The best move for the Bills in the draft is to trade down.

With the lack of salary cap, depth and a very quiet free agency a trade down would serve their best interest. Who would trade with them is beyond me, I'll ask others to provide that insight if they agree with this idea. This draft's strength is our weakness and that is defense, especially when it comes to the front 7. We lost too many starters at these positions and our depth is lacking.

I think that we could very possibly end up with 3 good players by time we reach our 2nd rd selection or not much past it. I don't like Rex but at this stage he should be allowed to pick players that are better suited for what he wants and needs to make his kind of defense be successful instead of trying to make inherited players make it work. The infusion of young blood would also be a benefit as well, if not for this season but more importantly for future seasons.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the lack of salary cap, depth and a very quiet free agency a trade down would serve their best interest. Who would trade with them is beyond me, I'll ask others to provide that insight if they agree with this idea. This draft's strength is our weakness and that is defense, especially when it comes to the front 7. We lost too many starters at these positions and our depth is lacking.

I think that we could very possibly end up with 3 good players by time we reach our 2nd rd selection or not much past it. I don't like Rex but at this stage he should be allowed to pick players that are better suited for what he wants and needs to make his kind of defense be successful instead of trying to make inherited players make it work. The infusion of young blood would also be a benefit as well, if not for this season but more importantly for future seasons.

agreed with all, but no one's gonna trade up to 19.

agreed with all, but no one's gonna trade up to 19.

Why not? There may be some guy another team just must have. It happens all the time.

I hope for this scenario also, maybe pick up another 2nd or 3rd.

That would be very helpful this year.

The most likely trade down scenario is where Treadwell is still there in my opinion. Do the Vikings at 23 feel that the risk that Houston takes him at #22 is such that it is worth the 3rd it would cost to trade up to Buffalo's spot at 19? And you would expect that they would try the Redskins and the Jets as partners before us.

Alternatively a run on a position.... we talked on here last week about a possible run on corners in the teens.... if Ramsey, Hargreaves, Apple and Alexander are off the board is a team willing to come up for Jackson? Pittsburgh really like him and Apple from what I hear.... if one is gone and with the Bengals and Washington waiting in the wings as possible corner seekers at 21 and 24 maybe the Steelers jump up?

Edited by GunnerBill

I disagree.

I think all the teams know this is a draft to trade back and gather more picks. It's a "move up" market. If the Bills are desperate to move down they may not get good value on picks they could/would get by trading down. And I don't think teams will be desperate to move up knowing the depth is there in this draft. I think you might see some trades into the top 10 but after that I don't think you'll see much.

There will be talented players on the board at 19. Trust the board and take a player.

I agree with this unless a "top 10" pick at need somehow slides to the Bills. I remember the year we took Gilmore in the 1st, Glenn was my alternate 1st round pick. He fell to the 2nd and we still got him. It happens, talent slides.

Trade down if we have an opportunity unless such a player slides to 19. A lot of decent players at positions of need are very likely to be there in the late 1st or early to mid 2nd. The Bills have really dug themselves a hole this off-season creating holes that were not there last year. It happens when you choose to rebuild the defense.

Good thoughts, I've been thinking the same thing.

I'll go one more and say we may need to trade down a few times and garner more picks.

Ideally we get 3-4 players who can contribute rotationally on defense and 1-2 to help the offense.

I wouldnt be against this.

Question for everyone...

Would you be in favor of the Bills trading out of the first round for say an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick in this years draft?

CBF

Yes because there is such a deep array of talent at areas of weakness. We need some quantity as well as quality. The drop-off in talent is so small at some positions I say go for it.

I am a believer that the value is opposite of conventional wisdom. If everyone wants to move back you should move up because it's better value. If everyone wants to move up you should move back. Always go with the value. The Bills have a lot of needs though so I am in favor of staying put.

If the Bills had a extra 3rd pick I would take Jaylon Smith with it.

Alf you read my mind

That is what I would do with the pick....draft Jaylon Smith. it is a pick we didnt have so we wont miss it for a year.

if Jaylon recaputures even CLOSE to what he was before the injury in a years time we could have a really good group of linebackers

I am a believer that the value is opposite of conventional wisdom. If everyone wants to move back you should move up because it's better value. If everyone wants to move up you should move back. Always go with the value. The Bills have a lot of needs though so I am in favor of staying put.

So you're telling me the best move is for the Bills to make the best deal possible?

So you're telling me the best move is for the Bills to make the best deal possible?

Ha ha, pretty much I guess.

I will give 2 real examples. The Rams were better off trading down in the RGIII draft and the Dolphins were better off trading up for Dion Jordan (even though the player didn't work out). Make the best value move using the trade chart as a guide.