Please draft Reggie Ragland…

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't agree. I fear Ragland is a throw back LB with limited athleticism. Not ideal for today's game. If we go LB I'd prefer Lee.

I question whether Ragland can actually cover when he needs to cover. With Lee, there's no question that he's demonstrated that ability in college as well as being good in run support. I look at Ragland as more of a one-dimensional prospect. He probably does his "one dimension" as good as anyone, but that's not what the Bills will be looking for in the first round.

Take a good look at the current QB landscape. The NFL may want that kind of a wide open game, but they don't have the horses they used to have. There are only a few true franchise QBs left who can beat you consistently with their arms in the league and there's only one a couple of them under 35. The NFL running game is going to make a comeback.

There is absolutely zero evidence for this statement. Passing yards are going up, not down. By my count, there were six sure-fire HOF QBs working in the league last year, at least eight more bona fide veteran franchise QBs, and four or five young rising stars. Show me an era that can top that.

Chan

He would not be my first pick...but I am wondering why you would say he would not get a 2nd contract.

Reminds me a lot of David Harris.......who has had quite the career in the NFL.

I think he'd be one of those guys who is good enough to be a starter, but not good enough to be worth outbidding another team for. Like a Da'Norris Searcy type. Never great, just decent.

Drafting an ILB is like treating the symptoms of a disease. Buffalo's main problem is found elsewhere, namely QB play and stopping/preventing large passing performances. They need a pass rush before their ILB's are upgraded.

Ragland may well be a fine player, but positional value being what it is you don't draft ILB's in the first round unless they're a Kuechly who plays 3 downs, covers extremely well and is a sideline to sideline player. I'm not sure Ragland is that guy.

Drafting a ILB would be par for the course with this franchise. Using the draft to fill needs the result of major scheme changes.

I am mostly, but not completely on board with this. If Ragland is an outstanding run-stuffer with some positive pass-rush skills, as I have seen him described as, then I could be aligned with his selection, especially if he is the leader he is made out to be.

I don't see any pass-rushers that are going to be difference makers at 19 in this year's draft. I like Kevin Dodd, Jarran Reed, and some other of the DLs, but I don't see a pass rusher - certainly none that make up for losing Mario Williams.

I am luke-warm on undersized Darron Lee at LB, but HE could be a difference making pass rusher.

Good luck with that. His schtick is only chiming in negative comments even if they don't make sense. I would venture to say that over the last 5 years the Bills have drafted as well as just about any team in football. They have added Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Kiko, Woods, Watkins, Darby, Karlos, Preston Brown, Bradham, Searcy, Seantrel and Aaron Williams (to name a few).

The Bills are 35-45 in those 5 years they've "drafted as well as just about any team in football."

This argument that Buffalo has better talent is laughable. If it doesn't add up to wins then it doesn't matter. T

Not a 1st round talent in this draft IMO. Get a difference maker at 19 or go home.

Agreed. As non-sexy as the pick would be, I want us to take Jarran Reed from Alabama. I could also deal with a Darron Lee selection. Two guys who would make an immediate impact at positions of need.

The Bills are 35-45 in those 5 years they've "drafted as well as just about any team in football."

This argument that Buffalo has better talent is laughable. If it doesn't add up to wins then it doesn't matter. T

Tell me what teams have acquired more talent than the Bills in recent years? The ball is in your court.

You can complain about whatever you want (you always do) but to criticize the Bills drafting is so far off base your other complaints lose credibility. If you want to complain about cap management, the QB, the regression of the d, coaching, etc... go for it. Complaining about drafting though makes every other point you make less credible.

Your "get off my lawn" approach could be impactful if used correctly. In fact, there are other negative posters that provide an interesting perspective (Weo comes to mind). You don't need to be sunshine and rainbows but to act like the Bills have drafted poorly isn't even off base, it's wrong.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

There's nothing that frustrates me more knowing we need pass rushers when we had arguably the best pass rush in the league a year ago.

We would be in the exact same spot unless Mario took a massive pay cut.

I'm more frustrated we have not drafted defensive lineman in a few drafts. 1 in 5 years.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Whaley has been the head scout or GM for the recent early draft picks of:

Kelvin Sheppard...ILB

Kiko Alonso.....ILB

Preston Brown.....ILB

All rather surprising choices.......undeniably reaches for need.

And somehow ILB is a need.

