NFL Network on Tyrod: Bills won't pay him. Pay the man!

Question: does anyone really think Tyrod is "upset" over his contract situation? He had a nice statistical year but his team didn't make the playoffs and he missed two games. Management has named him the de facto starter going into 2016 and said he'll have an opportunity to earn a long-term deal. He has the chance he always wanted -- to earn a role as a franchise QB.

This is much ado about nothing. We should be so lucky if Tyrod blows up this year and leads the team to the playoffs; I have no doubt management will make every effort to lock him up long term.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: does anyone really think Tyrod is "upset" over his contract situation? He had a nice statistical year but his team didn't make the playoffs and he missed two games. Management has named him the de facto starter going into 2016 and said he'll have an opportunity to earn a long-term deal. He has the chance he always wanted -- to earn a role as a franchise QB.

This is much ado about nothing. We should be so lucky if Tyrod blows up this year and leads the team to the playoffs; I have no doubt management will make every effort to lock him up long term.

Agree. All good qb's will definetly find a payday.

Earn it on the field, dont get waxed by the Alex Smiths and Sam Bradfords of the world.

I would not put Smith in the same class as Bradford.

If Smith had been the 2014 Bills qb instead of EJ/Orton, I am certain they would have been a playoff team. For that matter, Tyrod would have put them in the playoffs in 2015 if not for Rex destroying the team.

Nothing ridiculous about creating 'good faith' for an expected renegotiation for next season. Nothing says 'we believe in you,and your future' like more $$$. It does not have to be a king's ransom.

BTW, are you always this short sighted?

What should they do? Give him a Starbuck's gift card? There are rules called a collective bargaining agreement and a salary cap.

Mannn he signed a contract, he didn't start one game before this season and quite frankly he's still got a lot to improve on. I really really like Tyrod but he owes Buffalo more than Buffalo owes him at this point. The Bills put him in a position to play for a big contract.

Nothing ridiculous about creating 'good faith' for an expected renegotiation for next season. Nothing says 'we believe in you,and your future' like more $$$. It does not have to be a king's ransom.

BTW, are you always this short sighted?

I'd want something more than giving TT warm and fuzzy feelings for a salary bump. It's not like the Bills can't tag him - or that his 2016 salary plus the 2017 tag isn't less than what he's looking for with a new deal. I'd think the Bills would be inclined to give him a moderate deal, but it seems like he wants a big contract. I respect the man for betting on himself because you don't get it both ways. If he does, well, then I'd wager all the bad feelings will be gone when he signs his big deal and gets his big signing bonus in the offseason. If not, then he lost that bet on himself and he signs somewhere else for backup money - and the Bills saved some money.

I think you are dead on the money saying he had a nice statistical year. The problem is not a lot of those stats were garnered in the 4th quarter of tight games. We have had thread upon thread here bout Fitz being Fitz...he might get ya close, but he will be Fitz in the end. And the bills are still ridiculed over that contract, especially on this board. (BTW, I was all for the Fitz extension)

Someone please point out to me based on one season how Tyrod is different? Made a play in Tennesee, yes. But i think he had 5 4th quarter drives either tied or behind by a score, and Tennessee was only game they scored points.

His overall body of work in "clutch time" , right now, leaves something to be desired. And in a league like the NFL where the margin of victory is more often than not 1 score, 4th quarter play matters!

Only problem i have is everyone saying " if he has a good year they will just tag him" . Problem is Glenn has the tag now, and if no long term agreemnt is reached by July 15th, that means either him or Tyrod be UFA next year. They also have to deal with Gilmore, or he will also be a UFA next year. Only one tag, 3 key players to get signed.

Edited by plenzmd1

Am I wrong in thinking that if they wait until a few games have passed, it would go on the 2017 cap?

No, it would still go on 2016 accounting - even the first prorated portion of the signing bonus. If they did something for him during the year they could give him a split signing bonus though. That'd mean he'd get a portion of it (something the Bills could afford) immediately and then the rest at the start of the league year. He'd have the security of his long term deal, some extra cash in hand and the knowledge another big chunk of cash was coming in a few months.

Edited by BarleyNY

i think the bills will be happy to pay him market rate if he has a really good season. I don't think they see that as a risk. The bigger risk is paying him now before they know for sure. If they still don't know if they want to "marry him" after this year, but want to keep "dating him" and see where it goes, that's a good case for the tag. They have the ability to pay him next year though if he earns it. And I'm sure they hope he does.

Bingo! Whaley has pretty much said this over and over....if Tyrod shows consistency/improvement, they will be more than happy to pay him whatever the market is at the time...gotta earn it first. He has done a great job so far, but he isn't there just yet...let him get there.

Earn it on the field, dont get waxed by the Alex Smiths and Sam Bradfords of the world.

tyrod was 21-36-0-291 3tds against the #7 defense on the road in a tough place to play

smith was 19-30-0-255 2 tds, it was Spencer Ware going 19-114 that decided the game

if it were one on one tyrod vs alex smith or bradford he'd win in a walk....but its not

Here is another thing I dont understand when media says this

If you want to look truly informed......then tell people the truth that TYROD TAYLOR CANNOT GO ANYWHERE unless the Bills allow it.

They can franchise him next year and it would cost roughly the same as he would get paid on a new deal anyway (it might not be as cap friendly but the fact still remains)

Tyrod is not going anywhere unless the bills allow it to happen.

tyrod was 21-36-0-291 3tds against the #7 defense on the road in a tough place to play

smith was 19-30-0-255 2 tds, it was Spencer Ware going 19-114 that decided the game

if it were one on one tyrod vs alex smith or bradford he'd win in a walk....but its not

0-2 vs them. It is what it is.

To next season.

https://www.nfl.com/now/10103061-7033-0000-0064-7126e9077248?campaign=fb-nf-sf23228098-sf23228098

On a segment about three players primed to take off in 2016, Tyrod Taylor was #2 on the list. But note the verbal headline from hosts Coleen Wolfe and Michael Robinson about 30 seconds in.

"He wants to get paid but the Bills don't want to pay him. Pay the man! Pay the man!"

So while we all know the details of Tyrod and the Bills...the Bills cap situation, Tyrod still having to prove himself, etc, etc, the media has reduced it to a "Bills are cheap" soundbite. So now everyone who isn't a Bills fan has this impression of his situation.

The same NFL Network that once proudly employed Warren Sapp and Darren Sharper...