Please draft Reggie Ragland…

I wholeheartedly agree that Reggie shouldn't be at the top of the Bills board. He's not the biggest need pick because Preston can do a job at MLB. As much as I love Ragland as a player, I realise that he's probably not the guy we should be after at 19.

Part of me is thinking that LB drops off faster than DL does and that's leading me to thinking of taking LB in the 1st and leaving DL for later rounds (where some real talent should be left at 49). Part of me is thinking the same about an edge rusher. Take Spence or Shaq Lawson if they're available at 19 because the dropoff is pretty severe at EDGE too. Same applies to Taylor Decker if he's available.

What really inspired my mini-rant about Ragland wasn't people like yourself. I'm not blind to circumstance, I know that the team has bigger weaknesses than MLB. It's simply that I hate the fact that certain fallacies (or things I believe to be fallacies) are being spread about him by people that probably haven't ever watched him play. I also dug my heels in after all those idiots decided to get after Teddy Bridgewater because of his Pro Day. Chances are, that was about all most of them saw of Teddy.

In short, I think I hate the draft process. :lol:

:lol:

It can get testy right?...haha

I totally agree with the fall-off at the LB position...I really do...But part of my theory on this Draft is coming from really looking back at Rex in NY and what his preferences were concerning premium Draft picks...I know he's not the final say...But Rex is such a HUGE voice in that room...And IMHO this year just coincidentally lines up really well with players that I have a feeling Rex is going to be jumping up and down for...And I think those players are D-linemen who have versatility, and OLB's like Correa or Fackrell...I guess the 1st round exception would be Floyd if they REALLY think he can be a difference maker rushing the passer...

Right now...Rex knows he has the Brown's and Manny Lawson minimum...The vast majority of Downs the Bills will play 3 true LB's or less...But I see HUGE holes on that D-front...They desperately need to replace Mario with a 5-technique minimum...But I think a lot of these possible prospects at #19 have even more positional versatility...Some can even play NT...And at #49 I think they will look for the OLB/Pass Rush type to play opposite of Hughes...I think if the Bills can fill those two holes this D can take a massive jump in 2016... B-)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just RBs. Milliner, Rolando McClain, Barron, Mt. Cody have been spectacular failures. Our own Kouandjio is looking totally over matched. What bothers me most is that these guys are usually considered safe picks because they played at Bama.

Barron is loved in LA/St. Louis/Whatever. He just got another nice contract and has played really well for them. ALL college teams have their players that pan out and those who don't. The SEC is still a good place to start for talent and Alabama is part of the SEC.

Barron is loved in LA/St. Louis/Whatever. He just got another nice contract and has played really well for them. ALL college teams have their players that pan out and those who don't. The SEC is still a good place to start for talent and Alabama is part of the SEC.

Barron was a total bust in Tampa and just got a mediocre contract.

I don' think the SEC should be avoided. Bama players have been overdrafted recently which is a trend that deserves attention.

I don't think the SEC should be avoided. Bama players have been overdrafted recently which is a trend that deserves attention.

I think you have a point...I'm very interested to see if this trend continues this year...I like both Alabama DT's...But I think there are a couple DT's who will be better Pro's that could certainly be Drafted after Robinson and Reed...

I also like Ragland...But I definitely don't #19-overall-like-him...We'll see... B-)

:lol:

It can get testy right?...haha

I totally agree with the fall-off at the LB position...I really do...But part of my theory on this Draft is coming from really looking back at Rex in NY and what his preferences were concerning premium Draft picks...I know he's not the final say...But Rex is such a HUGE voice in that room...And IMHO this year just coincidentally lines up really well with players that I have a feeling Rex is going to be jumping up and down for...And I think those players are D-linemen who have versatility, and OLB's like Correa or Fackrell...I guess the 1st round exception would be Floyd if they REALLY think he can be a difference maker rushing the passer...

