Please draft Reggie Ragland…

I would agree that the Bills' talent-level has improved over the past three years and that they seem to have drafted better over that time. Their improved record is evidence of that. However, to say that their drafting/talent level is among the tops in the league is simply not supported by any real evidence that I can find.

Its obviously somewhat subjective. The only thing to do is lay out the last 5 drafts team by team and evaluate. The Bills would be up there. Other teams that come to mind (off the top of my head) are the Raiders, Panthers & the Bucs. Some teams that have done a miserable job include the 49ers, Browns, & Dolphins.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch.

in consensus, is it just wrong to draft either Lee ( high ceiling/raw)

or Ragland (run def strong and ready ) at 19 ?

It seems questionable now to me that Reggie cannot play 3 downs. For me it has become his readiness over his ceiling, and vice versa for Lee.

But is their an agreement at nineteen you just do not take an ILB period unless it is a Urlacher or Kuechly type of player? Which neither of these are i suspect.

Maybe I just have a higher value on linebackers than most but I see value in a guy like Ragland that early. Even if Reggie Ragland doesn't improve one iota in the NFL, I think he's a top level ILB for a long time. If I'm drafting a linebacker in the 1st, it has to be a guy that I feel is proven. I have a level of comfort with Reggie that I don't have with Lee. The NFL doesn't guarantee development so give me a guy that's 'NFL ready'.

My philosophy is that you draft good players whenever you can. Ragland isn't the only guy that I love at 19 but he's certainly high on my board. Without good LB play, your defense doesn't stand a chance. This isn't me saying that Darron Lee can't become a very good player but I feel that people have willfully overstated his technical ability because he runs fast. I gave him a 3rd round grade in January knowing he would probably run a sub 4.5 time.

I feel that there's a dropoff past Jack/Ragland (Jaylon Smith pre-injury too) and that does play on my mind a little. I do like guys later in the draft but I'm not sure they can be impact starters in their rookie year. If the team signs Bruce Carter then maybe I'll let LB drop down my priority list a little but, for now, I can't let one of the top guys get away.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Maybe I just have a higher value on linebackers than most but I see value in a guy like Ragland that early. Even if Reggie Ragland doesn't improve one iota in the NFL, I think he's a top level ILB for a long time. If I'm drafting a linebacker in the 1st, it has to be a guy that I feel is proven. I have a level of comfort with Reggie that I don't have with Lee. The NFL doesn't guarantee development so give me a guy that's 'NFL ready'.

My philosophy is that you draft good players whenever you can. Ragland isn't the only guy that I love at 19 but he's certainly high on my board. Without good LB play, your defense doesn't stand a chance. This isn't me saying that Darron Lee can't become a very good player but I feel that people have willfully overstated his technical ability because he runs fast. I gave him a 3rd round grade in January knowing he would probably run a sub 4.5 time.

I feel that there's a dropoff past Jack/Ragland (Jaylon Smith pre-injury too) and that does play on my mind a little. I do like guys later in the draft but I'm not sure they can be impact starters in their rookie year. If the team signs Bruce Carter then maybe I'll let LB drop down my priority list a little but, for now, I can't let one of the top guys get away.

Very well explained Blokes.

I have mixed emotions about picking at 19. But I do think there will some very good, AND solid value. Who and at what that position might be obviously depends on what the teams do before the Bills pick.

I am pretty excited about this draft honestly

Very well explained Blokes.

I have mixed emotions about picking at 19. But I do think there will some very good, AND solid value. Who and at what that position might be obviously depends on what the teams do before the Bills pick.

I am pretty excited about this draft honestly

There's about a dozen guys that might be on the board at 19 that I'd really like and could be solid contributors early on. They would have to really screw up to make me unhappy with their 1st rounder this year (Nkemdiche/Conklin types).

While this class doesn't have many elite calibre players, I think you can get scheme-specific guys (especially on the DL) of some quality in the 4th-5th rounds. Hell, there's a couple of guys that'll probably be UDFA's who could make the Bills DL rotation.

