NFL Network on Tyrod: Bills won't pay him. Pay the man!

Who cares?

Actually, I do. Because it's annoying. All of my friends and co-workers who don't follow the Bills hit me with this crap constantly, and trust me, the last thing they want to hear is my explanation of what's really going on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were saying the same things about Russell Wilson for two years. That he had won the SB but was the third highest paid QB ... On his own team. It was laughable at first because he wasn't even eligible for an extension yet. But a lot of people didn't know that so NFLN squawked about it anyway because they cater to soundbites than can be tweeted out and clicked.

Well..that's not the case with TT, which is why they are saying pay the man.

Imagine what those same media personalities would be saying in 9 months if the Bills paid Taylor large only to find out that he showed his ceiling in 2015. Just know this: The national media's perception of a team or player is almost solely based upon the success of that team or player. Teams that do precisely the same things are looked at very differently and the reason is solely their track record. The perception of the Bills will change only when they start winning. Every team (with the exception of some of the large market teams) is treated the same in this regard.

Edited by BarleyNY

Na, the Bills will just wait until he has a really good season and his value skyrockets before they pay him. Always slow to the punch, that's why the Bills are the Bills

Actually, even if he wins us the Super Bowl next year, he really won't get paid much that more than if we were going to pay him right now. The going rate for a decent QB is $18 million per season. For comparison, Rodgers, Wilson, and Flacco make $22 million per season. If we are going to pay him Franchise QB money, +/- a few million per season isn't going to matter at that point.

Pay the man?? We were 8 and 8 last year. No play offs again. Hurt for how many games. Out two. What does he have in his history that deserves 18 mil a year? Running QB's get hurt. I believe the proper thing to do is wait. If he produces than he gets rewarded. Until than he signed a contract and was happy than. He should be happy now.

Na, the Bills will just wait until he has a really good season and his value skyrockets before they pay him. Always slow to the punch, that's why the Bills are the Bills

If the Bills signed him to a moderate contract and he had a great season then he would just want to renegotiate anyway. So you might as well wait.

Edited by vincec

Did anyone actually sound intelligent and bring up the fact that we dont have the money to pay him?

They could probably find a way to fit an extension under the 2016 cap since first year cap hits often can be minimized, but they still shouldn't do it. I'm not sold on Taylor and even if I was I still wouldn't want him extended yet. He's very cheap this season and even if he earns a big contract in 2016 the money saved by only paying him $3M in salary this season will go a long way toward any increases he earns for a long term deal.

Edited by BarleyNY

Actually, even if he wins us the Super Bowl next year, he really won't get paid much that more than if we were going to pay him right now. The going rate for a decent QB is $18 million per season. For comparison, Rodgers, Wilson, and Flacco make $22 million per season. If we are going to pay him Franchise QB money, +/- a few million per season isn't going to matter at that point.

i think the bills will be happy to pay him market rate if he has a really good season. I don't think they see that as a risk. The bigger risk is paying him now before they know for sure. If they still don't know if they want to "marry him" after this year, but want to keep "dating him" and see where it goes, that's a good case for the tag. They have the ability to pay him next year though if he earns it. And I'm sure they hope he does. Edited by YoloinOhio

There's a lot of really simple math involved here. Right now? The Bills do not really have the money to pay anyone except Cordy to try to lower his cap number and Gilmore if it lowers his. The only other thing we can do to create room is start cutting our vets who make the most, ala Kyle Williams (which still wouldn't free up enough to pay Tyrod). We also still have to have money set aside to sign our rookies. All these d*******s sitting in front of a camera on ANY network would all lose on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader". Next year we will have $30,000,000 or more so a deal next year is much more feasible. If Tyrod has a good year then good for him, pay the man. Until then tell your agent to stfu and realize that the Bills WILL pay you if you show well on the field this year because they WILL have the $ to do so next offseason.

Edited by H2o

Did anyone actually sound intelligent and bring up the fact that we dont have the money to pay him?

Not one bit. You'd think coming from NFLN they would like know this stuff? It was all emotional reaction.

Actually, I do. Because it's annoying. All of my friends and co-workers who don't follow the Bills hit me with this crap constantly, and trust me, the last thing they want to hear is my explanation of what's really going on.

Same with me. No one New England actually follows the Bills but they react to this soundbite crap. "Same old Bills. Won't pay their pro Bowl QB, lol."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i think the bills will be happy to pay him market rate if he has a really good season. I don't think they see that as a risk. The bigger risk is paying him now before they know for sure. If they still don't know if they want to "marry him" after this year, but want to keep "dating him" and see where it goes, that's a good case for the tag. They have the ability to pay him next year though if he earns it. And I'm sure they hope he does.

Additionally they already signed him to an extremely player friendly deal last year. If you play a certain percentage (win the starting job), the 3rd year is void and you become a free agent after the second. The Bills gave Tyrod the opportunity to be in this position - yet they're not doing right by him? (not saying you said that). The national media is so uninformed it's embarrassing. Problem is no one outside of the market they're talking about knows - so it just goes on and on and on.

Edited by Triple Threat

Putting aside the fact that the comment is ignorant at best concerning our cap situation, you also REALLY need to keep in mind that the person making that statement was Michael Robinson, who is a close personal friend of Tyrod's. That's not a narrative, it's a friend making a comment and hoping it catches on so that his friend gets paid.

https://www.nfl.com/now/10103061-7033-0000-0064-7126e9077248?campaign=fb-nf-sf23228098-sf23228098

On a segment about three players primed to take off in 2016, Tyrod Taylor was #2 on the list. But note the verbal headline from hosts Coleen Wolfe and Michael Robinson about 30 seconds in.

"He wants to get paid but the Bills don't want to pay him. Pay the man! Pay the man!"

So while we all know the details of Tyrod and the Bills...the Bills cap situation, Tyrod still having to prove himself, etc, etc, the media has reduced it to a "Bills are cheap" soundbite. So now everyone who isn't a Bills fan has this impression of his situation.

Most of NFL Network commentaries never worked in front office so know NOTHING about balancing salary cap, doing restructuring, etc. It is just what I expect from mostly ex-athletes whose only goal was to get as high as possible paycheck and then hold out when the team would not renegotiate during the period they were locked out.

I really hate this idea. Taylor signed a three year deal. His reward for outplaying the contract in his first year was the ability to void the third year. I'm sure if they had the cap space and he had the inclination, the Bills would want to lock him up long term. But at this point I don't think his idea of his market value and their's would be close at all.

i think the bills will be happy to pay him market rate if he has a really good season. I don't think they see that as a risk. The bigger risk is paying him now before they know for sure. If they still don't know if they want to "marry him" after this year, but want to keep "dating him" and see where it goes, that's a good case for the tag. They have the ability to pay him next year though if he earns it. And I'm sure they hope he does.

this

There is a concept called 'good faith'.

The Bills should at least throw the guy a bone.

If Tyrod should happen to light it up in '16, he will remember the back burner attitude w/regard to his salary.

Penny wise.........etc., etc.........

What a ridiculous an uninformed post. They signed him to a 3 year deal that had pay escalators tied into playing time for 2015 - the Bills also doubled down by allowing his 2015 play time to escalate his 2016 salary. Then they tripled down and if his 2015 play time hit certain levels his 3rd year could be voided allowing him to become a free agent - knowing full well it would give him the freedom to get a big payday a year earlier. The Bills have made good on their end and Taylor earned the maximum out of his contract. It was a Tyrod friendly contract and he should be extremely thankful.