Right now...Rex knows he has the Brown's and Manny Lawson minimum...The vast majority of Downs the Bills will play 3 true LB's or less...But I see HUGE holes on that D-front...They desperately need to replace Mario with a 5-technique minimum...But I think a lot of these possible prospects at #19 have even more positional versatility...Some can even play NT...And at #49 I think they will look for the OLB/Pass Rush type to play opposite of Hughes...I think if the Bills can fill those two holes this D can take a massive jump in 2016... B-)

If we could get Sheldon Rankins, that would be the best pick since Dareus. Can play NT & 5-Tech in base, can play 3-Tech in sub packages. There's only a few interior DL that I think warrant a 1st round pick and not all of them are great fits for the Bills (I think getting a 3-Tech capable DL is paramount to replace Kyle long term and pair with Dareus). Chris Jones is the only other 1st round guy that I think offers any real meaningful pass rush from the 3T spot as a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I like A'Shawn, Jarran Reed, Andrew Billings (and wouldn't complain if any were taken at 19) but I think they're more 1-Tech guys than 3-Tech in sub packages, at least early on. I'm more open to Nkemdiche (despite rallying against him since last summer) and Jonathan Bullard later in the draft because I'm not sure this is a great DL draft in terms of pass rush.

Guys like Dean Lowry (Northwestern) and Ronald Blair (Appalachian State) on Day 3 are other guys to keep an eye on.

If we could get Sheldon Rankins, that would be the best pick since Dareus. Can play NT & 5-Tech in base, can play 3-Tech in sub packages. There's only a few interior DL that I think warrant a 1st round pick and not all of them are great fits for the Bills (I think getting a 3-Tech capable DL is paramount to replace Kyle long term and pair with Dareus). Chris Jones is the only other 1st round guy that I think offers any real meaningful pass rush from the 3T spot as a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I like A'Shawn, Jarran Reed, Andrew Billings (and wouldn't complain if any were taken at 19) but I think they're more 1-Tech guys than 3-Tech in sub packages, at least early on. I'm more open to Nkemdiche (despite rallying against him since last summer) and Jonathan Bullard later in the draft because I'm not sure this is a great DL draft in terms of pass rush.

Guys like Dean Lowry (Northwestern) and Ronald Blair (Appalachian State) on Day 3 are other guys to keep an eye on.

Regarding the 3-tech, one of the reasons that I like guys like Dodd and Lawson are that they can shift down to the 3 in pass rush situations (provided another edge defender is brought into the fold).

That's also why I'm in favor of grabbing Reader or Valentine on day 3--to keep a true nose on the roster so that Dareus can spend some time at 3-tech, where he can be effective as well.

As you know, I'm all in favor of Jones at 19.

Regarding the 3-tech, one of the reasons that I like guys like Dodd and Lawson are that they can shift down to the 3 in pass rush situations (provided another edge defender is brought into the fold).

That's also why I'm in favor of grabbing Reader or Valentine on day 3--to keep a true nose on the roster so that Dareus can spend some time at 3-tech, where he can be effective as well.

As you know, I'm all in favor of Jones at 19.

I actually LOVE that fit for Dodd. I'm more than a little sceptical about him playing SLB or 2-gapping at 5-Tech but he has the skill set to win quickly on the interior. Still think he's being horrendously overhyped so I'd probably disapprove taking him at 19 (or for the Bills in general). I don't see it so much for Shaq, he's almost my prototypical 4-man front LDE and I'd keep him there full time in sub packages.

I'm with you on being enamoured with DJ Reader. I would love him at some point and I think he could evolve into a sub package player eventually. Won't ever win with speed but can already win with brute force and hand technique, just a case of that being refined.

This draft has me so excited and torn a million different ways. I want a mock draft for my sig but I can't decide on anyone.

Reggie has been dealing with a shoulder complaint for a while. It's why he didn't lift at the Combine. Perhaps scouts asked nicely at his Pro Day and he gave it a shot.

I can't help you if you watch him play and think he's weak. He's also not slow (he just isn't fast) and he can cover better than most of the guys you probably think are coverage LB's.

My real problem is that that's the ONLY game 90% of people have watched him in.

I get a LOT of SEC games over here, I've probably watched him a dozen times live. I've watched the 8 games on DraftBreakdown twice over (like with Teddy Bridgewater, I did a re-check after a wall of criticism).

I genuinely don't think enough people have done their due diligence on him. Saw one game and a 40 time and figured they know him as a player. Of course there's exceptions to this (we both know who talks a good game here) but I think the entire draft discussion is diluted by people who get their opinions from elsewhere.

13 reps is chicken **** to get. If you can't get 20+ reps as a premier athlete you're not a premier athlete.

Ragland should be at least that. Pete saying he can get 15, I can do 15 and haven't been to the gym in 3-4 months. And when I was I'd get 36+ reps even in my 30's and only 220 lbs.