Hmmm.....go figure.

No matter how well you prepare you are going to have some misses in the draft........do NOT exacerbate the situation by REACHING for need.

And Reggie Ragland would be a reach for need.

He may have an overall "first round grade" on some people's boards......but the smart roster building approach to the early rounds is to fill high impact, high dollar positions that directly impact the passing game.

Quarterbacks......Pass Rushers......WR.....Pass Catchers........these are the high dollar, high impact positions that are hard to fill in later rounds and hard to find or COST PROHIBITIVE to find or keep in free agency.

As Chan said.......if you draft a player early and he lives up to lofty first round expectations there should be no hesitation in paying those guys........but at positions like ILB, OG, C, RB, NT.......it's easy for front offices to rationalize not keeping those guys because they can fill those positions in later rounds or with cheap vets in free agency etc..

Kelvin Sheppard...ILB

Kiko Alonso.....ILB

Preston Brown.....ILB

Hmmm.....go figure.

No matter how well you prepare you are going to have some misses in the draft........do NOT exacerbate the situation by REACHING for need.

He may have an overall "first round grade" on some people's boards......but the smart roster building approach to the early rounds is to fill high impact, high dollar positions that directly impact the passing game.

Quarterbacks......Pass Rushers......WR.....Pass Catchers........these are the high dollar, high impact positions that are hard to fill in later rounds and hard to find or COST PROHIBITIVE to find or keep in free agency.

As Chan said.......if you draft a player early and he lives up to lofty first round expectations there should be no hesitation in paying those guys........but at positions like ILB, OG, C, RB, NT.......it's easy for front offices to rationalize not keeping those guys because they can fill those positions in later rounds or with cheap vets in free agency etc..

2 of those 3 impacted greatly as rookies. They were also not 1st round picks. Your point kind of fails. You can't predict scheme change.

Bills need to draft one of these talented Dts. Andrew Billings is my guy. Sheldon Rankins probably doesn't fall, but if he does its an easy choice.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Kelvin Sheppard...ILB

Kiko Alonso.....ILB

Preston Brown.....ILB

Hmmm.....go figure.

Kelvin Sheppard(2nd offseason)= Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso(2nd offseason)= shady

Preston Brown(2nd offseason)= ???

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

2 of those 3 impacted greatly as rookies. They were also not 1st round picks. Your point kind of fails. You can't predict scheme change.

Bills need to draft one of these talented Dts. Andrew Billings is my guy. Sheldon Rankins probably doesn't fall, but if he does its an easy choice.

Don't forget Brandon Spoon......he made an impact as a rookie too. Great pick right? :lol:

Selecting run game players who are scheme specific is a DOUBLE no-no.

If you think Billings is a guy who would be a legit 10 sack guy if given the opportunity to rush the passer then he's worth an early pick.

If you think he'll just make a very good run stopping NT........well you can get a brand name one of those for less 1/3 the cost of a REAL 3 down DT in free agency every year.....so I'd have to say in that case that would be a BAD call on your part.

Fill your needs in free agency or trade.......not during the draft.......doing so in the draft is a sure way to make your needs multiply in the near future.

I don't understand the point.

I think he was talking about how Whaley parlayed those players into two of the core players on this team. He totally shat upon both the Colts and the Eagles in these instances.

I think he was talking about how Whaley parlayed those players into two of the core players on this team. He totally shat upon both the Colts and the Eagles in these instances.

Because he drafted two poor ILB's? Whaley having a talent for drafting poor ILB's, and trading them for decent non-ILB's doesn't really help our ILB position.

Don't forget Brandon Spoon......he made an impact as a rookie too. Great pick right? :lol:

Selecting run game players who are scheme specific is a DOUBLE no-no.

If you think Billings is a guy who would be a legit 10 sack guy if given the opportunity to rush the passer then he's worth an early pick.

If you think he'll just make a very good run stopping NT........well you can get a brand name one of those for less 1/3 the cost of a REAL 3 down DT in free agency every year.....so I'd have to say in that case that would be a BAD call on your part.

Fill your needs in free agency or trade.......not during the draft.......doing so in the draft is a sure way to make your needs multiply in the near future.

Why are you mentioning mid round picks in reference to our 1st round pick?

Ragland is a top 15-20 rated player. That would not be a strictly need pick. It would equal a best available and need pick.