to lose the fact that every regular-season game is important. And only having 12 teams qualify, which is the smallest of any of the professional leagues by far, that's a good thing for us….(It) likely will happen at some point, but we want to be really cautious because we really like the balance we have with the importance of the regular season and the postseason and you don't want to mess with that balance. You have to be really careful and cautious."

I'm also fine with the current format, but like I mentioned earlier it's all about driving the revenue train as fast and as far as possible. It's inevitable.

If you analyze any issue by asking what will drive the revenue trainer as fast and as far as possible, you can predict 100% of Roger Goodell's decisions. I was going to try and say that in a snarkier way, but is really is true. :rolleyes:

The only change I would make to the format is to seed by record only. So if the 3rd best record is a division runner up so be it - they are the 3rd seed. Division winners should always qualify but I don't think they should be guaranteed a home game.

Keep it to 6 teams per conference.

If you analyze any issue by asking what will drive the revenue trainer as fast and as far as possible, you can predict 100% of Roger Goodell's the NFL owners' decisions. I was going to try and say that in a snarkier way, but is really is true. :rolleyes:

Fixed for accuracy.

If they really wanted to max revenue, they would have the playoffs imitate the NBA and NHL: half the teams get in and there are endless games/rounds (champions in the NBA could potentially play 28 playoff games!) taking months.

If they did away with division winners automatically getting in, it likely wouldn't be a problem with weak teams qualifying. That's where the problem is.

indeed - i dont foresee a 6-10 suddenly getting the wildcard. it would take incredibly strong division winners across the board to create that situation, hypothetically. and the division winner being 6-10 would be no more likely with this scenario. i think captains foresight is off on this one.

i will say that they are already forcing cities to bid 2 separate weekends for superbowl in anticipation of this possibly happening. which is getting to be a bit much with cities also trying to secure major conventions and such over those times. given the extensive nfl requirements its a real hassle (and part of what i mentioned in another thread about them deciding to limit the cities eligible and reduce the bid process... creating a situation where they will have minimum requirements and simply offer it to cities to accept/decline being part of the discussion)

44% of the league almost

CH - I appreciate the notion to preserve the game, but the only way a bad team makes the playoffs with a 7-9 record is if they are the division winner, and the whole division sucks. Wildcard teams often have better records than at least one division winner.

Meaning basically the Jets at 10-6 would have made it, or the Bucs a few years ago at 10-6 would have made it in the playoffs. It sucks when a 10-6 team can't make the playoffs. If anyone wants to go back 10 years and add one more wildcard team with the best record makes it in what is the worst record we see? My guess is 9-7. Maybe 8-8, but never 7-9 or 6-10.

If I have time I'll take a look. I like the idea as the two extra WC games means only one team gets a bye which means most teams play hard until the very end of the season not sitting a ton of players. It also means only $30,000 or so to each player so not expensive for owners, but a lot of TV revenue for each team. This also benefits players as they get about 50% of the overall revenue so each salary cap goes up.

There is very little downside.