13 reps is chicken **** to get. If you can't get 20+ reps as a premier athlete you're not a premier athlete.

Ragland should be at least that. Pete saying he can get 15, I can do 15 and haven't been to the gym in 3-4 months. And when I was I'd get 36+ reps even in my 30's and only 220 lbs.

Completely ignoring the fact that he's had a shoulder injury. I'm not a gym rat like yourself but I'd imagine your arms impact you lifting things.

Jared Allen did 13

Barron was a total bust in Tampa and just got a mediocre contract.

I don' think the SEC should be avoided. Bama players have been overdrafted recently which is a trend that deserves attention.

5 years, $45,000,000 with almost half of that guaranteed isn't very mediocre if you ask me, not for a S converted to LB. He did bust out in Tampa, but it was apparently schematic and positional.

I do agree that some have been overdrafted in a sense, but those defenses Saban has put together have been awfully impressive leading to that. All this being said, the only Alabama player that I would take @ 19 or be happy with if we selected would be Jarran Reed. The guy is solid, takes up blockers, and stuffs the run all day. I think he would fit well with what we need and what we are doing here. Not going to pressure the QB all that often, but he would be an unsung hero on the DL week in and week out. Just my 2. :thumbsup:

I like Rankins...But I'm all-but assuming he's gone...

Jones is my guy and I've already gone to the bank with that... :lol:

I also like Vernon Butler a lot for Rex's scheme... B-)

Jared Allen did 13

and honestly, in my opinion, he's been as overrated as anyone his entire career.

Completely ignoring the fact that he's had a shoulder injury. I'm not a gym rat like yourself but I'd imagine your arms impact you lifting things.

... but 13 reps at 225? for his size, that's like... ok, i don't know how big or strong or tough you are but imagine not being able to do about 20-25 pushups as you are now? i'd liken that to 13 reps of 225 for an athlete to average man comparison.

5 years, $45,000,000 with almost half of that guaranteed isn't very mediocre if you ask me, not for a S converted to LB. He did bust out in Tampa, but it was apparently schematic and positional.

I do agree that some have been overdrafted in a sense, but those defenses Saban has put together have been awfully impressive leading to that. All this being said, the only Alabama player that I would take @ 19 or be happy with if we selected would be Jarran Reed. The guy is solid, takes up blockers, and stuffs the run all day. I think he would fit well with what we need and what we are doing here. Not going to pressure the QB all that often, but he would be an unsung hero on the DL week in and week out. Just my 2. :thumbsup:

My memory failed me. No, I wouldn't call that a mediocre deal either.

... but 13 reps at 225? for his size, that's like... ok, i don't know how big or strong or tough you are but imagine not being able to do about 20-25 pushups as you are now? i'd liken that to 13 reps of 225 for an athlete to average man comparison.

I'm not denying that it's low, just trying to provide context as to why. It doesn't translate as weakness on the field if it's a true number either.

I'm sorry if I came across as a condescending prick.

and honestly, in my opinion, he's been as overrated as anyone his entire career.

Please tell me you're kidding...he's tied for 9th All Time in sacks. He's got 30 more in his career than Terrell Suggs has--despite Suggs being in the league for 1 more season than Allen.

Since sacks became an official stat in 1982, there are 8 players--8!--that have more sacks than Allen.

He's not overrated.

Sorry for the threadjack

Please tell me you're kidding...he's tied for 9th All Time in sacks. He's got 30 more in his career than Terrell Suggs has--despite Suggs being in the league for 1 more season than Allen.

Since sacks became an official stat in 1982, there are 8 players--8!--that have more sacks than Allen.

He's not overrated.

Sorry for the threadjack

i'm not kidding. he maybe a top 50 all time defensive end and it's great that he could get to the qb in the prevalent and heavily favored era of the passing game.

but he was not that good against the run and all purpose edge setting.

I'm not denying that it's low, just trying to provide context as to why. It doesn't translate as weakness on the field if it's a true number either.

I'm sorry if I came across as a condescending prick.

you didn't, at all. no apology needed.

if he had an injury than he had no business lifting. especially when his performance shows enough of his ability.

i'm not kidding. he maybe a top 50 all time defensive end and it's great that he could get to the qb in the prevalent and heavily favored era of the passing game.

but he was not that good against the run and all purpose edge setting.

Do you have any opinions that aren't just terrible?