There's about a dozen guys that might be on the board at 19 that I'd really like and could be solid contributors early on. They would have to really screw up to make me unhappy with their 1st rounder this year (Nkemdiche/Conklin types).

While this class doesn't have many elite calibre players, I think you can get scheme-specific guys (especially on the DL) of some quality in the 4th-5th rounds. Hell, there's a couple of guys that'll probably be UDFA's who could make the Bills DL rotation.

Depending on other teams "need" one of those 12 could very well find their way to Buffalo.

19 is outside of the sweet spot and that is why i wish for a couple more picks. But wishing is probably the correct word

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Walter mock, interesting

19. Darron Lee

20. Reggie Ragland

lee plays three downs. Liken him to c. Bennett

Ragland plays 2 downs and I liken him to takeo spikes

See the difference? Who would you rather have in today's game?

Lee just plays 2016 football. He's a former CB & QB. He has the athletic ability to match up with Gronk or slot guys. He can play on all 3 downs. The game is played in space now not in a phone booth. That's the big difference.

When you got to the final 4 in early 2015 Darron Lee was one of the best players on the field. When you got to the final 4 in 2016 Ragland was MIA. He just isn't the athlete to play today. The better the athletes were on the field the more he struggled.

The game is getting smaller and faster (much like the NBA). Big hitting, unathletic LBs and Safeties are pretty much extinct. Teams scheme to isolate those guys and then expose them in space. You already have a guy in Preston Brown that sort of fits that mold. You certainly don't need another. I am hoping for pass rush.

You've posted a series of excellent posts here. Fun to read.

Befor the achilles tear, takeo spikes was great in coverage. I think you may mean brandon spikes ...

I think Lee could be that kind of do it all linebacker that you want if you are going to spend a 1st rounder on the position..... I just think he is still raw at this stage. I'm a tad uncomfortable with him at #19.

I fear Lee is one of those tease type of players who won't be anything special in the NFL.

The Bills would be better off drafting either LB Ragland or OT Decker. Two guys you know will have solid pro careers with no chance of an Aaron Maybin bust mistake that Lee has the potential of being.

I fear Lee is one of those tease type of players who won't be anything special in the NFL.

The Bills would be better off drafting either LB Ragland or OT Decker. Two guys you know will have solid pro careers with no chance of an Aaron Maybin bust mistake that Lee has the potential of being.

If Decker is there he would very much be in the conversation for me. No to Ragland - I have given my reasons why elsewhere.

Edited by GunnerBill

I watched the one about Reed a couple of weeks ago, and Ragland really stuck out to me - yes he had protection in front of him but he goes sideline to sideline and hits with a pop. I'm starting to warm up to Ragland, he reminds me of David Harris:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/05/nfl-draft-jarran-reed-alabama

I watched the one about Reed a couple of weeks ago, and Ragland really stuck out to me - yes he had protection in front of him but he goes sideline to sideline and hits with a pop. I'm starting to warm up to Ragland, he reminds me of David Harris:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/05/nfl-draft-jarran-reed-alabama

that is why I could see Rex taking him if he's there. He really needed a David Harris last year.

lee to me doesn't have the size for the nfl. he's the size of a big safety like chancellor.

I think that the argument is that the NFL is heading that way because of Mark Barron, Deone Bucannon, Telvin Smith etc... They are looking for athletic LBs that can play in the box but cover like safeties. http://www.endzonescore.com/deone-bucannon-leading-hybrid-safetylinebacker-resurgence/35492

I want Rex to choose players that fit his system so we don't hear any excuses after the season.

I want Rex to choose players that fit his system so we don't hear any excuses after the season.

this is a joke right? Rex already has excuses for next year. His scapegoats are already in line. Gilmore will be one of them and Dareus, too.

But he will have aomeomes head chopped

You've posted a series of excellent posts here. Fun to read.

Befor the achilles tear, takeo spikes was great in coverage. I think you may mean brandon spikes ...

spikes was not as good as Bennett. Bennet was on fire when he moved.